Sponsored

What if the "Tick" can't be fixed?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As I sit and think about what's going on, I can't help but wonder if the "Tick" simply can't be fixed. There are certainly some people who have had scored cylinders, and even some rod bearing failures. But really, not that many. Now some guys are saying the tick is caused by sloppy wrist pins. OK, I'll buy that for a bit.
Yet, as I myself have thoroughly checked my oil filters and filtered my used oil, I find nothing out of the ordinary. Yet, the tick persists. From what I understand the overwhelming majority of people with this tick who have taken it in for this problem have also repeatedly had everything checked out, and nothing abnormal was found.
In fact many cars are ticking right off the lot. So what do you do, when they say it's normal? Especially when most of them will go silent after running the engines hard for several minutes?
I asked everyone here with this issue to do a simple 3,500rpm run test and report results in one thread, but no one on here seems interested in that, so I'll just leave it at that.

What I mean is, what if more consideration was taken into running the engines hard at high rpm, and less consideration for super smooth and quiet operation at low load?
What if the increase in piston diameter and bore size has accentuated this issue more so than the 2015-2017 models?
As an engine does break in, and some tolerances open up as expected, then maybe this tick is simply the result of an engine that's meant to run at higher performance levels.

Think of it like this. If this particular new design starts to open up tolerances as it breaks in, then those tolerances will close properly and become smoother and quieter when it's run very hard. When this new piston/cylinder design cools back to normal operating temp, those tolerances simply open up and start ticking more.
The opposite problem may occur. And that is, if the engine was designed with even closer tolerances to run at low load conditions and be silent, then maybe it would eat itself when everything expands at high temp and high load.

I watched some videos of that younger fella on YouTube, Stangmode. When he got his car, the first thing he did was a 7,000rpm burnout in the parking lot, and that guy has beaten the cr@p out of that car every weekend at the drag strip since. Yet, apparently his engine has no ticks.
Maybe he had a tick at the very beginning, and from all the psychotic abuse, it just went away fairly quickly before he even noticed it. All this happened last year of course, because he was one of the first people to get the 2018 GT. The amount of abuse he gave that car in the first 2 months by January 2018, is more than most of us would abuse our cars in two or three years.

Maybe this tick will actually slowly subside as the engines get closer to 100,000 miles of normal use. We just don't know.

The only other option I can think of with my car, is it's a timing issue, and not even a piston or bearing issue. If there is just the slightest problem with a cam sensor signal or other inputs, it would cause very small knocking that may be so slight and intermittent that it won't be compensated for, or enough to throw a code. I think it may have been what happened with 50h silvers car. Not sure what else his issue is, but I think the ECU in his car has got something seriously wrong with it. Especially after two more sensors supposedly went bad a couple days later.

Any thoughts on all this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I had the tick, changed the oil with MC 5w30 and Ceratec and haven't heard it. Then I sent it down the dragstrip a bunch of times at a track rental. Still no tick. Not sure if it will return, but you could be onto something. FWIW the car was strong at the track.

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
its kinda odd because i had no tick for the first 2k, then the tick started only on a cold engine. Fast forward to Now 8k and the tick is no longer there. my tick happend after my first oil change. after the first 3k of the fresh oil (mc 5w20) the tick was there but barely there. Now wether is cold/hot/mild it has no tick. So to tell you the truth... Im just gonna let it be till

A: Someone finds the fix
B: Drive it till it grenades and hopefully by then Ford has found the issue (if there even is one)

Who knows but im keeping my ears and eyes wide open on this matter.

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I just watched Stangmodes latest video it’s clear he has the tick. Like you said he has driven the car and so far no engine problems. Mine has the tick had it since 400 miles now at 1600 miles. I’m not going to address it till either a proper fix is out or the block shatters.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
My thoughts on the topic of the various ticks after reading through hundreds of posts:

1. It's a fundamental design problem that is exacerbated by production tolerances. This is why some cars do it and others do not.

2. Some people are more sensitive to noises than others. So enthusiasts like us folks are going to be more keen to hearing noises than the average person who just wants to drive a Mustang. The dealers claiming this is "normal" feeds into that as well. I'll bet most owners, overall in the scheme of things, accept that explanation and move on.

3. Ford knows darn well what is wrong and the reason it hasn't been fixed in the latest models is because it *is* a design problem and will cost Ford a fortune to re-tool. Ford is treading water until the next version of this motor is released and also biding their time with stalling tactics until warranties expire. Running out the clock if you will.

From a logical POV the key to solving this problem is to pin down when reports started to surface and to determine what has changed with these motors along the way.
Suppliers?
Change in manufacturing specs, ie: mid-stream design changes?
Manufacturing?
New line techs doing assembly?

Personally my antenna go up with this cylinder coating process.
But that's just me. The one super puzzling aspect of this is why are there so many complaints of the ticking starting after the first oil change?
That throws a real curve ball into this issue.
Is it possible, that Ford uses some kind of break in addititive on the line when these motors are built and that's what keeps them quiet?
Even if true, that doesn't explain folks getting the tick before the first oil change, so my suspicion is there are multiple problems.

Sorry for the dissertation but as I'm looking at buying a 2019 or maybe a 2019 Camaro, which BTW at least up to 2018 has it's own set of problems with tranny shudder, erratic shifting (automatics) and differential groan.
Scary stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

Killswitch16GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP
Is it time for class action yet?

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My thoughts on the topic of the various ticks after reading through hundreds of posts:

1. It's a fundamental design problem that is exacerbated by production tolerances. This is why some cars do it and others do not.

2. Some people are more sensitive to noises than others. So enthusiasts like us folks are going to be more keen to hearing noises than the average person who just wants to drive a Mustang. The dealers claiming this is "normal" feeds into that as well. I'll bet most owners, overall in the scheme of things, accept that explanation and move on.

3. Ford knows darn well what is wrong and the reason it hasn't been fixed in the latest models is because it *is* a design problem and will cost Ford a fortune to re-tool. Ford is treading water until the next version of this motor is released and also biding their time with stalling tactics until warranties expire. Running out the clock if you will.

From a logical POV the key to solving this problem is to pin down when reports started to surface and to determine what has changed with these motors along the way.
Suppliers?
Change in manufacturing specs, ie: mid-stream design changes?
Manufacturing?
New line techs doing assembly?

Personally my antenna go up with this cylinder coating process.
But that's just me. The one super puzzling aspect of this is why are there so many complaints of the ticking starting after the first oil change?
That throws a real curve ball into this issue.
Is it possible, that Ford uses some kind of break in addititive on the line when these motors are built and that's what keeps them quiet?
Even if true, that doesn't explain folks getting the tick before the first oil change, so my suspicion is there are multiple problems.

Sorry for the dissertation but as I'm looking at buying a 2019 or maybe a 2019 Camaro, which BTW at least up to 2018 has it's own set of problems with tranny shudder, erratic shifting (automatics) and differential groan.
Scary stuff.

Just my 2 cents.
Tick has been around since the gen 1 Coyote so the cylinder lining probably has nothing to do with it. It also exists in the 6.7 diesel and the 6.2 gas engines Ford uses in the big pickups.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Tick has been around since the gen 1 Coyote so the cylinder lining probably has nothing to do with it. It also exists in the 6.7 diesel and the 6.2 gas engines Ford uses in the big pickups.
Is it the same tick though? I don't seem to recall reading much about the Gen 1 cars having these problems, but then again I wasn't researching a purchase so I suppose it's possible.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it the same tick though? I don't seem to recall reading much about the Gen 1 but then again I wasn't researching a purchase.
Same tick. The Gen 3 has a low rpm rattle that is unique to it. Some attribute it to piston slap

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Same tick. The Gen 3 has a low rpm rattle that is unique to it. Some attribute it to piston slap
Thank you for the clarification.
So possibly cylinder coating isn't the direct cause but that still brings us back to multiple variations of ticks/noises and possibly multiple causes. I still say design problem of sorts and stand by the rest of my long winded post :)

Sponsored
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I still think it's piston design with the wider cylinders and/or an ECU knock programming issue.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Is it the same tick though? I don't seem to recall reading much about the Gen 1 cars having these problems, but then again I wasn't researching a purchase so I suppose it's possible.
here's 11-14 thread on tick. same thing. short block replacements, tick comes back, long blocks... people trading in for 2015 hoping the problem would be fixed.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/my-bbq-tick-story-with-a-happy-ending.1069954/

2018+ added rattle on top of it. So so.e 2018+ have tick and rattle, some just one of it.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I have a feeling it would be more work to fix the tick with a part than it is just swapping out an engine.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
What if after new short/long block the tick reappears. :).
Sponsored