Sponsored

V8 potential problems coming? [ADMIN WARNING: *** NO POLITICS ***]

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think there are plenty of people who want or like EVs but do not buy them. Most EVs are expensive and lack supply. If I had to buy a electric I would like a 2 door coupe electric mustang for the same price I paid for my mustang GT ($4x,000) but that does not exist. Maybe by 2035 it will (adjusted for inflation).
I like Ferraris (or at least the idea of them), but I'm never, ever going to buy one. I think I get what you are saying. EVs suck right now, but you like the idea of an EV and you think maybe someday they will be good and cheap and charging will be easy and the other problems with the grid etc. will be overcome. And then when that lovely day comes, you will buy an EV.

Until then you don't want to drive a small, fuel efficient sensible car. You prefer a car with a big engine like the Mustang. That part still seems odd to me, but whatever. I totally understand liking Mustangs, because I do.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I like the idea of an EV Mustang GT that has a 5.0 Coyote battery charger under the hood..........

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I like Ferraris (or at least the idea of them), but I'm never, ever going to buy one. I think I get what you are saying. EVs suck right now, but you like the idea of an EV and you think maybe someday they will be good and cheap and charging will be easy and the other problems with the grid etc. will be overcome. And then when that lovely day comes, you will buy an EV.

Until then you don't want to drive a small, fuel efficient sensible car. You prefer a car with a big engine like the Mustang. That part still seems odd to me, but whatever. I totally understand liking Mustangs, because I do.
I would never buy a electric car to save the planet or not have to pay for gas. I am only interested in the performance and less maintenance. Which is why I think its crazy when I see someone buying a "slow" electric car 😂 .

Gas cars in general are still faster than most electric cars under 100k. But once that starts to change you might see a lot of gas drives switch over to electric. But of course performance isn't everything and I will always miss the sound of the V8. Might keep my 5.0L around forever because of it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I like the idea of an EV Mustang GT that has a 5.0 Coyote battery charger under the hood..........
That sounds like the car in my garage. After all the 5.0 does run a generator that charges a battery.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
But of course performance isn't everything and I will always miss the sound of the V8.
For me the sound is kind of low on the totem pole. I do love the sound but for me the deal breaker is I wouldn't be able to drive around town and then drive 450 miles to my son's house if there was an emergency. I'd have to rent a car or wait for the stupid battery to charge. I also might have to stop and charge along the way. So even if I could get an EV that equals or out performs my GT for the same or lower price I would still pass as long as I could still buy gas.

That will be the next phase, they will start banning gas stations.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
For me the sound is kind of low on the totem pole. I do love the sound but for me the deal breaker is I wouldn't be able to drive around town and then drive 450 miles to my son's house if there was an emergency. I'd have to rent a car or wait for the stupid battery to charge. I also might have to stop and charge along the way. So even if I could get an EV that equals or out performs my GT for the same or lower price I would still pass as long as I could still buy gas.

That will be the next phase, they will start banning gas stations.
Maybe I am being stupid here. But with how much money they are pumping into EVs. I feel like by 2035-2040 we have will EVs that can charge fast, run 500-1,000 miles on a single charge, and batteries can last 1 million miles.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I feel like by 2035-2040 we have will EVs that can charge fast, run 500-1,000 miles on a single charge, and batteries can last 1 million miles.
LOL

You can't get past physics. It would take a charge rate of 450 amps to charge a 100 kWh battery in the time it takes to fill a gas tank.

We used 250 kwh to weld 1/2 thick steel.

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Maybe I am being stupid here. But with how much money they are pumping into EVs. I feel like by 2035-2040 we have will EVs that can charge fast, run 500-1,000 miles on a single charge, and batteries can last 1 million miles.
If we couldn't get ICE cars to do all of that in 100+ years of development, why should we expect EVs to do all of that? We're well past 100 years of EV development, and they're craptasticly useless as anything other than toys.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
If we couldn't get ICE cars to do all of that in 100+ years of development, why should we expect EVs to do all of that? We're well past 100 years of EV development, and they're craptasticly useless as anything other than toys.
Because battery electric has a higher ceiling for development.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Not stupid, maybe more like hopeful/optimistic. Electric motors are already 80-90% efficient, not much room for improvement there. Controllers are pretty good too. Batteries are the best place to find some gains although improvements have been incremental. The next big jump in batteries has been much like fusion energy, always xx number of years away. Moore's Law doesn't seem to work here.

Even so, probably 95+% of trips are well within the range of current EVs.

Back to the original title: why would we need a V8 (except they sound so good) when a turbo 4 with a small electric motor boost would give better: performance; economy; cost; weight...

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
It's been 100+ years. This is where we're at; :cwl: :cwl:

1662132860290.png
Yea your right Ford is over 100 years old and it still doesn't have mobile service like Tesla.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yea your right Ford is over 100 years old and it still doesn't have mobile service like Tesla.
Uh huh.

You can pretend EVs are headed in the right direction. But ignoring reality has it's costs.

Do you own an EV?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I remember carbon batteries. Then the big break through was alkaline. The alkaline batteries of today don't last any longer than the ones from the 1970's
Sponsored