• Pony car

Votes: 88 28.8%

• Total voters

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
A GT would need to be "grand" as in luxurious, which doesn't fit the bill. This of course, like everything in life, is subjective to your point of view... kind of like how some people think The Olive Garden is a "fancy" restaurant. Same goes for Sports Car. Someone coming from minivan might find the Mustang very "sporty". Point of view works again for Muscle Car. Someone coming from a 3-cylinder Geo Metro might find a base v6 very "muscular". That leaves the Pony Car. I can see where someone with a v8 would want a label more powerful than "pony". In the end, my POV is Pony.
Sponsored

Nac79

NAC15GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Ford Mustang GT with PP
My C5 ZO6 is a sports car. The S550 is Pony car/GT/Muscle car (GT model). Since, I could only vote one category I voted with history. It's a Pony car and it's credited for starting the segment. However, my understanding of GT means Grand Touring. So, the Mustang GT could mean Ford Mustang Grand Touring.

It has been a lot cars classified as a Sports car (Supra, M3, 300Z, Carrera GT, GTR, M1), however sports car only have 2 doors, 2 seats, and hell of a good time. Even, the miata is a sport car. A sports car is just a top away from being an motorcycle. Only two people can ride at a time.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Who cares what it is defined as. People as what I drive, I tell them a Mustang. The end. They know what it is, I know what it is. I'm constantly having people shout out "NICE MUSTANG" or "NICE CAR" as they pass. When people come up they don't say "hey nice sports/GT/Pony car, they say "Nice 'stang" Which is damn good enough for me. Too many people here who have to have the car called what they think it should be called or what they consider it. Some people just cannot tolerate people disagreeing with them.

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
A leather sofa on wheels. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP

grantourer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Who cares what it is defined as. People as what I drive, I tell them a Mustang. The end. They know what it is, I know what it is. I'm constantly having people shout out "NICE MUSTANG" or "NICE CAR" as they pass. When people come up they don't say "hey nice sports/GT/Pony car, they say "Nice 'stang" Which is damn good enough for me. Too many people here who have to have the car called what they think it should be called or what they consider it. Some people just cannot tolerate people disagreeing with them.
Its called a discussion.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
A discussion is one thing, but you have some people who just insist that it is what they say it is and that's that. That is all in saying.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
i guess my county is wrong then because it says sports 2dr coupe on the registration then >_>
That doesn't say "sports car" now, does it? What's the chance that the person responsible for that label whether in your county or at the state's DMV was enough of an enthusiast to care what kind of label they were going to use? All it has to be for them is to be a different term from what they've already assigned to some other general class of car, and perhaps minimally suggestive of the car's general appearance.

A Miata is a sports car. Mustang does not equal Miata, agreed?

I don't understand why people are so willing to change the Mustang's category name away from the very term that it inspired for a whole class of cars. Being revisionist about this is to ignore the Mustang's own history as well as its effect on automotive history . . . all because a bunch of newbie know-it-alls can't bring themselves to appreciate tradition.

The term 'pony car' offers more flexibility than either 'sports car' or 'muscle car'. Those category names imply significantly different performance emphasis, and the Mustang can be pushed in either direction with appropriate modifications. As well as along a GT/touring car theme, which is where cars bigger and less nimble than sports cars and a little slower and better suited to cornering than muscle cars really belong.

Norm

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
this thread needs to be locked and thrown away

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
this thread needs to be locked and thrown away
Another passionate debate. I think it's a healthy argument...many different opinions. So far, GT, Muscle, Sports Car, and Pony car appear to be a fair description of the Mustang.

What does it mean to me. Word Games and who gives a hoot what category it belongs in.

Maybe that's what is so special about this 50 Year Mustang - a new class or a convergence. I say job well done by Ford for breaking boundaries because clearly people cant unanimously classify the car in this poll of 4 categories.

Muscle Car
219.17%Grand Tourer
5624.45%Sports car
9139.74%Pony car

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

grantourer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I love seeing people that can't handle debate and opinions that differ from their own. Get all frustrated, and want to "lock the thread" because they can't accept other peoples opinions and respectfully and intelligently disagree with them. You don't like conversation, go somewhere else.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
Another passionate debate. I think it's a healthy argument...many different opinions. So far, GT, Muscle, Sports Car, and Pony car appear to be a fair description of the Mustang.

What does it mean to me. Word Games and who gives a hoot what category it belongs in.

Maybe that's what is so special about this 50 Year Mustang - a new class or a convergence. I say job well done by Ford for breaking boundaries because clearly people cant unanimously classify the car in this poll of 4 categories.

Muscle Car
219.17%Grand Tourer
5624.45%Sports car
9139.74%Pony car
there is a difference between debate discussion and ZOMG YOU'RE WRONG

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Laughable. What is right then? You obviously haven't proven your point to sway others. I look at it this way...If I'm wrong everyone is because as it stands right now everyone is selecting 4 out of the 4 categories.

...so if some are misinformed or wrong. Please by all means. Make it right since you are so passionate in doing such.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
...and why argue the difference between debate and discussion? No need to get into more arguments over a single word...

Note: I have no idea where the word discussion and debate needs to be challenged? So what the F&#$ are you talking about Willis?

Get ahold of yourself. :chill: