Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

bigperm2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 mustang conv.
Add me to the list.

I have a GTPP w/ 3000 miles. I have scheduled an oil change at my dealer and am having them check out the vibrations along with a couple other things. I am pretty sure the vibrations were not as bad when I first got the car. It isn't to the "unbearable" point that others have mentioned. However, its not acceptable for a new car... Time to nip it in the bud. Ill let you know what they say!
Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150
So the runaround begins... After they replaced the DS, and I went back and told them it didn't fix it (which they should have known without me testing it for them), the service manager made an appt for me to bring it back a week later. Brought it back for the appt yesterday and stopped by this afternoon to check on it and they hadn't even looked at it. Why make appts a week in advance if you aren't even going to look at it for 2 days. The lack of concern for my time, traveling back and forth, getting rental cars, etc is disturbing. Are there no good dealers anymore?

OP
OP
icarumba

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
Nope.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Well the buyback has begun on my wife's car. They don't seem that they are fighting it since this car has had the vibration from day 1. Learned my lesson about not test driving the actual car you are buying. It was a showroom car and they didn't want to take it off the show room so we drove another EB that they had on the lot. That car didn't have the vibration.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150
Well the buyback has begun on my wife's car. They don't seem that they are fighting it since this car has had the vibration from day 1. Learned my lesson about not test driving the actual car you are buying. It was a showroom car and they didn't want to take it off the show room so we drove another EB that they had on the lot. That car didn't have the vibration.
By not fighting, do you mean they are offering to buy it back or are they still making you go through the lemon law procedure?

The service adviser called me this morning and said they had checked for the excess glue on the DS and rotated it 180deg without success. She said they will call Ford and ask for guidance on where to go from here.

I'm somewhat afraid of the car now, but I also want them to fix it since I can't duplicate the discounts and rebate plus the 0% financing they had on that Labor Day sale.

Sponsored

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
By not fighting, do you mean they are offering to buy it back or are they still making you go through the lemon law procedure?

The service adviser called me this morning and said they had checked for the excess glue on the DS and rotated it 180deg without success. She said they will call Ford and ask for guidance on where to go from here.

I'm somewhat afraid of the car now, but I also want them to fix it since I can't duplicate the discounts and rebate plus the 0% financing they had on that Labor Day sale.
No fighting at all. They acknowledge there is an issue and are going to buy back the car at the same price we paid for it. There is typically a useage fee that they hit you with but my wife's car had literally 5 miles on it the first time we took it in.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150
Just picked up the car from the dealer again... Field service engineer looked at it and said that the new DS is also out of spec- .035 run out at the back of the DS. He said .024 is the spec and they typically see them in the .015 range. Sooo, they ordered another DS which won't be here until next wed. I've undoubtedly wasted an entire days worth of time and at least a tank of gas with the back and forth to the dealer and rental car place.

5 O UFO

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
Is OldFordGuy still the only person that had the vibration that replaced his 2PC drive shaft with a one piece from DSS and cured the problem?

I have been watching this thread for a while now and am just curious if that is worth a try.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150
Is OldFordGuy still the only person that had the vibration that replaced his 2PC drive shaft with a one piece from DSS and cured the problem?

I have been watching this thread for a while now and am just curious if that is worth a try.
I would make sure that they have actually measured the run out on your DS. The dealer never did that on mine- they just started throwing parts at it hoping that something would fix it. The next DS should be here tomorrow, so I'll know pretty soon if that fixes it. The key is if they actually measure the run out as being in spec and it still has the vibration. Or, if they measure it as being in spec when they first replace it and then the vibration returns and it measures out of spec later. I wonder who makes these DS for Ford?

OP
OP
icarumba

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car

FWIW:

I read on another forum that the OEM DS is a two-piece for safety reasons. It is supposedly to allow the engine/trans to deflect downward in a severe frontal collision; something a one-piece DS may inhibit.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it makes sense. I always wondered why Ford would use a two-piece DS when a one-piece would work; the safety angle answers that question to my satisfaction.

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150
FWIW:

I read on another forum that the OEM DS is a two-piece for safety reasons. It is supposedly to allow the engine/trans to deflect downward in a severe frontal collision; something a one-piece DS may inhibit.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it makes sense. I always wondered why Ford would use a two-piece DS when a one-piece would work; the safety angle answers that question to my satisfaction.
Could be... Jaguar has been using split DS since the 60's. My 73 XJ12 had a 2 piece DS very similar to the Mustang and it was electric motor smooth. If done right, they are much smoother and the center carrier bearing acts as a damper. But they still need to be straight to work right, lol.

OP
OP
icarumba

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
I would not be surprised to look under my car and discover that they whittled my drive shafts out of an old log...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

embraceentropy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I developed a slight vibration while accelerating through 50mph. It is fades in and out quickly as you pass 50, but its still there. I had to take my car into the dealer to fix a few issues I identified at delivery, so I am having them take a look at it.

billq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 V6 Auto 051 Package
No fighting at all. They acknowledge there is an issue and are going to buy back the car at the same price we paid for it. There is typically a useage fee that they hit you with but my wife's car had literally 5 miles on it the first time we took it in.
I've still got the vibration. Ford Canada engineering came on the 2nd & drove the car, felt the vibration [really? it's been 5 months now], they are going to discuss with Dearborn office during a regularly scheduled get together this week. Outcome, who knows?
Are you dealing directly with Ford? Is the dealership involved? When are you expecting the process to begin or end?

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
I've still got the vibration. Ford Canada engineering came on the 2nd & drove the car, felt the vibration [really? it's been 5 months now], they are going to discuss with Dearborn office during a regularly scheduled get together this week. Outcome, who knows?
Are you dealing directly with Ford? Is the dealership involved? When are you expecting the process to begin or end?
Well I am working directly with Ford but my dealership was the one that suggested I get the process started and gave me contact information for somebody at Ford in the buyback department because they don't know what is wrong with the car and don't know how to fix it. They keep throwing parts at it but nothing has worked. We bought the car back in July and my wife has driven the car for a total of about 3 weeks since then. They have literally had the car the entire time. This is also the second time we have gone through this process in the last year. We had a Dodge Dart for a while that the infotainment system kept dying and Dodge could not figure out why so they bought that back from us. We thought no more Dodge, lets look at Fords and my wife fell in love with the Mustang and now this again. She is sick of cars and companies that make them.
Sponsored

Last edited: