Sponsored

Is a GT too impractical for daily driving?

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
If we're being honest....is that not the most painful thing in the world when it happens?!?! :frusty:
Yes..lol, and especially when you only have two safe places to pass. I have many times passed two vehicles at once and my record is three. But, rarely will I ever do it in any of the other half dozen or so legal passing zones. Too many houses too close to the road. Plus...DEER. Someone commented earlier about taking theirs out in the Ozarks. You have to have eyes peeled AT ALL TIMES for deer. KY and WV are my primary stomping grounds and I see deer almost every day. Luckily I've only hit them in my truck. But ripping it around a blind corner in thick vegetation is just asking for blood and hair on a smashed front end.
Sponsored

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
Yes..lol, and especially when you only have two safe places to pass. I have many times passed two vehicles at once and my record is three. But, rarely will I ever do it in any of the other half dozen or so legal passing zones. Too many houses too close to the road. Plus...DEER. Someone commented earlier about taking theirs out in the Ozarks. You have to have eyes peeled AT ALL TIMES for deer. KY and WV are my primary stomping grounds and I see deer almost every day. Luckily I've only hit them in my truck. But ripping it around a blind corner in thick vegetation is just asking for blood and hair on a smashed front end.
I mentioned the Ozarks, and I completely agree. It's a regular stomping ground for my wife and me, and it is definitely deer central. Then again, I grew up in North Georgia and am very experienced with "suicidal" deer. Only vehicle I nailed one in was my SVT Focus. Had to put down the deer and luckily the car had no damage considering it was a 60MPH hit.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
I kinda wonder about my GT as well as a daily driver.
For the most part i love the excessive amounts of power and sound. But it does get a bit wearing sometimes when my exhaust outside is vibrating glasses in the kitchen, and the gas mileage..well yeah it sucks. There has been an occasion or few, where i was going up hill and the ground was slightly wet and i fishtailed in the lane... not a big deal if you can drive a car but you just gotta pay attention.

Its a great car overall but part of me wants something more sensible and "easier" for daily. Just seems like such an event getting in my car to go up the street lol. There is also times im going 70 and want to get to 80, and a downshift and pull would last like 3 seconds and im going 90 so not much fun during pulls on daily driving. When its opened up its fun. But damn that v8 is glorious

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
It has plenty of trunk room to be practical. I can fit me and two others comfortably, since my fiancee is 5'6" she can fit in the back with enough headroom to not bump the roof behind my best friend who is 6'1". I have a tuned 17gt PP and get about 20mpg avg per tank with mostly bumper to bumper highway driving. When it's mostly city I get about 17mpg. Not awful, but if it stretches your budget (have to think about the seriously expensive tires and insurance if you're pretty young) I don't think any car is worth tapping out your monthly budget.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
It has plenty of trunk room to be practical. I can fit me and two others comfortably, since my fiancee is 5'6" she can fit in the back with enough headroom to not bump the roof behind my best friend who is 6'1". I have a tuned 17gt PP and get about 20mpg avg per tank with mostly bumper to bumper highway driving. When it's mostly city I get about 17mpg. Not awful, but if it stretches your budget (have to think about the seriously expensive tires and insurance if you're pretty young) I don't think any car is worth tapping out your monthly budget.
I'm not sure I'd put the fiancee in the back unless she insisted.

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I kinda wonder about my GT as well as a daily driver.
For the most part i love the excessive amounts of power and sound. But it does get a bit wearing sometimes when my exhaust outside is vibrating glasses in the kitchen, and the gas mileage..well yeah it sucks. There has been an occasion or few, where i was going up hill and the ground was slightly wet and i fishtailed in the lane... not a big deal if you can drive a car but you just gotta pay attention.

Its a great car overall but part of me wants something more sensible and "easier" for daily. Just seems like such an event getting in my car to go up the street lol. There is also times im going 70 and want to get to 80, and a downshift and pull would last like 3 seconds and im going 90 so not much fun during pulls on daily driving. When its opened up its fun. But damn that v8 is glorious
Active exhaust really helps. Quiet mode gives it an almost Euro feel. It's like having 2 cars in one.

jimmybuffit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 50th Year
Of course if your pinching every penny out of your budget I can see being torn, the way I look at it, If I goto starbucks a few times less in the month there is the difference right there. To have the GT is worth cutting something else out but thats my opinion. I hear good things about the EB too

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Of course if your pinching every penny out of your budget I can see being torn, the way I look at it, If I goto starbucks a few times less in the month there is the difference right there. To have the GT is worth cutting something else out but thats my opinion. I hear good things about the EB too

Well you my friend brought me back in here just because of Starbucks.

NO: YOU WILL NOT CUT BACK AT STARBUCKS!

I tried that and it worked for a few days and I am back to the same antics and even upped the routine. Guys! If you have to start cutting back on things to drive a car, then you can’t afford it! You are already maxed out! Other stuff will happen that need money and you either ditch the car or start to max out your credit card!

Crap! I feel like your dad!

I guess the only way to learn is to do what you want and fuck up financially. Then when you have to come crawling back to dad to co-sign a loan to get you out of that shit, he will hold that over your head for the rest of your life. Mine did! Yes it happened to me...

Now: Go get your new GT and get the real loud exhaust and video tape it on YouTube. Then you can drive the new Ford Focus they give you when your GT’s aluminum forks on your new and improved tranny break and they replace it with the same aluminium forks... :rant: Well you get the drift. :D

Last edited:

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yes, if you like cars and really want one and can afford it, just do it. Last month I put my money down on a Bullitt. Didn't tell the "wife", because I knew she would not approve. I figured better to have just one "discussion" after the purchase rather than one before and one after.... As they say "better to ask for forgiveness, rather than ask for permission."

It's a tough decision. Last year I test drove an EB. Bags of power, I was quite impressed. Then a few days later we were out for dinner and as we stepped out of the restaurant a GT fired up right at the curb, and I was thinking, how can you not want that sound......

remember you more often regret the thing to don't do, rather the things you do......
Amen, Brother, A-facken-men.

Money can always be earned. It's the time that is a precious commodity.

"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable." - Sydney J. Harris

Sponsored
OP
OP

mustangshopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I mentioned the Ozarks, and I completely agree. It's a regular stomping ground for my wife and me, and it is definitely deer central. Then again, I grew up in North Georgia and am very experienced with "suicidal" deer. Only vehicle I nailed one in was my SVT Focus. Had to put down the deer and luckily the car had no damage considering it was a 60MPH hit.
Sounds terrible. No suicidal deer here, just the occasional suicidal squirrel. Can't imagine hitting something that big

OP
OP

mustangshopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Too tired to respond to everyone but thanks for all the input! I saw a couple common themes and I guess I'll address them all at once. I am concerned about mpg probably needlessly, it is something that is driven into my head thanks to my frugal fiance. But like you guys said, kind of a moot point when you drive a GT - and yes I should stop worrying about the prissy neighbors.

So I went and properly test drove a GT today. It was honestly really awesome. Might have given the sales guy a bit of a heart attack during the ride but I fell in love as soon as I started the car. I still like Ecoboosts but I'm not sure there's any turning back! I think I'll wait to see Velocity Blue in person; hoping I will like it at least as much as DIB. There are no Lightning Blues with the options I want in my area.

As for finances, I'm well aware of how budgeting works haha. I am not stretching myself thin by any means. At the same time, I don't feel a need to spend more just because I have that extra money (though this may change when I finally have a Mustang to mod). In conclusion, I think a GT with the Quiet Mode option would be just perfect! I can't wait to join the 8-pack club :)

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I have a GT. I would never want to commute daily in it? Why?
1-Traffic. Even if it's not stop/go. Still crowded where there's no real fun driving. That is unless you have a dream commute with no traffic. But driving it into the city? Hell no. The GT is a handful in that environment

2-For me the quickest way to get sick of a GT is to drive it daily......especially into the city. I love taking my GT out on weekends to my favorite spots and then going for a run. No traffic and a blast. Never get sick of it. I would if I drove it every day.

3-The gas mpg sucks. Give me a fun little 4cyl to take the daily commute beating and not drain my wallet in gas. I actually like little 4 banger cars. They're fun to me.

If I could only have one car? Probably wouldn't be a GT. More likely a Focus ST or Fiesta ST.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
...So I went and properly test drove a GT today. It was honestly really awesome. Might have given the sales guy a bit of a heart attack during the ride but I fell in love as soon as I started the car.....
Funny you should mention that.

My local dealership has stopped giving test drives to prospective Mustang customers as the salesmen (yes, all men) are no longer willing to sit in the passenger seat anymore.

Too many test drivers looping the car at throttle up!!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Funny you should mention that.

My local dealership has stopped giving test drives to prospective Mustang customers as the salesmen (yes, all men) are no longer willing to sit in the passenger seat anymore.

Too many test drivers looping the car at throttle up!!
Your local dealership is about to lose a lot of sales. It's a mass produced car for crying out loud, not a Civic Type-R. Allocate one of the GT's for test driving purposes. Simple.
Sponsored