What will it reduce my oil consumption?

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I have a 2017 GT350, Manufactured on 9/2017 (H6088) I did not see any oil consumption until 3500 miles
it started at using 1 Qt every 500 miles, now I have 8000 miles and its using 1 QT ever 150 miles now.
QUOTE]

Curious - does the engine smoke on cold start, acceleration, or deceleration? If that is an accurate figure that's a lot of oil and the thing should smoke like a mosquito fogger.
Sponsored

I am Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
FBO C63, Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, 18' LB GT350, 19' Performance Blue GT350R
Another question, if you get a replacement engine the numbers no longer match... greatly reduce the value of car, no?
Would you rather have a broken numbers matching engine or a non numbers matching engine that works? The choice appears pretty simple to me...

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Would you rather have a broken numbers matching engine or a non numbers matching engine that works? The choice appears pretty simple to me...
If you follow, the question is, should the motor really be replaced... valve seals are straightforward to fix and wouldn’t hurt to do on your own dime. Just bc your losing oil doesn’t mean you need a replacement engine lol. It also doesn’t mean “blown engine”.

But to answer your question, I’d rather have my engine and fix/improve it if needed.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Another question, if you get a replacement engine the numbers no longer match... greatly reduce the value of car, no?
I totally agree with what you’re saying, and that’s how an enthusiast with a brain would think...but not most buyers lol.

The answer is yes you absolutely take a hit on value when trying to sell...even with a brand new motor, and in my case, an extended powertrain warranty of 7yr/100k. No one cares about anything other than the red flag that is your engine replacement.

I am Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
FBO C63, Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, 18' LB GT350, 19' Performance Blue GT350R
If I was losing a quart every 150 miles, you can bet your butt that I will make Ford replace that motor. If it's not leaking onto the floor, it's definitely being consumed by the motor.

Sponsored

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
Mine was burning @ 1 litre every 500-700 km ( 300 - 430 miles ). Dealer scoped it and diagnosed bad valve seals on 2 cylinders. If your car is burning a quart every 150 miles there is something wrong in the engine. I'd take it in for a replacement, or try for a buyback from Ford. I had my engine replaced and it was not a big deal for my dealer who is an SVT dealer ( still exist in Canada ). I took it in on a Monday morning and had it back in my hands Wednesday afternoon.
My engine burns a quart of oil every 475 miles. My dealer took a look with a scope and determined bad valve seals on two cylinders as well.It took ford about 18 months to finally ship the seals and do the repair. It is still using a quart every 475 miles after logging it for 12 months of use. Did your dealer go straight to a new engine or replace the faulty seals first?

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
This is the first I've heard of Ford having a repair done. All I read on forums Ford does not allow the voodoo to be opened up at all but replaces engine. Sounds to me they did nothing to your engine, just put you on hold.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
My engine burns a quart of oil every 475 miles. My dealer took a look with a scope and determined bad valve seals on two cylinders as well.It took ford about 18 months to finally ship the seals and do the repair. It is still using a quart every 475 miles after logging it for 12 months of use. Did your dealer go straight to a new engine or replace the faulty seals first?
This story makes no sense. 18 months??

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the first I've heard of Ford having a repair done. All I read on forums Ford does not allow the voodoo to be opened up at all but replaces engine. Sounds to me they did nothing to your engine, just put you on hold.
Ford actually gave me a $1000 dealer credit as an apology for the seal shipment taking so long. There was a moment of panic at the dealership as they had misplaced the seals and i found them in a bag in the back seat of the car so I had them in my hand. If they did or did not actually install them I cannot tell... If Ford was not about to let the dealer in the engine then why would they even ship them the seals?

Sponsored

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This story makes no sense. 18 months??
Diagnosed and ordered valve seals spring 2016,finally received and installed fall 2017 started 12 months oil consumption log at that point till Oct 2018

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I'm assuming the oil pressure sender was checked for leaks? I recall another member here losing a significant amount of oil through his loose one.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Diagnosed and ordered valve seals spring 2016,finally received and installed fall 2017 started 12 months oil consumption log at that point till Oct 2018
More details please - so you did a Ford oil consumption test spring 2016, it was confirmed as "excess consumption" and instead of getting a new motor like every other GT350 owner they tore apart the motor and diagnosed bad seals? And then after the "repair" it is still excess consumption? If I were you I would go to another dealer ASAP and start an official 4 week consumption test.

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More details please - so you did a Ford oil consumption test spring 2016, it was confirmed as "excess consumption" and instead of getting a new motor like every other GT350 owner they tore apart the motor and diagnosed bad seals? And then after the "repair" it is still excess consumption? If I were you I would go to another dealer ASAP and start an official 4 week consumption test.
I have plenty of posts dating back to spring 2016 regarding all of this. I believe I was one of the first owners to even notice oil consumption in an old thread titled "my voodoo is using oil" or
My dealer wants inside my voodoo!!
. The dealer took my word for it without any consumption test ( it was using a quart every 650 miles back then which was long before Ford announced that a quart every 500 miles is acceptable) and found the defective valve seals. My car is now in storage so I just sent them the oil log from the last 12 months last night along with the oil pressure sensor tsb info as I would like that checked in the spring.

Last edited:

Forgedwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Certainly not forged pistons. That's why pistons have rings. Your consumption is ridiculous. Unfortunately, your going to need that new motor. Have them put the forged oil pump internals while you have it out :)
And yes on the catch cans
Changing the oil pump internals will void the warranty.
Sponsored