Ford Racing ProCal Tune

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
If you're that close I'd prolly say screw it and do it myself. All you need is a laptop. Or go with a tune from one of the big names.
Yeah, after reading the very difficult-to-find instructions, I'm doing it myself.
Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I'm curious how many on here did their own install? I'm very close to the 36k mark and it seems foolish to pay someone over $100 to do something so simple for only a few month's coverage.
I was going to get this tune but then decided to save my money and sell a few toys and get the GT. Unfortunately after driving a few GT's I have left somewhat unimpressed. I was expecting the torque to be great but it is more of a High RPM motor then I was expecting. So I am circling back to keeping the ecoboost and getting the Ford Tune. I have 35000 miles but also a CPO warranty. I emailed one dealer about the tune and how it would affect the warranty if I blow the motor at like 75000 miles. In an email he said I would be covered by the Ford warranty no problem. I also talked with a Ford Dealership that has a full blown Ford Performance shop in it. I asked the same question about blowing a motor at 75000 miles. I didn't even get all the words out of my mouth before he was nodding his head and said you have nothing to worry about. He did say if I buy everything from them and they install and have all the receipts I will be good to go. I did not get anything in an email or writing from them though. I will admit I am still concerned if something happens 3 years down the road and different management is there or something. But what I'm getting at is you might get a better chance of warranty work done if the dealership is involved with everything. As the one place said they would need to prove something failed on the Ford Performance part to cause the engine failure. Like if the filter would break apart and go in the motor. I plan to stop at one of these shops soon to get that extra confirmation I am looking for though. Unfortunately it is alot more expensive to go the full dealership route. For me about $900 total.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
So, install was a snap. Battery never flinched so no need for battery charger. I'll see over the next few days how much it improves. I was already running 93 so hopefully it won't take long. Saved me over $100. Took exactly 16 minutes once it started. Hardest part was tracking down the instructions on the web!

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
I was going to get this tune but then decided to save my money and sell a few toys and get the GT. Unfortunately after driving a few GT's I have left somewhat unimpressed. I was expecting the torque to be great but it is more of a High RPM motor then I was expecting. So I am circling back to keeping the ecoboost and getting the Ford Tune. I have 35000 miles but also a CPO warranty. I emailed one dealer about the tune and how it would affect the warranty if I blow the motor at like 75000 miles. In an email he said I would be covered by the Ford warranty no problem. I also talked with a Ford Dealership that has a full blown Ford Performance shop in it. I asked the same question about blowing a motor at 75000 miles. I didn't even get all the words out of my mouth before he was nodding his head and said you have nothing to worry about. He did say if I buy everything from them and they install and have all the receipts I will be good to go. I did not get anything in an email or writing from them though. I will admit I am still concerned if something happens 3 years down the road and different management is there or something. But what I'm getting at is you might get a better chance of warranty work done if the dealership is involved with everything. As the one place said they would need to prove something failed on the Ford Performance part to cause the engine failure. Like if the filter would break apart and go in the motor. I plan to stop at one of these shops soon to get that extra confirmation I am looking for though. Unfortunately it is alot more expensive to go the full dealership route. For me about $900 total.
My total was $499 going through Steve at Tasca Ford!

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Yeah. I know. They want I think 699 for the kit and 160 to install. But will it give me good relationship with the dealer if something happens? I will ask for price match.

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Yeah. I know. They want I think 699 for the kit and 160 to install. But will it give me good relationship with the dealer if something happens? I will ask for price match.
Honestly really depends on the dealer. I've seen some say dealers flat out refuse to even load the tune for people as it's a modification. Some will say they will do it, but don't bring the car into their dealership for any work. Some will see it as extra work they don't want to deal with. Many generally love pure stock vehicles from a timing standards standpoint. Modded vehicles can take longer for specific tasks, especially troubleshooting and many still get paid labor hours for work. When you have a pretty set in stone routine, modded vehicles can really throw a wrench in things. <-- From their standpoint.

I used to work for a shop and absolutely loved working on modded vehicles but that's more what we specialized in. 90% were stock grocery getters that paid the bills, but we used to get some super high end Audi's, Ferrari's, Lambos etc. (Maserati's are extremely popular here.) Our owner actually owns quite an extensive Mustang collection and was pretty cool about stuff like that. So it really depends on the dealer you go to.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Both my dealers have no problem installing it and the one really actually endorses it being they are a ford performance dealer with a dyno and all. The say my warranty will remain up to the 100000 if the engine does throw a rod. The performance shop said that as long as I get the kit from them and they install, the Ford CPO warranty will remain. Its just that their price is about 200 too high (list price). I feel the extra 200 might be worth the warranty relationship with them. Otherwise I have no problem and would love to do the Kit myself.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
The thing is, all the benefits of having it installed by Ford, ASE mechanic, etc, expires when the car hits 36k on the odometer. Beyond that it doesn't matter who installed it.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I have a feeling I will have better luck with warranty work needed after the 36000 if the same shop that does this kit deals with the say blown motor. Especially since my one dealer said in an email that the CPO warranty would be covered. Granted they did not say it would not be if I purchased and installed it somewhere else. The Ford performance shop did say if everything was purchased from them , installed by them and had receipts my CPO would not be affected. I'm looking for a good relationship with this dealer since the warranty issues after the 36000 miles is a little gray.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
I have a feeling I will have better luck with warranty work needed after the 36000 if the same shop that does this kit deals with the say blown motor. Especially since my one dealer said in an email that the CPO warranty would be covered. Granted they did not say it would not be if I purchased and installed it somewhere else. The Ford performance shop did say if everything was purchased from them , installed by them and had receipts my CPO would not be affected. I'm looking for a good relationship with this dealer since the warranty issues after the 36000 miles is a little gray.
I get that. My ford dealer wanted nothing to do with the tune. They referred me to a local performance shop that is FP certified.

Sponsored

Aaron_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M/T PP 2.3 EB
Still below "160".

I still don't think the FP tune goes above 120 or 130...

Unleashed was unlimited...
Meaning a speed limiter? No. Otherwise the car somehow switches tunes to stock above 120? No. :)

As far as between 151 and 160... honestly my attention span at those speeds is far more on whats in front of me than the speedo. Certainly have seen it above 150.... but that being said at those speeds 2-3 percent inaccuracy is certainly possible.

Pre tune I was not inclined to drive that fast because the car felt like shit.

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm curious how many on here did their own install? I'm very close to the 36k mark and it seems foolish to pay someone over $100 to do something so simple for only a few month's coverage.
I'd go with a different tuner if you are that close, for a few reasons:

1. with the FP tune you are also paying for that poor fitting intake. So you could save some $$ there and get something better. Or just keep the stock unit with a drop in filter.

2. With a pro tune you have room to move into a downpipe, meth injection, or e30.

3. You can get a Cobb tuner with tune for the same price as the FP tune package, which I'd say is the better deal.

Don't get me wrong, I love the tune! But I'm always looking for the best deal. If you aren't getting the warranty, this ain't it.

Edit: But to your question - I did mine myself and it couldn't be easier.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
I'd go with a different tuner if you are that close, for a few reasons:

1. with the FP tune you are also paying for that poor fitting intake. So you could save some $$ there and get something better. Or just keep the stock unit with a drop in filter.

2. With a pro tune you have room to move into a downpipe, meth injection, or e30.

3. You can get a Cobb tuner with tune for the same price as the FP tune package, which I'd say is the better deal.

Don't get me wrong, I love the tune! But I'm always looking for the best deal. If you aren't getting the warranty, this ain't it.

Edit: But to your question - I did mine myself and it couldn't be easier.
All good points and I would concur if I didn't have the ESP for 6 more years and 100k miles! :cheers:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
All good points and I would concur if I didn't have the ESP for 6 more years and 100k miles! :cheers:
Pretty sure the ESP, as far as the powertrain is concerned, is nullified after 3/36 with the tune.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure the ESP, as far as the powertrain is concerned, is nullified after 3/36 with the tune.
Nope. Except, as with any aftermarket add-on, the problem is a result of the add-on. And that is never mileage or time dependent. The only thing lost at 3/36 is the warranty provided by Ford Performance. I confirmed this with Ford Warranty only days ago. :cheers:
Sponsored