Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
I use a 3' cheater bar which allows me to control the amount of force applied a little at a time to brake the nut loose, and hopefully not twist the lugs. Using a small amount of ant-seize compound helps when you re-install. Hope you get it off.
I forgot to mention that I did try a cheater bar for leverage, more than once. And, yes, I will definitely be putting anti-seize on there in the future. Thank you!
Sponsored

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Were the lugs or spacer nuts cross threaded when initially installed? Or way over torqued?
No the spacer nuts went on, and have come off before, just fine. Looking at the threads, they all still look fine as well. I torque the spacer nuts to 135 ft lbs., a little less than the 150 the lugs nuts are at, so you would think an impact with that much power would have no problem breaking them loose. :crazy:

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Bolt extractor worked for the ones that had that got stuck. Just tap it on. You probably stripped the lug. The eBay ones use cheaper soft lugs.
I'm not sure how that would work as the other end of the stud is splined inside the hub with a head on the other side. It wouldn't be able to pull it out. Am I missing something??

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
That's a beautiful color, BM. :D

What are your plans for it? Mods, or keep it stock?
Thanks, i like it too.

I want to see what the capabilities are in stock form first and to get under the skin of a few local 6th gen Camaro Dudes at the track. a supercharger and complimenting components are in the cars future though.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
Rearranged my garage to fit the car in it...
Ordered stripes from Bigworm
Red caliper paint (figured it will be easier to do it right away so cleaning will be less intensive).
And waited another day for delivery...

Sponsored

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Took her out for a drive.

Nice days here in SFLA and traffic has died down after the holidays - just all the snowbirds split town already. Crazy drivers in SFLA without the snowbirds add them to the mix and its just plain dangerous taking out your car. :mad:
IMG_6524.JPG
IMG_6526.JPG
IMG_6532.JPG
IMG_6530.JPG
IMG_6531.JPG
IMG_6534.JPG

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Well I tried to fix (take off) my Eibach wheel spacers and replace my rotors and pads. Also planned on painting the calipers while I was in there. While checking and torqueing the lugs the other day, one of the studs just twisted and broke. :frusty: So since I planned on doing the brakes anyway, I figured I would run without the spacers for awhile until I figured out my next move. Not so easy. Took the wheel off and the first 4 nuts holding on the spacer, but the 5th would not budge. I'm using a Mac 650 ft lb 1/2 " impact and the compressor is a 60 gallon 300 psi unit. Lets just say I have NEVER had a problem getting anything loose with this. Plenty of penetrating fluid used next. Nothing. Tried heating it up and hitting it again with the impact. Nothing. I can't believe the stud hasn't broke at this point. I'm hoping to find a shop that has a 1000 ft lb impact and seeing if that works. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Maybe try putting the lugs on each side of it back on and torque them down. Might relieve a little pressure to get that one off then. Just a thought.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I'm not sure how that would work as the other end of the stud is splined inside the hub with a head on the other side. It wouldn't be able to pull it out. Am I missing something??
Bolt extractor looks like a regular socket but it with a 1/2” adapter to work with your breaker bar or impact. It’s grooved on the inside and grabs the nut. Mine socket just kept spinning. That’s probably what’s happening with yours.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Bolt extractor looks like a regular socket but it with a 1/2” adapter to work with your breaker bar or impact. It’s grooved on the inside and grabs the nut. Mine socket just kept spinning. That’s probably what’s happening with yours.
As long as the Lug Nut is not rounded you should be able to remove the lug nut with an "extended length" 1/2 inch Breaker Bar. I have always been able to remove a lug nut with a breaker bar. I have found using an impact many times the nut jacket (THE CHROME PART) spins free of the actual nut. These jacketed Lug Nuts are trash and are easy to spin.

Sponsored

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
No the spacer nuts went on, and have come off before, just fine. Looking at the threads, they all still look fine as well. I torque the spacer nuts to 135 ft lbs., a little less than the 150 the lugs nuts are at, so you would think an impact with that much power would have no problem breaking them loose. :crazy:
I only use 100 ft lb on lug nuts.
Lee

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
I found out that my car runs OK with one tailpipe plugged.

Backing up and turning in the driveway in the fallout from the snowbomb, I backed into a snowbank, then drove about half an hour at moderate slow highway speeds. When I parked, I noticed the driver side tailpipe was plugged with hard-packed snow. I needed to poke around with a screwdriver to break it up and pull it out. Doesn't seem to have caused any problems; ran fine on the drive home.

I wonder if I'd have noticed any difference if I'd floored it. Guess I'm lucky the roads were too slick to do that.
You'd probably of put a snowball through somebody's windscreen :lol:

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Maybe try putting the lugs on each side of it back on and torque them down. Might relieve a little pressure to get that one off then. Just a thought.
Not a bad idea. Thank you!
Sponsored