WANTING YOUR 10 SPEED TO SHIFT RIGHT?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
For most people, there is absolutely no reason for the 10 speed transmission to use all 10 gears when just driving around town or using gentle throttle. The skipping of 2nd and 4th makes for a smoother and more refined driving experience. As others have said, under heavier throttle, it does NOT skip gears even in normal drive. For those who want a more aggressive feel and to not skip gears even at lighter throttle input, simply drive in sport mode. That mode does, however, lock out 10th gear but you can engage it via the paddle. What I have always liked about the 10A is that it is like having multiple transmissions all in one. You can alter its behavior via the drive modes as well as use of the sport mode.

Having said this, I applaud Livernois for their work on this. If someone wants it to use all the gears, for whatever reason, but not have the more aggressive shift points and downshifts of using the sport mode, this Livernois trans tune should fit the bill. I do not like the title of this thread, though.....implying that skipping gears is not "right."
Sponsored

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
True, but the thread was about the out of the box configuration in auto. If ford is going to offer a 10 speed trans, it should have all 10 gears available at all times in auto, not just under certain conditions. In normal mode the 10 speed skip shifts, thus defeating the purpose of having a 10 speed.
The 10-speed automatic was a joint engineering venture with General Motors.

It shifts 1-3-5 and up when using light throttle. Give it heavier throttle or plant your foot and it will use all 10 and do so very effectively. Obviously you've never driven one. It's an amazing transmission with a different 'personality' in each mode offered.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I understand all that, but if your going to skip gears anyway, your just defeating the purpose of the 10 speed. By skipping gears 2 and 4 you have essentially created an 8 speed. Sometimes I think ford introduces new technology just to have an excuse to raise prices even more than the typical yearly increase.
You're not defeating the purpose of having a 10 speed. If you're driving under light load conditions, there's no need to go 1, 2, 3, 4 as those shifts are so close together that the tranny will run through them so fast as to not really accomplish anything. Going 1, 3, 5 will net you the same performance (remember, we're talking light loads here, not standing on it!) with fewer shift cycles. If you step down on it, it'll row through the gears sequentially as you'd expect it to and the narrow gear spacing helps keep the engine in the meat of the power band. I've got a manual transmissioned GT and when in traffic at limited speeds, it's not uncommon for me to do a 1, 3, 5 shift pattern. The engine handles it just fine and it's more relaxing for me. Having said that, if a person really prefers the transmission go through each gear all the time, this seems like a reasonable solution.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
When using the paddles it doesn't seem to skip shift and I'd actually like it to. Today I observed it hitting every gear after popping the paddle several times. It just fired through each gear one by one until my target was reached.

It happened after a hard WOT acceleration. Once I got to speed I wanted to get into 10th but just went one by one taking a couple seconds to get there.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
My tuner has it setup (300a) so drive will skipshift under light load. Sport hits them all regardless of load. Pretty simple. Livernois for tuning...not. Lol.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I have no issue with the upshift pattern in D when driving lightly around town. If I want quick shifts I use S. What I do have a problem with is downshifts in D, which I find harsh when coasting up to a red light, given the silky smooth upshifts.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I have no issue with the upshift pattern in D when driving lightly around town. If I want quick shifts I use S. What I do have a problem with is downshifts in D, which I find harsh when coasting up to a red light, given the silky smooth upshifts.
I always find D downshifts smoothly unless S or S+. But I get a kick out the downshifts when in sports mode. But I worry it may be interpreted as aggressive driving.

This car is really like having two cars in one. I decided to do a comfort, quiet test with my E85R tune today and it felt like a luxury sedan. I did not observe any skip shifts so it has me wondering if I want them or not.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
To me it seems logical it should skip gears when there are 10 available. What would be a reason to not skip gears? Smoother delivery of power perhaps??

I'm also wondering why I can't go from say 4th to 10th once I reach speed. It has to row through all the gears and the engine stays revved up longer than needed.

I'd like to be able to do a hold pull on the upshift and hit cruise or maximum power on a downshift hold. If tuners could do that I'd be happy! Mercedes cars do that and it adds a level of control similar to having a stick. Because you can call up max power or settle into a cruise at the optimal gear for each.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Putting the transmission selector in S doesn't void your warranty. the other option does. :)

Sponsored

sicpuppy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Challenger Hellcat
I think this thread is more of a "Let's sell a tune" instead of "the shifting pattern is a problem"
If you don't like the shifting pattern in D put it in the S/S+ mode.
I've seen post where people complained about being too many gear changes in the 10 speed.
I wish my Hellcat shifted like my GT does in S mode.

OP
OP
Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
It is strictly an option. Once again must be by request. Also just putting a tune in a car doesn't void your warranty. It states that they must prove your aftermarket part or tune is what caused the damage. Even that being said some dealers will fight more then others.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
It is strictly an option. Once again must be by request. Also just putting a tune in a car doesn't void your warranty. It states that they must prove your aftermarket part or tune is what caused the damage. Even that being said some dealers will fight more then others.
I am glad it is an option. I am a fan of Dan Millen and Livernois but I want it to skip gears in drive under light throttle. Regarding warranties, there are some people that think if you fart in the car, it will void the warranty. (not that farting in the car is recommended or desired) :)

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As I've posted in other threads, the 10-speed in my car in D is incredibly smooth around town, and it's completely stock. I can't tell it's shifted without looking at the dash in many cases, so it seems to handle it well.

In S/S+, it is aggressive and the rev-matching down-shifts in traffic are a little jarring and I also think it makes it look like I'm trying to be Mr. Sports Car Driver, which I don't like. However, I've gone on some twisty road trips and in that situation, without stoplights and such, it's great and the aggressiveness matches the driving (slowing down for a corner, then accelerating out of it, and not actually stopping at an intersection), so it doesn't really feel jarring to me then.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
One of the benefits of the analog/base IP is there is no gear number display except when shifting manually so skipped gears in around town driving usually aren't obvious. This is especially true with me because our other daily driver is a 4 speed auto 97 GT which not only has much bigger gaps between gears but also has MUCH less power than the 18 GT 10 speed. The 18 feels and is MUCH quicker after a 1 - 3 shift than the 97 feels after a 1 - 2 shift. :)
Sponsored