Ford Racing ProCal Tune

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
A catch can on that side will be fine, I wouldn't drive with thetune without the airbox installed, but I drove air box installed for 1 day tgen put the tune on the car the next day.
Thanks! It came today, can goes on Wednesday and hopefully the tune on Thursday!
Sponsored

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I drove with an aftermarket CAI and no tune for a year. Does not make a difference.

Likewise, you do not need to run the Ford CAI with the tune, except for the warranty obligation. Tune+ has done testing and found that the stock airbox with an airaid tube and green filter makes the most HP. The difference between intakes is marginal.

The intake is the most disappointing part of the ford tune package. If they would have left that out and just sold the tune at a cheaper price they would move millions of them.

LuckyJerk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT
In light of a resent thread "Engine Comes Apart" I wonder if there have been any word on an ecoboost engine failing with the FP tune on it?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
In light of a resent thread "Engine Comes Apart" I wonder if there have been any word on an ecoboost engine failing with the FP tune on it?
I haven't heard of any. :ford:

LuckyJerk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
This makes me want to go this path more and more lol. :D
I think it's definitely the safe path. I know I've said this before but I still believe this is the only warranted tune. If you think about that for a minute, it has to be safe or the business model falls apart. Ford Performance worked on the Performance Pack for the Ecoboost for almost 2 years. They had to get it right for multiple reasons but #1 is the business case. We're only paying $500-$600 for the performance pack. That's not what FP is getting unless bought directly from them. Then there is the cost of the hardware itself that goes with the kit, the OBD2 adapter, Pro Cal 3 development and the time into the engineering of the tune. Many other costs are factored in there too but too many to try to list. So their margin on each Performance Pack sold is not that great. When 1 engine lets go, they get charged by the dealer doing the work for the repair. Too many of those and they'd lose money rather than make money and that's just not good business.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
I put my airbox in yesterday and will get the tune installed tomorrow. I had to modify a couple of the fins on the airbox due to them hitting my mishimoto cold pipe. But no biggie! Here's hoping by the weekend I'll feel the difference!

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
I think it's definitely the safe path. I know I've said this before but I still believe this is the only warranted tune. If you think about that for a minute, it has to be safe or the business model falls apart. Ford Performance worked on the Performance Pack for the Ecoboost for almost 2 years. They had to get it right for multiple reasons but #1 is the business case. We're only paying $500-$600 for the performance pack. That's not what FP is getting unless bought directly from them. Then there is the cost of the hardware itself that goes with the kit, the OBD2 adapter, Pro Cal 3 development and the time into the engineering of the tune. Many other costs are factored in there too but too many to try to list. So their margin on each Performance Pack sold is not that great. When 1 engine lets go, they get charged by the dealer doing the work for the repair. Too many of those and they'd lose money rather than make money and that's just not good business.
Ford Performance is kind of a gray area and confusing, they are considered sub division yet they are the ones that directly tune the Focus RS from the factory? It has FP on the windows sticker and motor, Isn't it the same team for this tune since its essentially the same motor?

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Not sure the boom is 100% related to tune... at least one person claimed to be 100% stock.

No one has claimed to have the FP tune though. Wondering how many had a tune before the FP tune though. :shrug:

Aaron_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M/T PP 2.3 EB
Bout 3k miles on my ford tune so far. No issues what so ever. The way the car pulls over 100 mph is very impressive compared to what it was stock. 120-160 mph comes much faster than you'd expect.

Beat a new AWD SHO to 60 by about a car...

Also pulled away from some teenager in a straightpiped 2012ish looking GT with a 2nd gear punch. He was, surprised to say the least. Pulled the ole' ragequit and take the first side street to hide once he realized that adding 50 decibels to his v8 isn't enough to take this poor' ole 4 banger.

Man, I really really need an intercooler.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Bout 3k miles on my ford tune so far. No issues what so ever. The way the car pulls over 100 mph is very impressive compared to what it was stock. 120-160 mph comes much faster than you'd expect.

Beat a new AWD SHO to 60 by about a car...

Also pulled away from some teenager in a straightpiped 2012ish looking GT with a 2nd gear punch. He was, surprised to say the least. Pulled the ole' ragequit and take the first side street to hide once he realized that adding 50 decibels to his v8 isn't enough to take this poor' ole 4 banger.

Man, I really really need an intercooler.
I thought the FP tune was limited to 120 or 130....

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious how many on here did their own install? I'm very close to the 36k mark and it seems foolish to pay someone over $100 to do something so simple for only a few month's coverage.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I'm curious how many on here did their own install? I'm very close to the 36k mark and it seems foolish to pay someone over $100 to do something so simple for only a few month's coverage.
If you're that close I'd prolly say screw it and do it myself. All you need is a laptop. Or go with a tune from one of the big names.
Sponsored