Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Dealer called today and said that the car is within acceptable NVH limits. Which means that they don't know what else to do. I guess I'll have to lemon law it because I'm not going to drive/pay for it for 5 years like this.
Ask them for the vibration analyzer reading and post them here. There are predefined limits for each type of device; readings below the limit are barely perceivable to human beings. Therefore, if they measured the vibration with a vibration analyzer and the readings were within the normal limits for G forces, then there is nothing wrong with your particular vehicle. Lemon law will not help you if the vehicle is in fact operating within the normal limits.
Sponsored

5.0 Probie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Small update...

Several different types of driving conditions and type (Grandma to closed course) 518 miles into the rear diff rebuild...

1. ) The vibration we had, or at least the severity of said vibration, is all but gone.
2. ) We still have a vibration from 58mph to 72mph but you have to look for it (If you know what I mean).
3. ) There is definitely a vibration that is consistent from about 56 to 64MPH. And changes with the throttle (Torque to no torque) as far as how the vibration feels. Almost like music hitting a different note. Only time and miles will tell if this becomes worse like it did last time.
4. ) The drumming sound from the vibration we once had, is 100% gone.
5. ) My feet feel 0% of the vibration we once had. For me this is HUGE as feet that feel vibration is mechanical. No matter what a "Technician" wants to claim. Now it is more in the butt and hands. This tells me "Normal" vibrations from tires and mechanical stresses we should feel for this type of car.
6. ) The "Clunk/clang" sound from the drive-line is all but gone.

There you have it so far...

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Small update...

Several different types of driving conditions and type (Grandma to closed course) 518 miles into the rear diff rebuild...

1. ) The vibration we had, or at least the severity of said vibration, is all but gone.
2. ) We still have a vibration from 58mph to 72mph but you have to look for it (If you know what I mean).
3. ) There is definitely a vibration that is consistent from about 56 to 64MPH. And changes with the throttle (Torque to no torque) as far as how the vibration feels. Almost like music hitting a different note. Only time and miles will tell if this becomes worse like it did last time.
4. ) The drumming sound from the vibration we once had, is 100% gone.
5. ) My feet feel 0% of the vibration we once had. For me this is HUGE as feet that feel vibration is mechanical. No matter what a "Technician" wants to claim. Now it is more in the butt and hands. This tells me "Normal" vibrations from tires and mechanical stresses we should feel for this type of car.
6. ) The "Clunk/clang" sound from the drive-line is all but gone.

There you have it so far...
Glad to hear they got it resolved for you!! :cheers:

Your post is a perfect example of why there is no "TSB" as a lot of people in here continue to demand. Obviously, not everyone has the same issue.

For example, mustang888 clocked/indexed his driveshaft in order to minimize/eliminate the vibration that he had isolated to the driveline.

In your case, 5.0 Probie, your dealer rebuilt the rear differential in order to resolve the noise.

Other people have posted in here that their driveshaft was replaced, which in some cases resolved their concern and in other cases didn't.

As far as speedfrk, he had an engineer look at his car and they determined it was normal. Seeing as other people in here have had engineers look at their cars and determine that the vibration was not normal, he may have a different concern as well. Still waiting to hear back from him regarding whether they used the vibration analyzer and provided any readings.

A TSB wouldn't help, because without a single causal component, it could only tell the dealer to do what is already published in the shop manual - use the vibration analyzer, obtain readings, and then narrow down the cause using the information provided in the diagnostics.

For those that have a vibration concern that they are confident is not normal, don't settle for the opinion of a service writer. Instead, ask to have it measured with the appropriate tool; if the dealer doesn't have it, try and find a dealer that does.

5.0 Probie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT

In your case, 5.0 Probie, your dealer rebuilt the rear differential in order to resolve the noise.
Thank you for your thoughts/opinion. However you're not correct in my case. I never once said anything to my dealer about sound. Only how the car was vibrating. My mentioning the sounds was meant to help those that hear it and feel it.

In fact, the "Donor" car they originally intended to pull the rearend off of and swap into mine, had the exact same vibration. So they had to dig deeper.

Only because the tech that helped me, had personally experienced this same issue on his car. He had to work through Ford's "Do not listen to the client, they are idiots" way of operating until he could finally get them to change the gears.

Once they did, let the metal grey filled gear oil pour out of the diff. What do you know! A client "Actually" knew what he was talking about.

Only now I am pissed with how I was treated by Ford and am strongly considering to not ever buy from them again. This is NOT how you should treat any client. In fact, it is not how you should EVER treat a client whom has purchased 16 vehicles from you and may easily double that number eventually.

Last edited:

izo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Oxford White
My problem is a little bit different. The vibration started around 14.000 miles.
Last time I had serviced the car, they had identified that one of the rear tires had worn out more than the other ones. But, I had no vibration issue then. This started last week, the symptoms are similar: vibration starting around 70mph.

Could it be a bent driveshaft or the tire just got worse?

Sponsored

5.0 Probie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
My problem is a little bit different. The vibration started around 14.000 miles.
Last time I had serviced the car, they had identified that one of the rear tires had worn out more than the other ones. But, I had no vibration issue then. This started last week, the symptoms are similar: vibration starting around 70mph.

Could it be a bent driveshaft or the tire just got worse?
I always start with the "Easier to test" items first. Wheel/tire balance being one of them.

Only way to know is to start the process of elimination...

Reactions: izo

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier

Your post is a perfect example of why there is no "TSB" as a lot of people in here continue to demand. Obviously, not everyone has the same issue.

For example, mustang888 clocked/indexed his driveshaft in order to minimize/eliminate the vibration that he had isolated to the driveline.

Other people have posted in here that their driveshaft was replaced, which in some cases resolved their concern and in other cases didn't.

As far as speedfrk, he had an engineer look at his car and they determined it was normal. Seeing as other people in here have had engineers look at their cars and determine that the vibration was not normal, he may have a different concern as well. Still waiting to hear back from him regarding whether they used the vibration analyzer and provided any readings.

A TSB wouldn't help, because without a single causal component, it could only tell the dealer to do what is already published in the shop manual - use the vibration analyzer, obtain readings, and then narrow down the cause using the information provided in the diagnostics.

For those that have a vibration concern that they are confident is not normal, don't settle for the opinion of a service writer. Instead, ask to have it measured with the appropriate tool; if the dealer doesn't have it, try and find a dealer that does.
I don't know if the FSE used the vib equipment. The service writer called me and said he drove it and said it was within NVH specs. Don't know what that means but I will ask when I pick it up. The problem for me is that the car was perfectly smooth when he finished with it the last time and now the vibration has definitely returned. There is no problem feeling it, and just because Ford says it is within spec doesn't mean it isn't a defect or problem. Since mine came back after several thousand miles, I suspect it is a problem. The lemon law arbitrator will decide that. It cost me nothing to file it through the BBB so I'll go that route.

The car also has the clunk/clang going between rev/neu/drive. On my car it actually sounds like it is coming from the rear not the trans flange like most people complain of. Haven't gotten an answer on what that is either but they should tell me something tomorrow. I think one of the main problems is that most dealerships apparently don't have the vib equipment. My dealer doesn't and they are a big dealer. They shoot in the dark and call in the FSE when they can't figure it out. Doesn't seem like an efficient way to solve these kind of problems. If Ford did release a TSB, I'm sure it would start out "attach vibration measuring equipment"- which most dealers don't have or aren't properly trained to use.

Norseman71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Performance Pack - Convertible
Update

New drive shaft going in today

Waited 2 months for parts, then when I took it in "you will have to leave it we are putting in a new drive shaft - that's the easiest, if that doesn't work it's a new differential"

From this I get they are still guessing and my issue may not be solved - good news is my vibration is mild - only notice under heavy load and smooth roads (which are virtually non-existent in Toronto)

As long as it does not get worse. - if it stays the same may get the normal operation yada yada.

We will see - I will report with printout of work done and outcome for everyone's reference.

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
New drive shaft going in today

Waited 2 months for parts, then when I took it in "you will have to leave it we are putting in a new drive shaft - that's the easiest, if that doesn't work it's a new differential"

From this I get they are still guessing and my issue may not be solved - good news is my vibration is mild - only notice under heavy load and smooth roads (which are virtually non-existent in Toronto)

As long as it does not get worse. - if it stays the same may get the normal operation yada yada.

We will see - I will report with printout of work done and outcome for everyone's reference.
Glad to hear work is being done on your car to fix the problem, but it's disturbing that after 1 1/2 years of this thread being active, we still have a dealership going down the "we'll try this and if it doesn't work, we'll try that" road to remedy the problem.

It would suggest Ford has no idea of what is going on or that this could be a design and/or QC problem working working at the same time complicating the diagnosis.

Wouldn't you think Ford engineering could have brought in house a few offending cars and started working their way through the symptoms to find a proper proper solution by this late date?
Without a current solution, they are mostly likely still building cars with this issue on a daily basis, adding to the list of potentially expensive warranty and/or lemon law claims.

pullingeez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Track Pack /2016 GT Premium
2016 GT Premium 300 miles Auto trans 3:55 axle and 20" painted Foundry with PZero's it is very very very load at 50-85+ it's almost like a 80-100 ha sine wave is playing through car... WTF

Sponsored

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
2016 GT Premium 300 miles Auto trans 3:55 axle and 20" painted Foundry with PZero's it is very very very load at 50-85+ it's almost like a 80-100 ha sine wave is playing through car... WTF
It should subside after 70. Mine did not at first but did after putting in a new driveshaft. I am the one that posted the video of the shaft visibly wobbling at the center support. It was horrible before, better now, but not for a new car. Heck not for any car. Owned a few old fords that were smooth as silk. Including a Lincoln with IRS (Mark VIII) so it's not right. Take it in... Yours is really bad if it does not go away after 70mph.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Got my car back today- they said it was within NVH specs and they wouldn't do anything unless it got worse. It's not as bad as originally, but it's pretty irritating and I can't see myself driving it like this for 4-5 years. BBB already sent me the forms so I guess I'll get busy filling them out...

izo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Oxford White
Update on my situation. It turned out that I drove the car w/o proper alignment for 1000 miles and the rear right tire got destroyed. I got 2 brand new tires and the vibration is gone.

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Vert
I know most people are trying to get a factory warranty resolution, but curious has anyone tried an aftermarket aluminum one-piece replacement driveshaft to fix the issue? I was looking yesterday and found a couple places that sell them for as low as $600. Might be worth it for someone to try if the factory parts aren't working.

JMKS550

JMKS550
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 300A GT automatic
I brought my 16' GT Auto home three weeks ago. Definitely noticed a driveline vibration starting around 50 mph. The car has 1200 miles and I'm hoping but not expecting an easy fix after reading a bunch of the posts here.
The car is going to the dealer on Monday.
Sponsored