Sponsored

Yet another Rear Bumper Gap post (slightly different issue)

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
I have a 2016 Tech Pack with 11k mi on it. Recently in a rear end collision and had the bumper replaced (And all brackets) with oem ford parts. Took nearly 3 months to get the car back, and when I did the shop informed me they couldn't get the bumper to properly mate up to the old or new brackets.

It has the normal sag, but the sides won't clip into their receiver brackets or stay because the sag is so heavy.

Vehicle at frame shop having the rear sheet metal replaced

20190816_181034130_iOS.jpg

Post repairs:
20190904_232016592_iOS (2).jpg

20190904_004140059_iOS (2).jpg

20190904_004147348_iOS (2).jpg

Has anyone else had the sag so bad? I'm going to pull the cover and reset the brackets, and try to see if I can get my local dealer to perform the TSB (and if not, follow some of the other guides on here).

My biggest concern is there are other defects in the repair (a dent a PDR guy will have to look at, though I'm confident its a refinish of the panel and respray/blend, gave back with a nearly flat tire, covered in overspray) so I'm obviously frustrated, but want to make sure I'm pursuing the right avenues. Before there was some sag, but the panel at least was retained on the sides.
Sponsored

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Dude...I dunno. That looks really, really bad for a post photo.

CliffClavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van down by the river
I would honestly be on the phone with the insurance company asking for someone else to repair this. With the background that you provided, I would not let them mess with it any more before getting insurance involved. All reputable insurance companies guarantee the repairs. This should be their mess to fix.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Holy Cannoli.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That is hands down the worst gap ever. Anywhere. That is faaaarrrr from "normal" sag my brotha. DO NOT accept that under any condition. If they can't get the skin to fit right, my first thought is that the sheetmetal/body where the black brackets attach to is not right. Either way, pursue it. That's insane.

Sponsored

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Is that home in your hands now or still in the shop? Can't believe a reputable shop will let something like that go out the door.

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
You guys echo my frustrations. Spending the morning getting the overspray off the windshield, but after 67 days without the car (and coming out of pocket for an OEM bumper cover and taillight since the other driver's insurance wouldn't pay for new), my patience with the matter is incredibly drained. The car was mint before being hit, and I can't understate how much I've been hassled.

I set an appointment with the local dealer for thursday to look at having the TSB done, but going to spend a few minutes on it today and see if I can improve the fit to at least what is the "normal" amount of sag. Even after being hit, the bumper fit was better than what's seen here. I hope the tabs are intact on the bumper cover as its brand new.

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
You may have broken tabs on the bracket the bumper cover clips to on the side of the rear quarter panel. Much worse looking than mine but I only had one broken clip there and it impacted the fit. Replaced that bracket myself for $24 and it looks like it should.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
You guys echo my frustrations. Spending the morning getting the overspray off the windshield, but after 67 days without the car (and coming out of pocket for an OEM bumper cover and taillight since the other driver's insurance wouldn't pay for new)
Sounds like cut rate insurance from the other driver.

In my opinion: Get your insurance involved. This is what un/underinsured should cover. But you're kinda in a crap spot right now, letting them con you into paying out of pocket to not have aftermarket replacement parts. I would have called my insurance the instant that fight failed to get what I wanted.

Did you choose the repair shop? Which insurance are you dealing with? Everything you've mentioned already is totally unacceptable, especially for someone else's at-fault accident.

I hit a deer a few years ago in a different car. 16k to fix, was done in 2 weeks, and the repairs were perfect. Your treatment should be no different.

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I did choose the shop, the insurer's recommended shops were interviewed but passed on as I was worried about a cut-rate repair (ironic). The shop I went with was recommended as the best by the local car communities. The insured was State Farm, but they have been pretty miserable to work with. I'm still fighting for DV and to get these repairs corrected.

that said, I looked more closely, the bumper retaining tabs at least on the driver's side are indeed broken, which I believe means there's zero percent chance this can be fixed without replacing parts. I hate cars, shops, insurance companies and inattentive drivers.

Sponsored

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
The insured was State Farm, but they have been pretty miserable to work with.
Had a similar experience with them years ago. Ironically, same situation. One of their insureds rear ended me. I had to threaten to sue to get timely response.

I've heard they're great to their customers.

The local rep has been bothering me to make the switch to them. Let him have it one day. I don't care how cheap your premiums are, after my experience on the other end, you'll never get a dime of my money.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I don’t know if you have seen or read about Ford TSB 18-2107, but it is specific to the Shelby’s and the rear bumper gap/sag.

I have attached the TSB for your review (and for others who may need it). It gives the info and instructions on how to fix.

Attachments

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
The body shop has the car now and did the TSB. It did tighten up the fitment significantly, however on the driver's side they could never get the side bracket tabs to engage. I think the body isn't straight as everyone I've talked to said it was straightforward after the TSB (and we are in a warm climate which makes it a bit easier). They did however get the bracket on the bumper and were able to install the front and rear fastener for that bracket (leaving two out). As long as it holds, it looks great. When I get it home I'll be looking more closely. One tab did break on the new bumper cover, but it looks like the TSB fix held it in.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
The body shop has the car now and did the TSB. It did tighten up the fitment significantly, however on the driver's side they could never get the side bracket tabs to engage. I think the body isn't straight as everyone I've talked to said it was straightforward after the TSB (and we are in a warm climate which makes it a bit easier). They did however get the bracket on the bumper and were able to install the front and rear fastener for that bracket (leaving two out). As long as it holds, it looks great. When I get it home I'll be looking more closely. One tab did break on the new bumper cover, but it looks like the TSB fix held it in.
There are a few rear bumper threads linked in the GT350 Basics sticky in my sig. Sorry but just came across this...

Sorry too that happened to you @Captdistraction

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
Thanks ! Thats what I was looking for.
Sponsored