What are the track guys using for pads?

SchnellGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
First season with the GT350. Want to make sure the pads are up to snuff. Typically use Pagid orange or yellow on my prior P-Cars. Would like a compound whose dust doesn’t become concrete on the wheels when exposed to water. Happy to swap in and out in between events but if there is a reasonable compromise with some streetability that would be great. Hate the typical track pad squeals at stop lights…
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OEM is a good deal for a weekend warrior that still drives their car on the street. They have great stopping power and work well up to 100TW tires.

Once on slicks, I suggest a true race pad. My preference is Cobalt Friction. They last longer than others I have tried and are impossible to overheat from what I've experience.

They're also made right here in the USA and can be at your door in3-4 days.

Bugs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback Restomod in GT350 livery
I use Pagid RSL29 on my GT350 for HPDE and Autocross.. Less dust than OEM. Significantly more initial bite, but modulation is great. I've got 6K street miles and 5 track days on them with little wear. They squeak a bit coming to a stop. Happy so far.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
First season with the GT350. Want to make sure the pads are up to snuff. Typically use Pagid orange or yellow on my prior P-Cars. Would like a compound whose dust doesn’t become concrete on the wheels when exposed to water. Happy to swap in and out in between events but if there is a reasonable compromise with some streetability that would be great. Hate the typical track pad squeals at stop lights…
I'd stay with the Pagid RSL29's - yellows - that you used on the Porsche. Less dust, easy clean, work very well, streetable, long lasting, etc.

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I use Pagid RSL29's as well. They are fantastic and I wont be switching.

OP
OP
SchnellGT350

SchnellGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Thanks guys (and sorry for missing that there was a very similar thread already recently started). Decided to stick with the Pagid yellows

Sponsored
OP
OP
SchnellGT350

SchnellGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Yellows are working well. Good performance on track. Bit of noise on the street but not terrible

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Im using the stock pads. I have added Cooling shields from Full Tilt Boogie (prototypes) and that made a huge difference in heat coming off the brakes at the end of a session.

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I've run and like both Pagid yellows (both old and new generation) and Cobalt Friction XR2 front (not running slicks). Pagid are excellent pads and hard to fault, however, I think the Cobalt Friction pad is slightly better. Also, with new inflation price adjustment that happened with Pagid, the Cobalt Friction pads are generally a better value as well.

Hobdul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2022 Volvo V60 Polestar
I've run and like both Pagid yellows (both old and new generation) and Cobalt Friction XR2 front (not running slicks). Pagid are excellent pads and hard to fault, however, I think the Cobalt Friction pad is slightly better. Also, with new inflation price adjustment that happened with Pagid, the Cobalt Friction pads are generally a better value as well.
What do you run in the rear for pads? XR3s? XR2s? Thanks

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I've typically run Xr3, but I think I might go to Xr2. Reason being I want more rear brake bias.
I was at the BMW 50th anniversary of BMW M, this past Friday, and was talking to Bill Auberlin asking about what he does from brake zone to apex. The pro-race guys run the brake bias at full-rear bias (as far as their adjustment lets them go) to help with car positioning. If you look at pro driver's they generally apex earlier than us hobby guys, but their cars are pointing more down the next straight than the typical DE driver who is "YOU ARE APEXING TOO EARLY!" They are doing that with steering obviously, but the fine-tuning is with rear brake bias to get some more rotation. Anyway, that's my rational for going to XR2 all-around next time. Might not be optimal for all DE driver's as you will spin easier if you are applying moderate brake pressure with steering input, and it's going to be really bad if you run in the wet.
Sponsored