Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Hey everyone we updated the 10-speed tune to use all the gears instead of skipping around. Here is a video that explains a little more and if anyone has any questions or is interested in the tune just message me or call me my name is Jake 313-561-5500. Thanks everyone
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
FYI here is Ford's explanation from the shop manual for the skip shifting that some people don't like.

Upshift Gear Sequence

At times the 10-speed transmission may skip gears when the vehicle starts from a complete stop. This is normal and desired behavior .

At part pedal when acceleration is brisk, single step upshifts would result in very frequent shift events (very short time in gear). Double step upshifts results when a longer time is spent in gear.

However, at light pedal or road load, single step upshifts will occur. The small 10-speed gear steps allow the engine speed to drop to lower values than it would in the 6-speed transmission; providing for the best fuel economy. In contrast, when the 10-speed transmission is at heavy or max pedal, the small steps keep the engine closer to the horsepower peak for best performance.

Down shift Gear Sequence

At times the 10-speed transmission may skip gears when the vehicle down shifts to a complete stop. This is normal and desired behavior .

The same skip shift strategy that is used for the upshift may be applied during down shift.​

OP
OP
Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
You are correct but some people don't like the skip shift. That is why in the video it must be requested unless there is a high demand for it. Then we would include in normal tune. Strictly personal preference but we want everyone to know we can make the tune happen for you. Thanks again

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Why wouldn’t you want it to skip gears? The gear skips are for efficiency and to get you to the power band faster, especially when downshifting. :question:

Sponsored

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
So, based on the thread title, is the implication that the 10A shifts incorrectly with the factory tune?

I have the 10A in my F-150, and my opinion is that it shifts perfectly fine, skip shifts and all.

But as they say, to each their own.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
The way I see it, why bother making a 10 speed trans if your going to skip gears anyway. You could have just stayed with the simpler, lighter, 6 speed. By going to the 10 speed ford just increased complexity and cost.

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
The idea behind the 10 speed is to always be able to stay in the center of the power band when it is needed. As you increase the number of forward gears in the transmission you essentially get closer and closer to having a CVT. The engine runs more efficiently and you get more of the “meat” of the torque curve.

Also, there are now more over drive gears, 3 (I think) instead of 1, which means you can cruise at 85 mph in an even lower rpm range in the 10 speed than you could on the 6 speed.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I understand all that, but if your going to skip gears anyway, your just defeating the purpose of the 10 speed. By skipping gears 2 and 4 you have essentially created an 8 speed. Sometimes I think ford introduces new technology just to have an excuse to raise prices even more than the typical yearly increase.

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
If you drive in S or S+ it will go through all the gears.
I understand all that, but if your going to skip gears anyway, your just defeating the purpose of the 10 speed. By skipping gears 2 and 4 you have essentially created an 8 speed. Sometimes I think ford introduces new technology just to have an excuse to raise prices even more than the typical yearly increase.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
True, but the thread was about the out of the box configuration in auto. If ford is going to offer a 10 speed trans, it should have all 10 gears available at all times in auto, not just under certain conditions. In normal mode the 10 speed skip shifts, thus defeating the purpose of having a 10 speed.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
True, but the thread was about the out of the box configuration in auto. If ford is going to offer a 10 speed trans, it should have all 10 gears available at all times in auto, not just under certain conditions. In normal mode the 10 speed skip shifts, thus defeating the purpose of having a 10 speed.

I dont think you understand transmissions or 10 speed shift patterns either.

LOL

RenegadeRedneck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
The 10R80 only skips under part throttle on the upshift. Under wot it hits every gear. On down shifts it will do 10->7 under half throttle and 10->4 under wot.

If you get wheel spin it will skip up instead of applying brakes or cutting timing.

The only way a tune to hit every gear in D all the time would be beneficial is if someone wants some of the characteristics of S but without the harder shifts, locked out OD and hanging in a gear forever when it expects you to accelerate or brake.

It's a very Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde transmission. It does need a third mode but I wouldn't give up the buttery smooth shifts for a daily to get D closer to S.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Couldn’t this change be made via Forscan?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Ah man, I came in here hoping the answer would have been a 6-speed manual transmission. What a let down! :dance:
Sponsored