• Pony car

Votes: 88 28.8%

• Total voters

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
My C5 ZO6 is a sports car. The S550 is Pony car/GT/Muscle car (GT model). Since, I could only vote one category I voted with history. It's a Pony car and it's credited for starting the segment. However, my understanding of GT means Grand Touring. So, the Mustang GT could mean Ford Mustang Grand Touring.

It has been a lot cars classified as a Sports car (Supra, M3, 300Z, Carrera GT, GTR, M1), however sports car only have 2 doors, 2 seats, and hell of a good time. Even, the miata is a sport car. A sports car is just a top away from being an motorcycle. Only two people can ride at a time.
GT can stand for either:

- Grand Tourer
or
- Gran Turismo (Italian & the original)

Not sure which one Ford went with....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_tourer#GT_abbreviation
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If not mistaken, the Mustang was coined as the first Pony Car.
Actually, Plymouth's Barracuda beat the Mustang to the showroom floor by about two weeks. But naming a whole car category after things that swim instead of things that run just wouldn't have had the same ring . . . or the staying power.

Norm

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
Actually, Plymouth's Barracuda beat the Mustang to the showroom floor by about two weeks. But naming a whole car category after things that swim instead of things that run just wouldn't have had the same ring . . . or the staying power.

Norm
Hmmmm, never heard the Cuda called a Pony car. Something new to me.

dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Conv V6 4.0; 2016 BMW 340i
I'd classify the S197 as a "Grand Tourer". To me, a grand tourer is something with some power, is comfortable for the front drivers, and not built with track handling in mind. An SL-class Mercedes is a Grand Tourer as well.

I wouldn't classify an S197 as a "Sports Car". BMWs I've had really outhandle it by far.

Now, regarding the S550, I would classify it as a "Sports Car", not a Grand Tourer. It's a lot more refined and Sporty. Handles well.

A car is either a Grand Tourer or a Sports Car. Can't be both.

However, all Mustangs are "Pony Cars".

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I chose "Pony Car" because the Mustang was the car that created that segment.

Of course, one must then ask, "What is a Pony Car?" And you can't answer with circular logic (a Mustang) because that doesn't get us towards a deeper understanding.

So, what is a Pony Car?

To me, a Pony Car is one that has sporty styling, is rear wheel drive, is intended to be fun to drive, has two doors, and four seats. It is close in many respects to the other categories, but splits the difference between them.

It isn't as focused on the drive as a sports car, and makes sacrifices in the name of practicality.

It isn't as luxurious as a traditional GT, but has many of the same traits (is fast, fun to drive, and relatively comfortable).

It isn't as large as a muscle car, and is better able to handle corners.

So, the Mustang is ALMOST many of those other definitions, but not quite any of them. It can be pushed closer to one of those depending on options and mods, but generally provides some aspects of each.

Clearly, there is only one definition that fits: Pony Car! ;-)

-T

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Of course, one must then ask, "What is a Pony Car?" And you can't answer with circular logic (a Mustang) because that doesn't get us towards a deeper understanding.

So, what is a Pony Car?

To me, a Pony Car is one that has sporty styling, is rear wheel drive, is intended to be fun to drive, has two doors, and four seats. It is close in many respects to the other categories, but splits the difference between them.

It isn't as focused on the drive as a sports car, and makes sacrifices in the name of practicality.

It isn't as luxurious as a traditional GT, but has many of the same traits (is fast, fun to drive, and relatively comfortable).

So, the Mustang is ALMOST many of those other definitions, but not quite any of them. It can be pushed closer to one of those depending on options and mods, but generally provides some aspects of each.

-T
I think that's a fair summation of things. The S550 possesses nearly every checklist attribute that makes a car a GT except for the idea of perceived luxury. But then you come to think about it - a modern day pony car would be a GT without the additional pampering. It definitely hits that niche category in a contemporary way.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang

So, what is a Pony Car?

-T
I agree. I would also add that a pony car is an affordable way to get a mix of all these classifications.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
For obviously reasons we never had this much forum debate concerning the 4 door sports car "4DSC" monicker Nissan laughingly re-applied to the 7th gen Maxima.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
For obviously reasons we never had this much forum debate concerning the 4 door sports car "4DSC" monicker Nissan laughingly re-applied to the 7th gen Maxima.
I'm a big Nissan fan, and remember how good the Maxima was back in the day. The last couple of versions have just been lacking IMO.

-T

Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
I'm a big Nissan fan, and remember how good the Maxima was back in the day. The last couple of versions have just been lacking IMO.

-T
Correct, the manual trans Maxima's are a thing of the past.
I don't dislike my fully optioned '10 maxima. It will continue to be my daily driver and it's plenty capable of getting out of it's own way but it won't fill that RWD void that I have. This is where the Mustang will come in.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I specifically ordered my AT, non-PP GT to be a great GT car. It's everything the Aston Martin DB-7 and DB-9 are, at a real-world price point. Gorgeous, sweet leather interior, power for days, great handling and road feel, comfortable, full of electronics, and enough room for two for a weekend.

I contend that my car (optioned as it is) is too heavy, large and soft to be a sports car. It wasn't intended to be. It IS a muscle car, but SO much more than a 429 Torino or 396 Chevelle, which were typical of that class. And of course it's a pony car, but so is a base V6 Camaro or Challenger, and again it's a lot more than that.

Awesome GT car. I'll live with that.

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
I am utterly surprised at how emotional people get in this trivial topic. IMHO there is no right or wrong answer. I feel like the s550 can fit any of the titles above, all depends on the beholder. I think we can all agree that Ford has really done a great job refining this machine while still holding on to the originality that makes a mustang a mustang. This should be a friendly rational debate. No need for the abrasive attitudes.

Horse Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicorn
The two unmistakable and iconic design elements of a pony car are a long hood and short tail, combined with a two door body style, front engine, rear wheel drive and 2+2 seating. If an American car has these elements it is a Pony car.

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

The Grand Touring or Gran Tourismo designation is a complete cluster f**k. Revisionists, auto makers and dimwits have spent years redefining it from a racing class to each of the opinions expressed in this thread (and lots of other variants). At this point in time I would say it is most accurate to describe it as a trim level.
Sponsored