Sponsored

WANTING YOUR 10 SPEED TO SHIFT RIGHT?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Nowhere near long enough. Just getting past my left leg having nothing to do is a major hurdle that I'm sure is casting a negative influence.

Norm
Try left foot braking. Just remember don't overlap brake and gas unless "on track or autocross" with stability control completely off. On track/autocross without LFB brace with your left leg. :)
Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Nowhere near long enough. Just getting past my left leg having nothing to do is a major hurdle that I'm sure is casting a negative influence.

Norm
I've had manual sporty cars since the '80s, and this is the first automatic Mustang I've owned, and it does take some getting used to. My left leg still sometimes goes for a phantom pedal, and I'll reach for the shifter when slowing down. I've had an automatic SUV for a while, so I think I am adjusting fairly quickly, but there's something about the Mustang that still makes me think "manual" sometimes when I'm driving it. I've tinkered with the paddles, but with 10 gears, they are tightly spaced so you're making several shifts per corner sometimes. With my feeling that the auto handles it pretty well on its own, there's not a lot of motivation to take over, and the muscle memory of going for the clutch and shifter are hard to replace with a paddle.

I haven't done any track work with any of mine, so for a hard charging track day, I can't say how the auto compares. Part my my thinking when getting the auto was that I also heard a lot of people didn't like the new gearing on the manual, so I wasn't sure I'd be completely happy with it either. When that was factored in with other considerations, I decided to try the auto, and so far, I am not unhappy. If I had a lot of money, I'd probably get one of each.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Try left foot braking. Just remember don't overlap brake and gas unless "on track or autocross" with stability control completely off. On track/autocross without LFB brace with your left leg. :)
Having had only 3-pedal cars since about 1972 or 73, I'm afraid that might not be such a good idea regardless of any nannies. Though I do remember using LFB to advantage in greater Boston (MA) traffic in the late 1960's when all of the cars available to me were automatics.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My left leg still sometimes goes for a phantom pedal, and I'll reach for the shifter when slowing down.
I've got a beaut of a story about that, from about the mid-1970's involving a rental car, pouring rain, a familiar Interstate on-ramp, and right about where I'd have normally upshifted my own 4MT car . . . I can still replay most of the mental video.

Norm

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Long time rower of the gears here. First mustang was a '79 pace car edition(showing my age!) Had an automatic cougar XR7 in there somewhere but the '19 is the first auto mustang I've owned and I'm really enjoying it. Accelerating I'm fine but on de-cell I instinctively reach for the shifter. :crazy: Letting the tranny 'learn' is critical and why some of the reviews of the A10 are negative because the writer spends a couple of hours, or even a couple of weeks in the car and it never gets dialed-in. That said, the A10 is not for everyone. I've found that being smooth on the go-pedal is very important. If you are someone who is on and off of the accelerator a lot in normal mode you will confuse this transmission and it will not be your buddy. Treat her smoothly and with some respect and she responds accordingly and when it's time to go she's right there with you... The car, I'm talking about the car! :wink:

Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
My car has the Livernois E85 flex tune, and I definitely like the new trans tweaks. The GT Perf. Pack and 10R80 are extra fun on E85. You guys did a terrific job.

What I would really like is if there was a way to modify the original transmission programming so the transmission doesn’t hang in gear when you let off from a rolling kick. It is annoying and a little alarming to need to frantically use the paddles when merging onto an LA freeway, and the engine keeps spinning at 7500 RPM - these situations are enough of a handful. The trans should at least upshift one or two gears at that point, appropriate to whatever reduction in throttle demand is called for.

I know it doesn’t hang in D mode. But I do want to use the other modes too without the sensation that a well intended OEM “feature” missed the mark and ended up as an aggravation. Maybe Livernois could look into this as a further improvement for the next release?

Last edited:

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I agree that the performance modes do hang in the lower gears a bit long when you back off. With Dan's flex tune, I mostly use normal drive on the street. He firmed up the shifts and improved throttle response so much in normal drive that I don't really feel the need for the other modes except for drag racing.

velocityblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Convertible, 2002 Toyota Avalon, 1986 Suzuki Samuri
My car has the Livernois E85 flex tune, and I definitely like the new trans tweaks. The GT Perf. Pack and 10R80 are extra fun on E85. You guys did a terrific job.

What I would really like is if there was a way to modify the original transmission programming so the transmission doesn’t hang in gear when you let off from a rolling kick. It is annoying and a little alarming to need to frantically use the paddles when merging onto an LA freeway, and the engine keeps spinning at 7500 RPM - these situations are enough of a handful. The trans should at least upshift one or two gears at that point, appropriate to whatever reduction in throttle demand is called for.

I know it doesn’t hang in D mode. But I do want to use the other modes too without the sensation that a well intended OEM “feature” missed the mark and ended up as an aggravation. Maybe Livernois could look into this as a further improvement for the next release?
My '19 GT Convertible now has almost 5000 miles of transmission training under its wheels. I drive almost exclusively in the "S" Sport mode. At low throttle the car goes through the gears quickly up until I let off the throttle, usually about 5th gear, then it will settle in and pick a gear for sustained speed.
If I give it half to 3/4 throttle the transmission holds shits to about 5500 rpm and shifts up until I back off the throttle. When I back off the throttle it usually makes one more shift and then settles into an appropriate gear for my speed. It does not hang in gear up to redline and I don't have to force a shift.
If I give the car full throttle it will hold to redline until I back off then makes one last upshift and stop accelerating. Usually somewhere between 4th and 5th at about 95 mph.
In all conditions it knows that I have stopped accelerating and immediately shifts up to a comfortable gear.
If you are using the paddle shifters in Sport mode then the car will stay in the last gear you have chosen until you either shift again or disengage paddle mode.
I have found the 10 speed to be very responsive and loads of fun to drive. I generally only use the paddles if I purposely want to hold the car in a lower gear (3rd or 4th) for more spirited driving.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
My '19 GT Convertible now has almost 5000 miles of transmission training under its wheels. I drive almost exclusively in the "S" Sport mode. At low throttle the car goes through the gears quickly up until I let off the throttle, usually about 5th gear, then it will settle in and pick a gear for sustained speed.
If I give it half to 3/4 throttle the transmission holds shits to about 5500 rpm and shifts up until I back off the throttle. When I back off the throttle it usually makes one more shift and then settles into an appropriate gear for my speed. It does not hang in gear up to redline and I don't have to force a shift.
If I give the car full throttle it will hold to redline until I back off then makes one last upshift and stop accelerating. Usually somewhere between 4th and 5th at about 95 mph.
In all conditions it knows that I have stopped accelerating and immediately shifts up to a comfortable gear.
If you are using the paddle shifters in Sport mode then the car will stay in the last gear you have chosen until you either shift again or disengage paddle mode.
I have found the 10 speed to be very responsive and loads of fun to drive. I generally only use the paddles if I purposely want to hold the car in a lower gear (3rd or 4th) for more spirited driving.[/
I think mine behaves a bit differently. I do not normally use paddles, but in cases where you want to let off throttle, say after accelerating WOT to 60, it will not come out of whatever lowest gear it is using without the paddles. Or moving the drive selector to D, and back again. Even then, there is a delay in upshifting.

velocityblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Convertible, 2002 Toyota Avalon, 1986 Suzuki Samuri
I think mine behaves a bit differently. I do not normally use paddles, but in cases where you want to let off throttle, say after accelerating WOT to 60, it will not come out of whatever lowest gear it is using without the paddles. Or moving the drive selector to D, and back again. Even then, there is a delay in upshifting.
Interesting, wide open to 60 is only about 4 seconds and probably just shifting to 3rd. It is true that if you back off that soon it may take the computer a moment to figure out what you are doing. How many miles do you have on the car? It may not have enough time to learn your driving style. When I accelerate hard I generally get to somewhere in 4th at about 95,when I take my foot off the car will shift to 5th and settle down. Otherwise I use less throttle which gives me more control.

Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
Have about 3k miles since the latest tuner flash. Car has 8k total miles
Otherwise, I’m quite happy with the car. Especially the velocity blue. We made a good choice on the color!

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Mine doesn't really hang in the lower gears just using "sport" on the shifter when I go WOT and then back off. It might hold a little longer than normal drive but I don't need to use the paddle to make it upshift.

If I toggle track mode or "sport +" it holds onto lower gears longer after backing off. It also rev matches downshifts and keeps the RPM pretty high if I am braking.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
ok, I’ll investigate the nuances and report back here. Possibly I’ll start a new thread topic.

I do enjoy the rev matched braking downshifts. It will do it in S mode, but gets really aggressive in S+ and up.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Lo Pony, do you have version 7 of the tune?

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
Yes, v7 E85 flex
Sponsored