Sponsored

Will a tune fix my issue

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'll be going back to a manual in my next car.
Good choice. When I drive an A8/A10 car or truck in an enthusiastic manner I'm constantly using the paddles no matter if I'm in D or S.
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I guess this is how an auto is then. I think I'll be going back to a manual in my next car. I prefer to go straight to the gear I want.
Which can be done faster and easier with a manual trans. I don't understand what the complaint is.

101a

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost 101a
The A10 transmission is really just a 7 speed transmission with "gears" 8, 9 and 10 being overdrive. To get any meaningful action, make sure you're in 7th gear or under.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have a Ford Performance calibration tune and my car is snappy. Bigger throttle body and I was able to keep my warranty. It changed the throttle repsonse for the better for sure. Normal mode still has some quirks, but sport plus is on a different level over stock. Nothing crazy extreme like other tunes, but in my opinion feels the way the car should have come from the factory.

OP
OP

ss27gogeta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zach
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Or it might be that you learn more about the A10, start using the paddles (start shifting it yourself), and you enjoy it. It's faster than a manual that way, with 10 gears instead of 6, and no clutching to do.

I'm a manual guy myself, and fully support your next car being a manual, but I think your expectations for the A10 auto are the problem, not the trans.

I wasn't quite sure what I was expecting out of the auto. the Main reason I got the auto was because my wife can't drive a manual. and she always wanted to have a sports car she could drive. So I got the A10 car she has drove it twice and that's it. so my next car choice won't be based on whether she is able to drive it or not. I'm not saying the a10 is not fun it is and it's way better that the car I came from. but it's not as fun to me as a manual car. I know the a10 is faster but that really doesn't matter to me it's not like I'm going out and winning trophys with this thing any way.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
So, with a manual all you have to do is stomp the gas and it goes like you want? No touching the clutch or shifter first? Obviously not. You've already gotten the gearing where you want before smashing the gas.
Why not try getting the auto to the gear you want before smashing the gas?
It's a good transmission but it's not physic...

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Mmmm-kay...

Complains the A10 is lazy but is shown that is just from driving style and not transmission dependent then the truth comes out that the wife made him get a manual trans and that he had more fun with a manual - so it really isn't a performance issue as first claimed.

Whelp, fun is a way more subjective term, one I won't argue.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
A tune can really wake it up, but there's a downside to that too. When the car becomes too responsive then it becomes very difficult to drive smoothly and that becomes annoying too.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
OP, just beware that when you're in Sport mode, once you paddle shift, you are permanently in paddle mode unless cancelled by holding the right paddle for 5 seconds or turning the ignition off. The first time this happened to me I thought my A10 was freaking when all it was me bumping the paddle by mistake.

All I know is that when I'm in Sport or Sport+ my EB jumps big time. I've learned to warn my passenger if they are holding a beverage if I'm going to romp on it. (usually to pass). I know the transmission behavior is slightly different between the EB and GT. My EB premium A10 also has rev-matched downshifts where the GT doesn't for some reason. Enjoy the car. The A10 will learn your patterns if consistent.

Edited to add: If you bought your car used, disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the learning patterns to your driving style.

OP
OP

ss27gogeta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zach
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
So on my way home today I played with the paddles and they aren't to bad around town. I found if you drop 2 or 3 gears from were Im cruiseing it goes fairly good. and I don't get that turbo lag feel if I left it in auto and let it down shift its self. usaly when I get on it I feel it down shift 2 or 3 times before it goes. I kinda wish I had the digital dash as I would know what gear it's in when I leave it in auto so I know we're it's shifting from. I only get a gear indicator in paddle mode. I've also read on a few threads ford not filling these a10's all the way sometimes and that could cause issues. I planed on checking it when I did my first oil change.

Sponsored

FlaBill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ecoboost, '20 GT Premium
Dude, It's an automatic, but not an auto pilot. In D mode, all you need to do is touch a paddle shifter to give yourself 30 plus seconds of Auto manual shift which helps droop the torque converter lag. Best bet is to learn the shift rpm sequence. Ford programs the tranny to stay under 2000 rpms for in town default shift to keep the MPG in a range.
BTW, the rpms tell you basically what gear your in. just touch the paddle which can be accessed from more than just the prosusion at the top.

Its a 465 hp stock car. It DOES require your attention and learning.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So I've been getting used to my car over these last few weeks since I got it. And I've noticed the A10 is kinda lazy when you go from Cruising to wot it takes a couple seconds or so to get going. Now once it knows you want to play it's quite responsive but that initial delay I find kina annoying. Will a tune fix this? Or is this just part of driving an auto? I've driven primarily manual transmissions most of my life and I'm used to as soon as you hit the gas your going. this auto thing is new to me so your advice is grately appreciated thanks .
Welcome to the site.

You’re a 10R80 newbie. The 10R80 is an adaptive learning transmission. This means, the Trans Mode selections you make, the longer you drive it and drive it on a route that is repetitive, the trans learns your driving style, it’s software logic will adapt to your driving styles.

If you’re just taking the car form your house, up the road and around for a short jaunt, then park it - it’s not going to truly learn your driving styles.

Search “10R80” on here and you will find a wealth of very informative information.

This thread has the info you need to review to understand the differences between the Transmission Modes AND the Center Stack Drive modes, as well as the paddle interactions.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/question-re-sport-vs-sport-mode.150765/#post-3076906

Once you grasp the concept of the 10R80, you will enjoy it better.
Sponsored