• Pony car

Votes: 88 28.8%

• Total voters

grantourer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I've been debating this. Is it a sports car? Muscle car? Pony car? Grand Tourer?
Its a bit hefty to be a sports car. With the level of refinement, both of the suspension and interior, i have a hard time calling it a muscle car. It fits the profile, weight, and refinement levels of a Grand Touring car, but those are usually reserved for the European cars. What do you think?
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It's not a sports car; too compromised being a four seater to begin with. Pony car or GT best fit the bill.

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
Its a pony car with a sports car refinement..

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
GT car for sure. It fits the bill in a lot of ways.

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
I think the sports car question depends on the H.P. to weight ratio, where the GT would fit into that category easier than the 6 or the 4. As for the Grand Touring (GT) designation, that usually means it's a car that has sufficient power and comfort to be taken on longer road trips, so any of the 3 models would work there. Now for Pony car.... do I really need to answer that, it's a Mustang. Lastly, Muscle car, the GT has the muscle, but you may be right the interior is a far cry from the classic muscle cars of the late 60s and early 70s, so I'd have to vote no on that one. :cheers:

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Sports cars don't have more than two seats*. End of story. They consist of a bespoke chassis with performance intentions above all else.

A GT would be something like a fast (luxury optional) 2+2 coupe. Just like the S550. Pony car just makes sense because it's almost like a rough, American synonym for GT.

*those torture chamber half seats in things like a 911 don't count.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Is a GT-R a sports car? It has a back seat! Lots of Porsches have back seats as well....
I was in the middle of editing my post for clarity. Those are hardly real seats.

They're like parcel shelves with anti-death belts.

Sponsored

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
My 95 RX7 has back seats. I would love to see how anyone would feel after riding in the back for an hour.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
it's a sports car or 2dr coupe. end of story lol. sub names would be gt, pony, whatever... it's still a sports car and a 2dr coupe...and thats it's classification that your insurance and county/state will give it.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
it's a sports car or 2dr coupe. end of story lol. sub names would be gt, pony, whatever... it's still a sports car and a 2dr coupe...and thats it's classification that your insurance and county/state will give it.
Sports cars: 370Z, 4C, Cayman, Corvette, Viper, etc.

Two doors is irrelevant if it has useable seating for four. Would you consider a 6-Series a sports car? It's a sporty looking 2+2 coupe that goes fast. It's a GT. Just like any car that compromises for the sake of practicality, a sports car doesn't.

You have other categories that get close to the idea: sports coupes, sports sedans, gran tourers, pony cars, muscle cars, what have you, but they're not pure bred sports cars.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
ok you have more than stated your opinion in the thread
Sponsored