Sponsored

Is a GT too impractical for daily driving?

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
Yes, these cars are GT cars, so they're great on the FWY. Effortless, quiet, comfortable, planted.

But get yours onto the mountains, in the twistys. With the PP, they're fantastic.
I can't wait to hit the Ozarks with mine and have some fun in the mountains. I do agree that they are phenomenal on the freeway. I continue to be impressed how effortless my commute is.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
And before I leave this thread - which BTW was fun, let me add this. If you are worrying about gas mileage and driving performance cars, you’re disposable income is all used up. Don’t bother arguing because we have all been there. There are some cheap people with money that will pine over gas mileage but trust me, they won’t buy a Mustang GT! So take that as a hint that you could do better with your finances. If you are young and want the shiny new car to date and fish for a wife then fine. I did that, then when you get married you get a house and get a practical car. Especially if you want kids. You can’t reinvent the wheel here, it’s called being responsible. Me and my dad down the road own two houses worth over 2.5 million and that is just property, and yet I only bought a base V6 Mustang. And I was supposed to buy a Hyundai Elantra as my DD!

Anyway, enough of this...

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
This thread really degraded. Hopefully it didn't drive the OP away.

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
Although I have another car, I easily put 200-300 miles on my GT a week. I have had zero issues and don't consider it impractical for what it is. When I had my EB it was also a DD. In my opinion, if you do have heavy city traffic there is a noticeable difference between the EB and GT in terms of fuel economy. But on the highway, if you cruise, you can hit 22-24 mpg pretty easily with the GT which is great for what it is.
And also I'm not sure cause I've always 92+, but I think you need 93 in the Ecoboost for full power.

I've put 15k miles on my GT most of which was commuting and other regular miles. Have had no issues and recommend it.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
And before I leave this thread - which BTW was fun, let me add this. If you are worrying about gas mileage and driving performance cars, you’re disposable income is all used up. Don’t bother arguing because we have all been there. There are some cheap people with money that will pine over gas mileage but trust me, they won’t buy a Mustang GT! So take that as a hint that you could do better with your finances. If you are young and want the shiny new car to date and fish for a wife then fine. I did that, then when you get married you get a house and get a practical car. Especially if you want kids. You can’t reinvent the wheel here, it’s called being responsible. Me and my dad down the road own two houses worth over 2.5 million and that is just property, and yet I only bought a base V6 Mustang. And I was supposed to buy a Hyundai Elantra as my DD!

Really? I own my own home, have a wife and a beautiful daughter. Daughter LOVES my car and she and my wife help me work on it. Not the richest guy in the world but to think you have to get rid of things just to have a family is retarded. You can be responsible AND live your own life as well.

Sponsored

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer

I don't agree completely. It all depends on income and debt. Buying a Mustang GT could be very responsible for someone that could afford a new Porsche if they wanted.

Someone renting with 3 kids and worried about putting food on the table...complete opposite.....

I also live in an expensive area...own a house...send the kids to private school...have 200k worth of weekend cars and still felt financially comfortable buying an 18 GT.

Years ago I drove beater cars while wife finished her doctorate and saving for a house because I knew buying a new car would not be responsible.

And yes I still care about fuel mileage and almost bought an EcoBoost because of it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't agree completely. It all depends on income and debt. Buying a Mustang GT could be very responsible for someone that could afford a new Porsche if they wanted.

Someone renting with 3 kids and worried about putting food on the table...complete opposite.....

I also live in an expensive area...own a house...send the kids to private school...have 200k worth of weekend cars and still felt financially comfortable buying an 18 GT.

Years ago I drove beater cars while wife finished her doctorate and saving for a house because I knew buying a new car would not be responsible.

And yes I still care about fuel mileage and almost bought an EcoBoost because of it.
Choosing to buy a new car that has good fuel economy makes sense to me - if that is important to you. Considering all the costs associated with a car prior to buying is important. Buying a SECOND new car with better fuel economy to drive part of the time - ostensibly to save money - typically DOESN'T make sense financially and the math is super simple to do. Between depreciation, storage, maintenance, insurance, etc. - all the costs of a new car are pretty high compared to the cost of fuel (unless you drive way more miles than most).

I would think that we can both agree with Fatguy on that point, which was my main takeaway from what he was saying in this thread.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I do 35 miles each way in a stick shift. 8 of it is 2 lane country road and most mornings I run it 70mph and up for most of it (unless I get behind a slowpoke). I run about 78 on the interstate for most of the rest of the trip (aside from a high speed blast at the on-ramp when traffic is clear, which is almost always) until I do a few miles in a downtown, which is stop and go.

I average about 18mpg. I would be fine with driving in that downtown all the time but if I did a lot of bumper to bumper on the interstate every single day it would get old and I'd be rolling in an auto (even though I'm FUN-damentally opposed to automatic sportscars). It starts to wear on the foot, releasing that clutch in first gear over and over. 18mpg is better than my Tacoma gets or ever got when it was my daily, so I think it's fine for a commute. If I was more easy on the throttle during the commute I'm certain I could pull off at least 21. Others get more but where I live is very hilly.

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
"GT" stands for "Grand Touring". This car is meant to be driven. I DD my '16GT MT-82 and absolutely love it.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
OP is probably long gone, but here's my advice to people shopping for sports cars:

Calculate your commute in miles. Find the average area price for the octane you plan on using. Calculate an estimate of your annual fuel costs. Make sure to estimate leisure driving too. I usually estimate 10,000 miles total a year and calculate from that number. Use online calculators if you're bad at math like I am. Split it into monthly figures. Use the EPA averages for mpg estimates. Don't be optimistic. If your 15 mile commute takes an hour in stop and go, don't use 20mpg as a estimate.

Can you afford that number?

That's what it comes down to ultimately. Is a GT a good daily driver? Yes. Is it a good daily driver for you? Figure it out yourself. You have to think about this stuff in actual dollars and cents. Stuff in life is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. Are you willing to pay for the fuel costs on this car?

Sponsored

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
8 of it is 2 lane country road and most mornings I run it 70mph and up for most of it (unless I get behind a slowpoke).
If we're being honest....is that not the most painful thing in the world when it happens?!?! :frusty:

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I did that, then when you get married you get a house and get a practical car. Especially if you want kids. You can’t reinvent the wheel here, it’s called being responsible. Me and my dad down the road own two houses worth over 2.5 million and that is just property, and yet I only bought a base V6 Mustang. And I was supposed to buy a Hyundai Elantra as my DD!

I'm by no means rich but I have a family and really wasn't financially in a position to buy a second personal vehicle until well AFTER I had kids..lol. I just don't blow money on a huge mortgage or a boat or something else. I'm not really frugal either. I just take care of what I need to take care of. Paid off my truck, kept it, and financed the GT at a low rate. Could have saved for a few years and paid cash but financed at a low rate (or zero for some people) lets you outpace the depreciation and not blow your own cash on the purchase.

Property is overrated unless you own apartments or something with someone paying you rent. Personal home and property ownership in a stable price area is just a money pit. Interest, taxes, repairs, remodeling, etc. In the end you'd have to live 20 years past the end of the mortgage to make any real money off it.

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
"GT" stands for "Grand Touring". This car is meant to be driven. I DD my '16GT MT-82 and absolutely love it.
Amen to that. Fortunately, there's no such thing as traffic out in this area of Kansas. Nothing but open road!

My wife really wants us to get a Bronco for a third car when the new ones come out. Although, I'm also considering a beater for when severe weather is on the forecast. Hail is evil. I'm sure you know how that goes.

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
Choosing to buy a new car that has good fuel economy makes sense to me - if that is important to you. Considering all the costs associated with a car prior to buying is important. Buying a SECOND new car with better fuel economy to drive part of the time - ostensibly to save money - typically DOESN'T make sense financially and the math is super simple to do. Between depreciation, storage, maintenance, insurance, etc. - all the costs of a new car are pretty high compared to the cost of fuel (unless you drive way more miles than most).

I would think that we can both agree with Fatguy on that point, which was my main takeaway from what he was saying in this thread.
Agree... my wife drives an Expedition...when gas prices hit 5 a gallon here I leased her a 4 cylinder fusion for 0 down and 200 a month....came out positive for 15 of the 24 months..lost a little for 9 months but overall net was slightly positive..

No depreciation no storage no maintenance on the fusion because lease lol plus less miles on the Expedition = less depreciation

But yes buying a new Accord Sport to save money over a Mustang at 3 a gallon makes no sense.....

If you want to make the Mustang a weekend car cool but let's call a spade a spade

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I've always owned a "toy" car. Was never my only driver, so I DD during summer fair weather days only with my toy car and have my Legacy for winters and rainy days.

My '17 GT is very enjoyable and if it was my only car, luckily I can afford more than 1, I would have no qualms about daily driving it.
Sponsored