Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
is this still an issue with the 3rd gen mustangs? Im getting a decent bit of vibration around 50mph. doesnt seem like i get any before or after that.

going to check and see if my tires are balanced properly later..but i dont think thats the issue.
Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
is this still an issue with the 3rd gen mustangs? Im getting a decent bit of vibration around 50mph. doesnt seem like i get any before or after that.

going to check and see if my tires are balanced properly later..but i dont think thats the issue.

Buried in this thread somewhere , there is a post showing the 2018+ did have design changes to prevent the issue..... I don't think I have heard of any/many 2018+ having vibration problems.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Almost 3700 posts in this thread must be a regular issue. For the record my stock 2016 gt driveshaft never vibrated. When i bought my Aluminum ds it did but i flipped it 180 degrees and added 1/4 inch spacers to my crossmember and that did the trick..

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
I don't have really any vibration until after 80 mph. could it still be the Drive Shaft.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
I don't have really any vibration until after 80 mph. could it still be the Drive Shaft.

Could it be ? yes .... Is it ? probably not

Mine was about a 5MPH window from 50-55 .

If yours isn't a window , could be bend wheel , unbalanced wheel , ect...
If it's doing it after 8- only, then it's not the issue discussed in this thread at least.

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Could it be ? yes .... Is it ? probably not

Mine was about a 5MPH window from 50-55 .

If yours isn't a window , could be bend wheel , unbalanced wheel , ect...
If it's doing it after 8- only, then it's not the issue discussed in this thread at least.
I thought it may be a wheel..but i swapped my wheels and i still have the same issue.

Seems to happen mostly around 40-50mph ish..but also maybe around anytime it is about to shift (10r80)

I had to slightly flatten the dust cover on the front wheel bearings to get my center caps to fit..could that have damaged anything?

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Where are you gen 3 feeling the vibration at? I have it at 50-60mph but it's just the steering wheel. Re-balanced tires and didn't fix it. I don't know if I should keep picking at it.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Where are you gen 3 feeling the vibration at? I have it at 50-60mph but it's just the steering wheel. Re-balanced tires and didn't fix it. I don't know if I should keep picking at it.
It might sound weird, but i mostly feel it in my feet.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
It might sound weird, but i mostly feel it in my feet.
2018 GT and the steering wheel vibration started around 1100 miles. I have 37,000 miles and the vibration is there and has not become better or worse. I had wheels balanced many times (road force), and of course rotated tires as well but the vibration remains. Its as if there is a sharp grinding vibration feel in the steering wheel and I can feel it in the floor as I place my feet on the pedals. The rear view mirror becomes fuzzy as well.

The vibration starts at 50mph and the intensity changes as the speed gets higher. Around 70mph its there but the frequency is higher so its hard to tell if its the road or the car. However, since I have had the car since I got it brand-new, I know the ride should be smoother on the highway but unfortunately, this vibration feel is unsettling. I will take it to my local shop next month and see what they have to say.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Your issue sounds like wheel and/or tire run-out, or a tire with a messed up side wall. Had that issue on a different car of mine, and they were balanced perfectly, but found one of the front tires had too much radial run-out. Tire shop replaced the tire and it was super smooth after that.

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
2018 GT and the steering wheel vibration started around 1100 miles. I have 37,000 miles and the vibration is there and has not become better or worse. I had wheels balanced many times (road force), and of course rotated tires as well but the vibration remains. Its as if there is a sharp grinding vibration feel in the steering wheel and I can feel it in the floor as I place my feet on the pedals. The rear view mirror becomes fuzzy as well.

The vibration starts at 50mph and the intensity changes as the speed gets higher. Around 70mph its there but the frequency is higher so its hard to tell if its the road or the car. However, since I have had the car since I got it brand-new, I know the ride should be smoother on the highway but unfortunately, this vibration feel is unsettling. I will take it to my local shop next month and see what they have to say.
Id be interested to hear what they say to you!

Im going to check some things tonight, (exhaust, motor mounts, etc) to make sure nothing is loose. Im also going to be changing a lot suspension wise soon as well so if any of those parts are the culprit ill know as well.

Hoping it's something simple.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I have r888r tires. Not cheap.

Turned out to be my exhaust hitting my rear swaybar. I fixed it and all good now

adamau5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550 ingot silver
My new bullitt (20) had the vibration. My local fordtore (nottingham - UK) read this thread and very quickly tried a couple of the suggestions, but then went to a new drive shaft. The new drive shaft fixed it instantly.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
UPDATE:

I commented on this thread in the beginning of 2018 when my 2018 GT starting to have this vibration issue. I could feel it in the foot well, steering wheel and it would vibrate my rear view mirror. The car had 1100 miles on it (I bought it brand new) at the time. The vibration would start right at 50MPH (it could have been there at lower speeds but I could not feel it) and would stay well into triple digit speeds, changing intensity as speed increased or decreased. I had a reputable shop and tech road force balance and align the car and check the rims for damage but the condition did not improve much. Keep in mind the OEM tires 265/35-20 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric AS tires were smooth as anything for the first 1100 miles and the car did not hit any potholes and was never driven on a rough road. However, something must have happened which caused some sort of damage to a tire or tires because at 38,000 miles they were worn and replaced with 275/35-20 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the vibration I dealt with for 3 years was gone! All this time I kept thinking to replace the driveshaft because where else could this vibration be from if the tires and rims checked out fine?

I am relieved to have this resolved because the last thing I wanted to do is take my car to the dealer and have them say they do not find an issue. It would have left me frustrated and feeling helpless. I am able to enjoy my car again because all this time I would drive the car and cruising on the highway was no fun with constant vibration felt throughout the chassis.

Anyway, just wanted to put this out there if you are experiencing this in your Mustang. Swap out tires and rims to eliminate that variable before jumping into replacing your driveshaft or any other drivetrain component.
Sponsored

Last edited: