Sponsored

V8 potential problems coming? [ADMIN WARNING: *** NO POLITICS ***]

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
We have different opinions on this, the thread is on warning, its best if we let this go.
Surely you can safely answer whether you really own a 2019 Mustang GT and why without saying anything overly political. But if not, that's fine.

It's definitely ok to have different opinions as far as I'm concerned. I have no issue with that. Otherwise there's nothing to discuss. I'm just trying to understand your opinion, because I find it very difficult. Maybe I'm seeing a conflict that really isn't there.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Surely you can safely answer whether you really own a 2019 Mustang GT and why without saying anything overly political. But if not, that's fine.

It's definitely ok to have different opinions as far as I'm concerned. I have no issue with that. Otherwise there's nothing to discuss. I'm just trying to understand your opinion, because I find it very difficult. Maybe I'm seeing a conflict that really isn't there.
Seriously…?

Here’s my old build thread with photos of both cars I’ve had in the past few years.
https://www.focusst.org/threads/the-engineers-st.159448/page-61

Check the date. Check the username.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I think the question is, since you are acting like an EV fan boi and if you love them so much why do you drive a mustang?

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think the question is, since you are acting like an EV fan boi and if you love them so much why do you drive a mustang?
sir I mean this as politely as possible

I can have a mustang GT and like EVs at the same time.

there’s no mutual exclusivity about owning a mustang and liking EVs. It’s not required that I hate EVs to own a mustang.

If you really want to know why I bought one, it’s because I firmly believe that this is one of the last V8 RWD cars. I wanted to experience this kind of car before everything goes electric. The reason why I own this car is because I believe they are done, ford will replace the mustang GT with an EV in 2028 or whenever and then it will be over. It’s a special car, and I wanted to have my turn, that doesn’t mean I’m some EV hater. I like EVs. And I like my car.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I think if people like you who think EVs are great are still buying cars like a 2019 Mustang, the automakers are going to have a lot of trouble with people like me who think EVs are terrible. I would consider buying an EV to replace my 1999 F250 if it could do all the same stuff and was available for about $2k. Otherwise I would wait until the 1999 F250 is worn out, which might be many many years. I only put a few hundred miles per year on it. Right now, it only has about 240,000 miles on it, so it should have a lot of life left.
I think there are plenty of people who want or like EVs but do not buy them. Most EVs are expensive and lack supply. If I had to buy a electric I would like a 2 door coupe electric mustang for the same price I paid for my mustang GT ($4x,000) but that does not exist. Maybe by 2035 it will (adjusted for inflation).

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
I see post #216 as having objectivity. I, too, see EVs as being the future and I think I will like some of them enough someday to potentially buy one (if I am still driving), but that doesn't say I want to buy any of them today.

I suspect the 2035 mandates in certain jurisdictions will have to be revised further into the future when logistics, supply and infrastructure won't be enough to support aggressive policies, but seriously, it is 12 years to 2035 and a lot can happen in that period of time. It really is nothing (in my mind) to get twisted off about.

There are credible industry people out there, and not just oil barons and auto manufacturers, who believe the goals are too ambitious and we will still be registering new ICEs in 2040 and possibly well beyond that date. No reason why not to just let time take its course, policy adjustments will be made when they have to be made, and it will all shake out in the end.

In the meantime, let's just enjoy our V8s while we can still buy them and maintain them. I'd like to think there will be many, many Mustang V8s on the road in 2040 and beyond.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I see post #216 as having objectivity. I, too, see EVs as being the future and I think I will like some of them enough someday to potentially buy one (if I am still driving), but that doesn't say I want to buy any of them today.

I suspect the 2035 mandates in certain jurisdictions will have to be revised further into the future when logistics, supply and infrastructure won't be enough to support aggressive policies, but seriously, it is 12 years to 2035 and a lot can happen in that period of time. It really is nothing (in my mind) to get twisted off about.

There are credible industry people out there, and not just oil barons and auto manufacturers, who believe the goals are too ambitious and we will still be registering new ICEs in 2040 and possibly well beyond that date. No reason why not to just let time take its course, policy adjustments will be made when they have to be made, and it will all shake out in the end.

In the meantime, let's just enjoy our V8s while we can still buy them and maintain them. I'd like to think there will be many, many Mustang V8s on the road in 2040 and beyond.
Hello; There is a kink in that 2035 date. In California the 100% EV sales is in for 2035. However there is a mandated % set for 2026 or 28 of 25%. Then 50%, Then 75% with 100% in 2035. Not actually much time till the first date.

Sponsored

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Policy mandates won't matter if they cannot be met in a specific jurisdiction. While California is a large auto market, what matters more is the overall global market, or at least the North American market. California may find itself with a whole bunch of residents that go elsewhere to buy their vehicles (new or used) if they can't get them in California.

It is my view folks put too much certainty in legislated/regulated dates and data points. I believe California, among others, are setting the bar high to turbo-charge the rate of transition, but if it is not practical to achieve for any number of reasons, policy mandates will change.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
They also backed out on this and now orders are only at MSRP. The internet blasting them took its toll and there's no more ADM. Those Z06 deposit people are probably dancing.

Mac Haik Ford here in Georgetown has some of the most marked up Mustangs around in Central Texas.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
There is a kink in that 2035 date. In California the 100% EV sales is in for 2035. However there is a mandated % set for 2026 or 28 of 25%. Then 50%, Then 75% with 100% in 2035. Not actually much time till the first date.
Thats just 2 years and Cali is already asking EV owners to not charge their cars. Too funny.
It is my view folks put too much certainty in legislated/regulated dates and data points. I believe California, among others, are setting the bar high to turbo-charge the rate of transition, but if it is not practical to achieve for any number of reasons, policy mandates will change.
In my view folks have no idea how business works. If several auto companies are EV only or 90% EV where are these ICE cars going to come from?

Let the market and technology make the transition. Forcing things that are inferior at the time never works.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Policy mandates won't matter if they cannot be met in a specific jurisdiction. While California is a large auto market, what matters more is the overall global market, or at least the North American market. California may find itself with a whole bunch of residents that go elsewhere to buy their vehicles (new or used) if they can't get them in California.

In terms of developed global market. They are making pushes to electric.

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my view folks have no idea how business works. If several auto companies are EV only or 90% EV where are these ICE cars going to come from?

Let the market and technology make the transition. Forcing things that are inferior at the time never works.
Therein lies what is 'not said'. While a few companies have 'committed' to go all EV, not everyone has, and even those that have, they won't let go of select ICE lines if substantial demand continues to exist. All those CEOs will be gone by 2035.
Sponsored