Sponsored

Shifter in S vs shifter in D and toggle to S+ (EcoBoost 10 speed)

Gizmobiker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost
In D (Drive) my EcoBoost Mustang shifts normally through all 10 speeds as any car so equipped.

If I shift from D (Drive) to S (Sport) ……I believe the gears will stay in whatever gear you paddle shift too. If you accelerate to the red zone, the ignition will shut down for a period of time to not cause damage to your vehicle.

If my shifter is in D (Drive) and I toggle to S+ (Sport plus) even if I use the paddles, the transmission will shift without red lining. If I choose to not manually use the paddles, after a period of time, the transmission shifts automatically up and down through the range of gears.

Anytime I hold the + (Plus) paddle for a few seconds, the transmission goes back to totally automatic operation.

Comments?
Sponsored

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT/CS
I've learned that if you put the shifter in 'S' the car will shift automatically (but a lot more aggressively) only until you shift with a paddle. Once you grab a paddle, it will not return to auto shifting until you move the shifter back to 'D.' I never red-line my engine so I can't comment about that. Hope this helps a little.

OP
OP
Gizmobiker

Gizmobiker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost
Are you describing the operation of a 10 speed Mustang transmission, or your 2018 Hybrid?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Try reading the manual. And you can long pull on the right paddle to restore a measure of auto shifting.

This is how it works. What is your question?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
In D (Drive) my EcoBoost Mustang shifts normally through all 10 speeds as any car so equipped.

If I shift from D (Drive) to S (Sport) ……I believe the gears will stay in whatever gear you paddle shift too. If you accelerate to the red zone, the ignition will shut down for a period of time to not cause damage to your vehicle.

If my shifter is in D (Drive) and I toggle to S+ (Sport plus) even if I use the paddles, the transmission will shift without red lining. If I choose to not manually use the paddles, after a period of time, the transmission shifts automatically up and down through the range of gears.

Anytime I hold the + (Plus) paddle for a few seconds, the transmission goes back to totally automatic operation.

Comments?
So this is an excerpt from the main 10R80 FAQ thread, which will help anyone who is new to the 10R80 understand it and it's functions.
For 10R80 Newbies, all you need to know:
The design and workings of a 10R80:
https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/need-10-speeds/

SAE International Automotive Engineering article; go to page 10 about the 10R80:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/sae_16autd07-pdf.349718/

10R80 Internal Tech:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/10r80-internal-technical-info.141611/

10R80 Trans Modes vs Drive Modes + Paddle Shift facts:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/drive-modes-the-a10.141350/#post-2896682
Pay close attention to the last link above and read all (3) pages. It has every bit of info to learn about the Transmission Mode vs Drive Modes and the tech about paddle shifting relationships.

This is the main 10R80 thread with a TON of informative info and links starting on Post 1, Page 1.

Everything is broken out into sections and there's a lot of info, plus included PDF docs too.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...h-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/#post-2787479

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods

Comments?
Your post describes normal operation.

The shifter position is for the trans and overrides the toggle.

In D it starts in auto mode and goes to "temporary" manual mode upon hitting a paddle. After 4 seconds it reverts to auto. For example if you are driving on the highway and want to pass you can downshift a few gears with the paddle, pass, and the trans will revert to auto by itself, and use its usual mellow shift points.

S has more aggressive shift points but still starts out in auto. Goes to manual upon hitting a paddle and stays there, but you can hold down the plus paddle to get it back to auto.

I use D all the time for around town driving. I don't drive sporty until I go on track when I use S.

Last edited: