Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Yes, my concern isnt the first 3/36, rather its the remaining 5/60 powertrain. I read the warranty information, contrary to the above comments and my concerns is that if I have any issue with powertrain how can they not simply blame the tune? it is so easy for them to deny any claims related to powertrain due to the tune.

Exactly, I guess I wasnt very clear with my original comment as to why I wanted to do this. but thats exactly why i wanted to do this, the less the dealership knows the better when it comes to warranty :D

This is a very bad idea, looks like your half way to screwing your self type of scenario. It's like the equivalent to breaking the law and claiming ignorance for innocence. The best thing is to find a dealer to install who is okay with the install and more understanding of these mods and take a healthy chance for warranty honor in at this location if something major happens.
Sponsored

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've heard of guys getting this tune, registering it, then getting a custom tune. That way they can flash back to this if something lets go and potentially still get it warrantied.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
I've heard of guys getting this tune, registering it, then getting a custom tune. That way they can flash back to this if something lets go and potentially still get it warrantied.

Im sure we all thought of that but then ur basically paying an extra $700 for a custom tune (device + tune) on top of the $500-600 for the FP tune. $1200 just to possibly "fool" FP isnt really worth it. Who knows what parameters FP has in place to see if it is their tune. They might ask the dealer to look at some charts, etc to determine it.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Im sure we all thought of that but then ur basically paying an extra $700 for a custom tune (device + tune) on top of the $500-600 for the FP tune. $1200 just to possibly "fool" FP isnt really worth it. Who knows what parameters FP has in place to see if it is their tune. They might ask the dealer to look at some charts, etc to determine it.
It'd be pretty easy to see that. Actually they even list it in their "Ford Mods List Look Out" bulletin. You'd just look at the ignition cycle count parameter. They registered 6 months ago and have 10 ignition cycles? There's probably quite a few other parameters they look at as well such as flash count. GG lol

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
It'd be pretty easy to see that. Actually they even list it in their "Ford Mods List Look Out" bulletin. You'd just look at the ignition cycle count parameter. They registered 6 months ago and have 10 ignition cycles? There's probably quite a few other parameters they look at as well such as flash count. GG lol

yeah thats the most obvious way. I was going over the case where if someone bought the FP tune and just used a custom tune from the start, so the ignition count wont really help there. The ignition count can indicate the car is tuned, but not which tune. Im sure FP has some special parameters to determine if it is their tune or another vendor.

Sponsored

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Better question is as they keep revising the tune are you required to have the dealer or an ASE mechanic do the update every time?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Better question is as they keep revising the tune are you required to have the dealer or an ASE mechanic do the update every time?
I think you'll find that FP doesn't revise the tune that much. Don't confuse the tune with the Pro Cal 3 software. While you'll get notified there's a Pro Cal 3 update if connected to the Internet when you open the software, the only way to know if there's an updated tune is to download it again and see if the file name has changed.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
I'm not sure THIS question has been posed but, if my factory warranty expires at 36k and I'm currently just over 31k is the cost having the program installed professionally still as worth it? Basically $100 for just over 4k miles of coverage. I DO have 8 year 100k warranty on car. And the warranty would only be void if it's the tune at fault.

Btw, for me, that's about 3 months worth of mileage.

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
I'm not sure THIS question has been posed but, if my factory warranty expires at 36k and I'm currently just over 31k is the cost having the program installed professionally still as worth it? Basically $100 for just over 4k miles of coverage. I DO have 8 year 100k warranty on car. And the warranty would only be void if it's the tune at fault.

Btw, for me, that's about 3 months worth of mileage.
Your basic warranty (usually involves anything that doesn't wear out by driving) comes with 3 yr/36,000 miles (seats, body paint, radio, door handles, etc...)

Your power train warranty (engine, transmission) comes with 5 yr/60,000 miles by default - in your case 8 yr/100,000 miles. With the FP tune, it is my understanding that this would be replaced by a Ford Racing 3 yr/36,000 mi power train warranty (if whatever broke was tune related). After the 3 yr/36,000 miles (from the original purchase date), it would be to the discretion of the dealer to decide whether or not whatever may have been damaged was tune related or not.

Example: Something broke within the transmission at 40,000 miles/4 years
Dealer: Does not think it to be tune related, will cover it under the 5 yr/60,000 miles, in your case under 8 yr/100,000 miles.

If however they think it was tune related, it will not be covered because the 3 yr/36,000 had passed.

So after all, it is a gray area really. Depending on the dealership, you may get different coverage, which is important to develop good relationships with the people who work there.

Sponsored

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Your basic warranty (usually involves anything that doesn't wear out by driving) comes with 3 yr/36,000 miles.

Your power train warranty (engine, transmission) comes with 5 yr/60,000 miles by default. With the FP tune, it is my understanding that this would be replaced by a Ford Racing 3 yr/36,000 mi power train warranty (if whatever broke was tune related). After the 3 yr/36,000 miles (from the original purchase date), it would be to the discretion of the dealer to decide whether or not whatever may have been damaged was tune related or not.
This is my point, I would only be getting about 3 months of FP coverage. I may as well do it myself!

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
This is my point, I would only be getting about 3 months of FP coverage. I may as well do it myself!
That is if the dealer thinks the damage was related to the tune.

If they think it is not tune related, you still retain your 8 yr/100,000 warranty.

I honestly think that this would be good opportunity to scope out the dealers in your area. Maybe call them and see how much they would charge to install this tune, and how the warranty would work. If they are friendly, and like others had mentioned - carry Roush/supercharged vehicles; I would bet that they would cover engine/transmission related issues later down the road (if they arise).

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
That is if the dealer thinks the damage was related to the tune.

If they think it is not tune related, you still retain your 8 yr/100,000 warranty.

I honestly think that this would be good opportunity to scope out the dealers in your area. Maybe call them and see how much they would charge to install this tune, and how the warranty would work. If they are friendly, and like others had mentioned - carry Roush/supercharged vehicles; I would bet that they would cover engine/transmission related issues later down the road (if they arise).
My Ford dealer, only one within an hour+ driving distance is FP ignorant, however I've got a performance shop nearby that specializes in mustangs and deals in FP parts. Intimately familiar with the protunes. Will only cost me an hour for the install. I'm inclined to pay for it just so I can see it done!

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Another question, if I may, anything I should be concerned about by installing the FRPP airbox before driving to have the tune installed? I know it says it requires a tune but I should be okay if I take it easy, yeah?

Actually, also has anyone put this airbox in with oil catch can installed on that side? Trying to head off any potential problems. Thanks, guys.

Yellowboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang ecoboost
A catch can on that side will be fine, I wouldn't drive with thetune without the airbox installed, but I drove air box installed for 1 day tgen put the tune on the car the next day.
Sponsored