Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Like Pappy always said, some people would gripe if they were hung by a new rope. I grew up with the only automatics had 2 or 3 gears, but you could shift 14+ times in a manual on a big rig. I had no issues in skipping gears rather than take three shifts to hit 5mph.
Sponsored

velocityblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Convertible, 2002 Toyota Avalon, 1986 Suzuki Samuri
I have a 2019 GT Convertible. The 10 speed definitely has a learning curve, especially if you have previously owned an older automatic.

When In D (Normal Mode) the car shifts from 1st to 3rd and then to 5th and wants to get to 10th as soon as possible (I’m sure this is for mileage considerations), this can feel soft and a little sloppy if you are expecting something more aggressive.

When In S (Sport Mode) the car will hit all the gears, however the rpm difference between gears isn’t much, so if you are just driving around town it will try to get to 8 or 9 quickly so the shifts happen soon and at a lower rpm than you might want. However, depending on how aggressively you press the “go” peddle you will stay in the gears longer and the shifts will be crisper. The computer learns your driving style and will adjust accordingly.

I drive mostly in S Mode and for a little extra fun I use the paddle shifters. When starting after a complete stop I upshift from 1st to 2nd quickly then somewhere between 3000 and 5000 (depending on conditions and how I feel at the time) I will upshift to 3rd. You can drive all day in 3rd gear on surface streets and enjoy the higher revs, greater throttle control, and the nice sound the Mustang has. I have also discovered that when stopped you are able to upshift to 2nd and start there, avoiding the super low 1st gear.

When you are in S mode and using the paddles, the car will stay in paddle mode until you either select D or hold the upshift paddle for 2 seconds.

When I find a nice straight on-ramp to the freeway (interstate) I let the computer take over and at half to Âľ throttle it will hit 95 very quickly just as the car hits 4th gear. To merge I have to slow down to 65, but I do get a kick in the butt on each upshift before I (sadly) have to join traffic.

I hope some of this helps, the car is a blast you just have to teach it to do what you want it to.

nate-roth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I find myself slipping the shifter in S at a stop light to accelerate and then slipping it back into D as I'm coasting to a redlight. I really don't like the part throttle acceleration feel of the car in D and don't like the revmatching downshifts in S when just cruisng around. I know all this can be fixed with a tune which is where Im headed.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
I find myself slipping the shifter in S at a stop light to accelerate and then slipping it back into D as I'm coasting to a redlight. I really don't like the part throttle acceleration feel of the car in D and don't like the revmatching downshifts in S when just cruisng around. I know all this can be fixed with a tune which is where Im headed.
This.

I have all the drive modes but it is so easy to just move the shifter to S for accelerating and D for decelerating if you don't want rev matching downshifts and want to keep your rpm low and or if you are ever on a track or descending a mountain and the trans temps are getting high.

Since I've invested heavily in brakes and since brakes are easy to maintain vs the wear and tear from engine braking this will be how I drive most of the time on the streets.

SuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I thought the 10 speeds have what Ford calls adaptive learning. When I got my 2018 GT PP1 I thought I would never like the way it shifts, but after about 1000 miles it is totally different shifting than when it was new, and at track day in S+ or Track mode it is very responsive and it shifts very positively on command.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I thought the 10 speeds have what Ford calls adaptive learning. When I got my 2018 GT PP1 I thought I would never like the way it shifts, but after about 1000 miles it is totally different shifting than when it was new, and at track day in S+ or Track mode it is very responsive and it shifts very positively on command.
Bingo. It really takes a good 600-800 miles for it to really begin to “adapt” to your habits, and I’d argue that it’s closer to 2000 miles before it’s fully adapted.

SuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Spork, I would agree on the 2k miles as mine is totally different than when it was new, What a Machine.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think this thread is more of a "Let's sell a tune" instead of "the shifting pattern is a problem"
If you don't like the shifting pattern in D put it in the S/S+ mode.
I've seen post where people complained about being too many gear changes in the 10 speed.
I wish my Hellcat shifted like my GT does in S mode.
Mildly driven, this transmission would shift six times before you hit 50 mph, assuming upshifts occurred at 2500 rpm and 3.15 gears. I think - after a while, anyway - that would annoy far more people than it would please.

Norm

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Mildly driven, this transmission would shift six times before you hit 50 mph, assuming upshifts occurred at 2500 rpm and 3.15 gears. I think - after a while, anyway - that would annoy far more people than it would please.
Norm
Agree about too many shifts being more annoying than pleasing. Mildly driven, it will be in 10th gear by around 45-50 MPH with the 3.55 gear. As I said before, the gears are so closely spaced that under light acceleration, you just don't need to use them all. Thankfully, the engineers know this so skipping 2nd and 5th was designed into the software.

Like another poster said earlier, I often skipped gears with my manual when just slogging around town. 1st, 3rd and 5th worked quite well.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Norm
Mildly driven, you don’t even feel the shifts occurring in normal mode, so, it’s not much of an issue nor annoying, IMO.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I agree you barely feel the shifts but changing gears every 4 mph is useless and unnecessary. That is what I would find annoying.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
If you do not like the shifts, Buy a Cadillac
Lol...the only time Cadillac will ever have a transmission as versatile and effective as the 10r80 is when they start using it in all their rwd vehicles instead of just the Escalade.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree you barely feel the shifts but changing gears every 4 mph is useless and unnecessary. That is what I would find annoying.
But why? How is it annoying if you don’t even feel it occurring? I guess I’m just not understanding why it would be an issue under low throttle. If you punch it, even in normal, it’ll rev out through the gears. I could see it being annoying if it aggressively hunted gears or constantly shifted under hard or wide-open throttle, but it doesn’t.