OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I would say mine is driven hard. Very hard. I don't mind the redline now. Before 500 miles, no redline. Now, every chance I get.
Sponsored

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Lol drive car harder? My car is flex tuned and I have been to the track multiple times and have pushed her to the limit still no oil consumption. Like I said before owners manual says do not add oil if it's in hash marks. So maybe the people that want it right at the tip top adding oil when shouldn't are doing more harm than good?

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
Had my first oil change at 1290 smiles. Just checked yesterday at 2300 smiles.
Oil is at the same level as in the first pic, 1/3 from the lower line. Will keep monitoring every few hundred miles...

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol drive car harder? My car is flex tuned and I have been to the track multiple times and have pushed her to the limit still no oil consumption. Like I said before owners manual says do not add oil if it's in hash marks. So maybe the people that want it right at the tip top adding oil when shouldn't are doing more harm than good?
All I know is mine was below the hash marks about even with the bottom hole. One quart put it at the top of the hash marks. And yes, she is going to be earning the Shelby name every chance I get. I have a few track days planned in the near future.

Sponsored

Jimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 , '08 Evo X GSR, '01 Eclipse GT SDS
None. ~ 6k miles

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
On a side note: I've noticed that when I drive the car, let it sit for about 15-20 min, then check the oil while the motor is still warm, the oil level shows higher on the dipstick than when i check the oil when the car has been sitting for a few days...I would have thought the opposite would occur (higher level when motor is fully cooled down/lower level when the motor is still warm). Anyone else notice this?

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
1,000 miles, full quart was needed. Followed ford break in procedure, no track days or autocross yet, some spirited red line pulls after the break in period.

coltgus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang Shadow Black
I have a theory based on anecdotal evidence with BMW V8 engines, and it is that engines that are not broken in correctly burn oil. BMW engines are supposed to be broken in by driving at various engine RPMs but nothing too high for the 1st 1200 miles. BMW M engines require an oil change at 1200 miles, a good idea imo for a Ford GT engine. My GT has 2,000 miles and I'm going to have the oil changed tomorrow with full synthetic. I have talked to quite a few people on BMW forums about this and it could be true.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I have a theory based on anecdotal evidence with BMW V8 engines, and it is that engines that are not broken in correctly burn oil. BMW engines are supposed to be broken in by driving at various engine RPMs but nothing too high for the 1st 1200 miles. BMW M engines require an oil change at 1200 miles, a good idea imo for a Ford GT engine. My GT has 2,000 miles and I'm going to have the oil changed tomorrow with full synthetic. I have talked to quite a few people on BMW forums about this and it could be true.
Its quite possible... for me i followed ford's instructions, my only rationale was that i didn't want to assume i knew better than them about the engine. At least if i followed their recommendations for break in i would know it wasn't something i did wrong.

I will still do an early oil change though. As soon as i can get onto my buddies lift it will be changed.

Sponsored

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
1500 miles after my last oil change and it appears I'm down half a quart. If I can get 3000 miles down before only losing a quart, I'll be a very happy camper.

CaptainUnderpants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
At 1,500 miles I changed the oil with 10qts of oil. At this point is the oil level supposed to be at the top????

At 2,400 I added 3/4 of a quart before heading from Long Beach, CA to Salt Lake Ut for the Track Attack. This raised the oil level to the top of the hash marks. At the end of the about a 1,800 mile journey the level read 1/4 off the top of the hash marks. So my guess would be that my car uses a quart every 3,000 to 8,000 miles.

It all depends upon what the level should be after an oil change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1,500 miles on her now. Barely noticeable gap below the top of the hash marks. So, first 500 miles oil level half way down the hash marks. Next 500 miles below hash marks., 1 quart added. Put the oil level right at the top of the hash marks. Next 500 miles, dunno but hardly less than when the quart was added.

The car has been driven much harder overall this last 500 miles compared to the first 1,000.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Have owned dozens of car over the years; own 5 right now and track three of them. Have never had a car burn oil. If you do a lot of engine braking, that's hard on the valve seals and piston rings and you will pull oil into the combustion chamber. Use the brakes for slowing down, not the engine.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by cilinder scoring?

I'm curious about why some vodoo engines are oil thirsty when others are not.

Mine is using about your rate of 1qt per 1000-1200 miles, and I drive it hard to redline, whenever I can.
Different design philosophy for a high revving race engine.
A normal engine like the Coyote would have a hypereutectic piston which does not expand or shrink as much as temperature changes, the problem is the material is very hard and brittle and when push hard, the clearance can become too tight causing the engine to seize up. Now this normally don't happen at stock redline which is lower than the Voodoo.
The Voodoo has a much higher redline, so they have to use forged pistons. Forged pistons change size when temperature changes, so in order to not become too tight fit under high stress high rpm situations, the piston is sized correctly at high temperature but during normal driving, it's a bit loose fit causing engine oils to pass the seals. That is also why Voodoo has that cold piston slap sound.
Sponsored