Sponsored

10 speed short shifting from 6th to 7th?

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Hey guys,

No matter what drive mode I'm in, and regardless of whether I'm in manual or auto, my car will not let me rev out to the redline in 6th gear. It'll either short shift or run into a soft limiter at ~6800 rpm around 120mph. For reference, my car is a late 2018 PP1, stock tune and never any mechanical issues but I did need the software update for the A10 about a year ago to fix the jerky downshifting and lurching into drive. I don't think my car short shifted before the update, but I can't remember for sure.

Does anyone else's car do this?

And yes, I know it's not a big deal because I'm hardly ever at those speeds, but it's just a little annoying leaving 700rpm on the table. I paid for all 7500 rpm!
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
My 2018 GT is a Nov 2017 build and does exactly what you are saying. I have never had a transmission reflash/update so I do not think that is whats causing the short shift. I believe this is Ford's stock tuning for some unknown reason :/

OP
OP
ihc95

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
My 2018 GT is a Nov 2017 build and does exactly what you are saying. I have never had a transmission reflash/update so I do not think that is whats causing the short shift. I believe this is Ford's stock tuning for some unknown reason :/
I did a little more research and it looks like we aren't alone with the short shift issue. I have no idea why the factory tune would do this. Oh well, I'm looking at the Ford performance tune or an aftermarket tune now to correct this.

By the way, since you have an early build 2018, I definitely recommend getting the trans update from Ford. I'm not sure if you have the harsh shifting and lunging issues, but the update smoothed mine out a ton.

Tune sorts that out btw...

Trans protection...
Yup. I wanted to keep the powertrain stock and focus on chassis and wheel upgrades, but now I'm considering the FP tune or a Lund tune to fix this.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I did a little more research and it looks like we aren't alone with the short shift issue. I have no idea why the factory tune would do this. Oh well, I'm looking at the Ford performance tune or an aftermarket tune now to correct this.

By the way, since you have an early build 2018, I definitely recommend getting the trans update from Ford. I'm not sure if you have the harsh shifting and lunging issues, but the update smoothed mine out a ton.

Yup. I wanted to keep the powertrain stock and focus on chassis and wheel upgrades, but now I'm considering the FP tune or a Lund tune to fix this.
I have not had the update and yes, I have a really hard/harsh upshift from 4-5. Almost feels as if the trans will fall out at times haha. Downshifting from 4-3 is harsh and makes a thunk sound and bucks the car as if I hit something. Hopefully the update from Ford will fix this to some degree.
Sponsored