What do y’all do for a living?

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Software engineer here too, I know enough mainframe to know what Balr14 means. If you're in software and have done mainframes somewhere in your past, you're probably doing OK because you've already seen "cloud computing." [Hint: it's just someone else's computer.] Got a side gig going with floppy disks, pays enough for the toy cars.
Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Mechanical Engineer working in Telecom business (Cell Tower Fiber optics). I also do Medical Billing.

Autopart101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Manage The Aircrft On The Ground Desk for a Cargo Airline. Also hold an Aircraft dispatcher certificate. 20 years in this field.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Wait until the world is taken over by the adepts of the Cloud religion
Yeah I see the backlash coming. But all customer data centers I've seen are so horrific run, they have no idea what they have or what the equipment is tied to, that cloud is far more accountable. That it's someone else's computer and that it's by definition not secure is completely lost on c-suite. They only care about opex vs capex.

Then again so many sysadmin are of such bad quality it doesn't matter if it's cloud or physical, they still make a mess.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Manage The Aircrft On The Ground Desk for a Cargo Airline
Do you get to wear a headset and push little figurines of airplanes around a giant glass table with a long stick?

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Doctor of Chiropractic for almost 26 years. I own a practice that's been running for 36 years, and I am a partner( 1 of 4) in a small real estate investment company.
do you also leave with your big brother who is a jingle writer in Malibu or as you guys call it the Bu ?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I see the backlash coming. But all customer data centers I've seen are so horrific run, they have no idea what they have or what the equipment is tied to, that cloud is far more accountable. That it's someone else's computer and that it's by definition not secure is completely lost on c-suite. They only care about opex vs capex.

Then again so many sysadmin are of such bad quality it doesn't matter if it's cloud or physical, they still make a mess.
I'm a Cloud Solutions Architect with like 10+ years of experience. Was actually designing HP private cloud offerings back in the days before that went south. Now migrating a 4000+ servers data center to the cloud fully automated with infrastructure-as-code my team even made similar automation for the VCenter on-prem. I would said that compared to the old way of doing business this is much better. Not to mention managers are super happy with the end result.

Boyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boyd
Vehicle(s)
17 F5 Cobra, 93 Fox race car, 21 Mach 1, 23 F150
Aircraft Mechanic, 39 years. Last 33 with Big Brown. Worked the line on big Boeing and Airbus. Had about every cert a mechanic can have including high power engine run & taxi, CAT, Inspection, etc. Retired 1 year ago at 59.5.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Operation Management in the resort/tourism industry. I oversee a few teams between South Florida, Puerto Rico and St Thomas. Started with my foot in the door and worked my way up.

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I breed show guinea pigs and do hand modeling on the side. That's what I tell people on a plane if I just don't feel like talking. But seriously, I have no marketable skills so after spending the first 14 years in the workforce getting yelled at for other people's cars breaking down (service advisor at a new car dealer) I've spent the last 17 in federal law enforcement hoping that suspicious packages and people don't blow up in my face.
I basically try to put aside the cash for stuff but when something pops up I am glad to have affirm and paypal credit too.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Train engineer here

Sometimes I dabble with the idea of doing the supercharger thing, but the perfectionist in me wants to do a built shortblock first just so I don't have to worry about it which pretty much doubles the cost....
Either way, don't feel bad about not having endless money to spend on fun stuff. Simply having one of these cars at all is an achievement, even if they're "affordable". For probably 90% of earth's inhabitants, they sure aren't lol

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
do you also leave with your big brother who is a jingle writer in Malibu or as you guys call it the Bu ?
The one Chiropractor in TV history and he's a wienie. Nah, I'm 6'3 260lbs, and played Rugby and was a bouncer for 6 years during my college undergrad/graduate years.
Sponsored