Would you buy a tuned car?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It really sounds like there are two questions being asked here.
Would you/I buy "A" tuned car.
And
Would you/I buy "That" tuned car.

The answer to the first is, yes, quite possibly. Depending on the car, condition, price, history, circumstances, etc.

The answer to the second is almost certainly not.

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
I saw that and thought it was pretty close, but I've read that pretty much all long tubes are going to have some tight clearances somewhere. Since I have no experience with LT's, I wasn't sure what to think about it when I saw how close it was

edit: I see the pic looks like it's right against it but there's actually a small gap there
When you put the car in drive, that gap is gone. I'm in that boat right now, passenger side header is rubbing causing vibration (only in drive).

BMR sent me K-Member spacers to move it up a 1/2 inch which should eliminate the issue. I haven't order my Quick Jacks yet but I need to so I can do this work.

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
I haven't order my Quick Jacks yet but I need to so I can do this work.
Get those Quick Jacks ordered. Hands down the best automotive tool I have invested in.

Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
For California it is a lot worse to ensure your second hand car purchase passes smog, especially a tuned car with no idea if it is Carb EO licensed Tune.

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
S550 2018 Mustang GT Premium
Local dealer has a 2019 PP2 with resonator delete and long tube headers, so I'd assume it's tuned as well. Short throw shifter installed. Back tires are brand new and mismatched from the fronts so I'm assuming the car was ran hard...like all Mustangs are. I'm pretty sure the upper intake is aluminum...the engine cover was off. I don't think it was that silver plastic.

Not seriously interested in the car but it has me thinking. Not knowing who tuned it or how long the parts have been on the car, etc makes me leary...but then again, it's a bunch of money that I wouldn't have to spend to upgrade the car.

Thoughts? Car has 33k miles. 4 owners, the first one put 2100 miles on it and the last one bought the car in Jan of this year and already traded it.

Pre-Owned 2019 Ford Mustang GT 2 Door Coupe in Warner Robins #TK5138011 | Five Star Ford Warner Robins (fivestarfordga.com)
That would be a big no from me. I can’t think of a reason that’s not indicative of a huge pain in the ass for buying a car and trading it four months later.

Perhaps it’s possible the car is just so f’n cool that the boring old nerd whomst purchased it couldn’t handle the increased nut hang and based aura so he sold it out out of fear. Or more likely, it’s a huge pain in the ass with a slapped on poor quality tune, mismatched parts, and probably sounds like dog crap. That’s been my experience looking at these “manager special” modified mustangs.

Corporate_Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT 23 T Bucket 13 F150 07 Roadking
I mean its a 301A car, you could probably pick a leftover up for the money you're talking or close to it. I bought my 22 301 for 37k OTD from granger. Granted I had to take a flight and drive it home 900 miles.

elmach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
4 owners in that short time is a flag. However, not scared of it being tuned, can easily call the Tuner (which I've done).

Coyote's are tough, that's not a lot of mods. I would look for signs that it had more like a supercharger, turbo, fuel system, etc. and they just left these bolt on's on the car.

But if you call the Tuner they will tell you by VIN what they tuned for. If it just had these mods then that's fine.
I think the more important factor is how the car was broken in when new and how it was “driven”, I.e) not mashing the throttle before letting the car warm up. These are things you just don’t know when buying a used car.
since you usually won’t know this, I’d look for other factors that might imply good ownership.
imo, 4 owners 2019 is something I’d personally avoid but good luck on your purchase!

also, i had a 07 Mustang in college that I traded in and I didn’t tell the dealer it was tuned. I also rarely pushed that car hard as I was young, broke and scared to brake it.
cheers

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
@fast306stang "so I'm assuming the car was ran hard...like all Mustangs are."

That's just not the case. There are a lot of garage and trailer queens out there. Lots of older (70 and 80+ yrs old ) owners that gently use their cars.

But yea, long tubes and short shifters.... pass.

Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Having sold a car or two that were tuned that I got sick of for their various glitches and drivability niggles... how bout no, Scott!

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
Having sold a car or two that were tuned that I got sick of for their various glitches and drivability niggles... how bout no, Scott!
This very thing is what's stopped me from headers and a tune.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
The biggest unknown is how it was treated. My Ecoboost is tuned and has a intercooler but I still baby the car. But had a cousin who broke the drive shaft in my uncles stock car doing " neutral slams"

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Hard pass for me. I never got into tuning. Too many problems that could pop up. I see too many bad stories from folks on here basically saying it is better to avoid tuned cars unless you are buying directly from the previous owner that can tell you about what all has been done to the car. Finding a tuned car on a lot is an absolute no-go for me.

If you are into tuning then definitely get an opinion from a mechanic familiar with the types of tunes the car has on it and have them check out the car.

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It really sounds like there are two questions being asked here.
Would you/I buy "A" tuned car.
And
Would you/I buy "That" tuned car.

The answer to the first is, yes, quite possibly. Depending on the car, condition, price, history, circumstances, etc.

The answer to the second is almost certainly not.
Well put.

I'd buy a tuned car like mine in a heartbeat. Original owner, low-mile, garage queen, known history, etc.

Tuned, multiple-owner car with headers off a lot? Nah, plenty of other options.
Sponsored