Sponsored

V6 vs EcoBoost

shadowsong6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 mustang v6
Did i say a monster? Did i say unstreetable? Your not following the OPs train of thought here. I said daily driver characteristics i.e. gas mileage (debatable i know), warranty, CARB etc. I am not deriding your comment personally but trying to help the OP. Why would u drop in excess of 6-7k (that is on the low side) to build out a stroker kit to get an N/A build rated at around 400 unless u are gearing up for a track build on a car whose engine stock can handle 600whp with boost? That makes little sense. Lets understand what the OP is asking here and why. Why would i advocate engine work to the level of a stroker kit to someone who is clearly attempting to learn the basics and has stated their a novice rating in basic wrenching. They also are concerned about cost over the life of the car. Hell, has anyone on this forum done the stroker kit to understand how that looks on our cars, outside of a track build...no. I would not recommend this option the OP, and nor did i post misinformation in answering what a stroker kit is...

EDIT: I answered this first thing in the AM before my coffee. I apologize if this comes off with bad intent. That is not the case.
No worries, you said "thats not something you do for a street car" so I took it as you saying it was unstreetable. But yes, strokers, heads, cams, etc, aren't exactly what you'd call beginner friendly, even if a shop is doing the work.

And OP: I'd take the mustang over the speed3 or the GTI simply for the RWD. I'm sure the other 2 are great cars but FWD is bad mmmmkay?
Sponsored

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re looking for a cheap moddable car is throw the fiesta st, focus st, mx-5 and 86 brz in there too.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
wow thanks for all the support here. This is what really makes me want the Mustang over my other choices is just the absurdly large amount(in a good way of course) support you get. Right now my choices boil down the these options and in no particular order or anything:
1. VW mk6 or MK7 gti-depends on mileage and pricing
from what i understand and have driven a few these cars are amazing for what they are and their performance abilities have huge potential.

2. Mustang v6 or ecoboost.
Dont need to discuss this since the thread is already kind of all about that lol

3. Mazdaspeed3
great car from my very limited research but very limited aftermarket.

All those cars are great options, but if what you have said since the beginning holds true about cost then none of those make sense. Boost cars are inherently expensive to upgrade and VWs even more so. Mainly because you better buy quality parts and nothing less for those rides. However, stock builds....I'd get into that all day. My uncle has owned both those cars. Great fun. He built out his GTI...loads more fun, but not cheap. You got some choices here. Just lay out those goals and make a chart showing the pros and cons of each car and whatever comes out on top is the choice to make. Sounds easy right, lol, we know it isn't!

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium OW 10spd
these are all great replies. essentially my dilemma still stands lol. I want the eco because I don't have to spend the money upgrading it interior wise to a premium trim. But I don't want the eco because I worry about the sound they make with a custom exhaust. I really would like a v6 because they sound a lot better and I do like linear power more but the cost of power upgrades initially plus the upgrading of trim would cost more than getting a 50k miles used gt lol. idk this is the hardest car decision I've had to make in a VERY long time. I am sure one-day it'll click and ill say oh yeah I want that car lol.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
v6 camaro. Faster, better sounding, better handling.

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If i had a thumbs down option, you sir would get two.
you know i actually looked at them as well., you can get the premium trim tbh. so thats a huge plus. the BIGGEST downside is that the aftermarket support in terms of power for the v6 camaro is non existent. theres on supercharger and it is not the best power output for the money.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
you know i actually looked at them as well., you can get the premium trim tbh. so thats a huge plus. the BIGGEST downside is that the aftermarket support in terms of power for the v6 camaro is non existent. theres on supercharger and it is not the best power output for the money.
Yeah, i see. was just throwing it out there lol. Good luck

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so if i were to go with the ecoboost since alot more comes standard because i can get the premium-my goal would be 400 hp/tq at the wheels. i know this is entirely possible and would be willing to spend the money as needed. Ive decided what ill do in terms of mustangs for the future-get one now so i can love the car lol and work on it and save to get a 2018/19 gt when they come used at a discount late on. i also noticed the option of a 2.0 block. that would allow me to have more hp without blowing my engine lol.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If your plan is really to get a 18/19 GT for cheaper, then why not run a beat for a year? The savings from that will be more than the depreciation you can expect for the newer car so you'll be able to move on one of those sooner? I know it sucks driving a lame car for awhile, but if that's your plan for sooner than later, just save up longer.

Sponsored

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
v6 camaro. Faster, better sounding, better handling.
I liked the v6 Camaro a lot. The interior and the handling impressed me. Visibility and connection to the road was lacking though.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I liked the v6 Camaro a lot. The interior and the handling impressed me. Visibility and connection to the road was lacking though.
I also considered a V6 Camaro. I liked the feel of the chassis, more power, and availability of premium options. In the end I went with the Mustang because of (1) looks (prefer the Mustang by far); (2) price (used 2016+ Camaros were more in my area, even those with fewer creature comforts); (3) visibility and (4) trunk space. I would have been able to live with (3) and (4) but (1) and (2) kept me with the Mustang. Also, my dad used to have a '66 Mustang convertible so it just seemed right.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I also considered a V6 Camaro. I liked the feel of the chassis, more power, and availability of premium options. In the end I went with the Mustang because of (1) looks (prefer the Mustang by far); (2) price (used 2016+ Camaros were more in my area, even those with fewer creature comforts); (3) visibility and (4) trunk space. I would have been able to live with (3) and (4) but (1) and (2) kept me with the Mustang. Also, my dad used to have a '66 Mustang convertible so it just seemed right.
For me it was the wife. Wife always wanted a stang. In the end I couldn’t go wrong with either. I mean to be able to get the choice between both is not a bad thing! Hah.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Also, glad you went with the stang!

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Also, glad you went with the stang!
Thanks. I originally started looking at convertibles for my wife. She realized I was into it a lot more than her and told me to just get what I want. Her only advice was about color. A red one will get "noticed" too much by police. She probably would have felt the same way about orange. :)
Sponsored