Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
Could be... Jaguar has been using split DS since the 60's. My 73 XJ12 had a 2 piece DS very similar to the Mustang and it was electric motor smooth. If done right, they are much smoother and the center carrier bearing acts as a damper. But they still need to be straight to work right, lol.
While I don't know, but i don't think its safety . My old 85 X4ti had 2 piece DS to and that had independent rear suspension . I think they do it so the angle with the now fixed pinion stays flat . Where before the rear would be up and down depending on spring compression .

Here quick Google search
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/0608rc-driveshaft-tech/
Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Well I am working directly with Ford but my dealership was the one that suggested I get the process started and gave me contact information for somebody at Ford in the buyback department because they don't know what is wrong with the car and don't know how to fix it. They keep throwing parts at it but nothing has worked. We bought the car back in July and my wife has driven the car for a total of about 3 weeks since then. They have literally had the car the entire time. This is also the second time we have gone through this process in the last year. We had a Dodge Dart for a while that the infotainment system kept dying and Dodge could not figure out why so they bought that back from us. We thought no more Dodge, lets look at Fords and my wife fell in love with the Mustang and now this again. She is sick of cars and companies that make them.
Yeah, I'm your wife at this point... wish I had kept my 80K mile Honda and driven it another 80K with no problems. Go buy an Accord Coupe if you want a reliable, comfortable, sporty-ish car. I'm not a fan of their CVT's but their manuals are about the best made.

billq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 V6 Auto 051 Package
Well I am working directly with Ford but my dealership was the one that suggested I get the process started and gave me contact information for somebody at Ford in the buyback department because they don't know what is wrong with the car and don't know how to fix it. They keep throwing parts at it but nothing has worked. We bought the car back in July and my wife has driven the car for a total of about 3 weeks since then. They have literally had the car the entire time.
Ok, thanks. If nothing from Ford by next Monday, I'm gonna start the buyback process.

5 O UFO

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
You may want to look at the pic on post # 118 the paint marks are yellow. And that was a great Driveline vibration article,Thanks
Well, I finally took initiative and had the car put up on a lift. Look at what we found:

After reindexing the shaft at the rear flange and aligning the yellow marks, vibration is completely gone!!!

I finally enjoy driving the car like I did when first purchased it.

Thanks 888mustang and all others who suggested this! :cheers:

Last edited:

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
What's scary about this is the range of solutions from none to a simple re-index.

Sponsored

5 O UFO

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
What's scary about this is the range of solutions from none to a simple re-index.
Certainly appears that there is more than one cause of driveline vibration in the S550.

Re-index drive shaft
Defective drive shaft replacement
Rear differential replacement
Half shaft replacement (thanks 69mach1)

Does anyone know if there are any 2016's affected or is it limited to 2015?

Last edited:

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Certainly appears that there is more than one cause of driveline vibration in the S550.

Re-index drive shaft
Defective drive shaft
Rear differential replacement

Does anyone know if there are any 2016's affected or is it limited to 2015?
Add half shafts to that list, right?

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Add half shafts to that list, right?
Not really- they can cause vibration, but they are only turning at about 1/3rd the speed of the DS- really the same speed as the wheels. So it would feel like an out of balance wheel and not the higher frequency of the DS vibration.
That's one of the problems with this whole mess- the dealers are apparently so ignorant of how to diagnose a vibration problem that they just throw parts at it hoping something fixes it.
When they put my second new DS in, I'm going to insist they measure the run out and record it so there is at least some data going forward to compare with waht they measured last time. Heck with the cheap technology we have now, Ford could install 6 accelerometers in every car and they would have all the data they need to diagnose a vibration problem and predict future failures based on increased vibration levels.

OP
OP
icarumba

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
Well, I finally took initiative and had the car put up on a lift. Look at what we found:

picture.jpg

I have no words.

So...lining up dots requires an such an advanced level of problem solving ability that Ford cannot find enough people to carry out such a task??

Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
I have no words. So...lining up dots requires an such an advanced level of problem solving ability that Ford cannot find enough people to carry out such a task??
This after your car being in multiple times for this issue. About how many times has your drive line been removed and or replaced by a Ford dealer.

I have not had any vibration issues on my V6, but you better believe when it was on a lift for exhaust, I check the yellow marks and they were aligned.

Of topic...
Have you seen the thread on the convertible rear window supports popping out and just hanging down? I had no idea of these supports until I saw the thread. Yep, both mine were disconnected. THAT was why the rear window flopped around so much when windows were open (top closed).
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23687
IIRC, post #26 is where I outlined the 'how to fix'.

OP
OP
icarumba

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
Hey Dave! Long time no see! Yes, I saw that thread, and that will be another item on the inspection checklist when my 16 comes in. I haven't checked my current car yet, but I'm sure I will find them disconnected too.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
icarumba

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
Good idea!

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Hey Dave! Long time no see! Yes, I saw that thread, and that will be another item on the inspection checklist when my 16 comes in. I haven't checked my current car yet, but I'm sure I will find them disconnected too.
Are you confident that there is a fine enough toothed comb to use going over you 2016 to catch everything? ;) Was the only differnce to your 16 adding 051A and lower ratio rear end? Does the 2016 V6 get 'allowed' any better options?
Best of luck my friend on your '16's inspection.

For me after reading all the issues, especially body panel alignment, when mine arrived in March '15, the salesman looked surprised when I had my checklist and took 2 hours checking everything out. I had to decide ahead of time what would warrant fully rejecting the car. But even though my dealer was a 2 hour drive, I was damned sure I was NOT signing for it (and leaving), with the promise that "We'll take care of it"! I was well prepared to leave it for fixes and come back when they had it fixed for reinspection. ;o) I was pretty lucky. I did have them send it to their body shop to fix a good sized hood gap on the driver's side. It was still off some but no way I wanted them removing fenders etc. Luckily body panel alignment being a little off does not 'show' like it does on lighter colored Mustangs. I was at the dealer all day, but was fine with that to get it right (enough).

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

Love the Avatar [MENTION=10887]icarumba[/MENTION] :lol:
Sponsored