Sponsored

V6 vs EcoBoost

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
With a v6??? Before I put the 3.73's in I was getting 29-34 mpg and I lock the cruise control in at 80 all day.
Yes, V6 and it's been pretty consistently that number regardless of my mods. At one point I did manage to get up around 18.5-19, but that was my grandma driving and I wasn't enjoying myself.
Sponsored

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Yes, V6 and it's been pretty consistently that number regardless of my mods. At one point I did manage to get up around 18.5-19, but that was my grandma driving and I wasn't enjoying myself.
That seems crazy to me. I get milage like that in my explorer with the same engine, it probably weighs twice as much, has 3.73's, and is way less aerodynamic.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Long term reliability? Well, I would have to give it to the tried and true v6 engine. Its been out since 2011, and countless people have gone well past the 150k mark. Also, you don't really see people online talk about a blown 3.7 motor (maybe if its forced inducted, but if you keep it stock or tuned it seems incredibly reliable, where as the Ecoboost has shown to blow head gaskets and other components more often than the v6)
To be fair, any S550 should make it to 200k miles with proper maintenance. Cars are so well engineered today, 200k miles is a task most vehicles should make. Granted, the 200k mile mark I'm talking about is for a stock vehicle. Modifications throw all that out the window. Although I wouldn't be surprised if a modified vehicle made it to 200k miles as long as it wasn't driven like a race car 24/7.

Ecoboost issues are very overstated and most are rock solid. On a forum, I'd expect to hear about all the issues that a vehicle has. For every one person that has an issue on the forum, 1000+ people have no issues. Really, you can't go wrong with either vehicle.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair, any S550 should make it to 200k miles with proper maintenance. Cars are so well engineered today, 200k miles is a task most vehicles should make. Granted, the 200k mile mark I'm talking about is for a stock vehicle. Modifications throw all that out the window. Although I wouldn't be surprised if a modified vehicle made it to 200k miles as long as it wasn't driven like a race car 24/7.

Ecoboost issues are very overstated and most are rock solid. On a forum, I'd expect to hear about all the issues that a vehicle has. For every one person that has an issue on the forum, 1000+ people have no issues. Really, you can't go wrong with either vehicle.
Good points. What modifications would you say tend to through that 200k mark out the window?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Good points. What modifications would you say tend to through that 200k mark out the window?
I would say you should have no problem getting 200k miles out of an N/A V6 or V8. Once these vehicles see FI, who knows? Maybe 125k, maybe 200k. Depends on how hot the tune is.

Same for ecoboost. Depends on how hot the tune is.

Sponsored

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
I still love my Procharged 3.7. It beats up on GT's and SS's and still gets 28 MPG. Too bad the Procharged 3.7 is not CARB approved.

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium OW 10spd
I still love my Procharged 3.7. It beats up on GT's and SS's and still gets 28 MPG. Too bad the Procharged 3.7 is not CARB approved.
see thats the problem, here in cali alot of stuff isnt carb legal so my power upgrades are few lol.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I hadn't noticed the Cali part, you should definitely go Ecoboost in that case. Throw on a Ford Performance Power Pack (or another tune if it's CARB legal) and be happy with it. None of the options I mentioned for the V6 will be compliant.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I hadn't noticed the Cali part, you should definitely go Ecoboost in that case. Throw on a Ford Performance Power Pack (or another tune if it's CARB legal) and be happy with it. None of the options I mentioned for the V6 will be compliant.
Great point. If I had wanted to mod and be concerned with carb legal I'd probably go Ecoboost. Still though, v6s are a really good buy for what you get, and if you throw a catback on there you are golden. BBK shorty headers are carb legal as well and sound great.

Anything by Borla will be perfect for that new Cali law too. Quiet when you want it, loud when you get on it.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Shorties and exhaust won't really give you any power though, let's say 5-10hp over a stock car.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Shorties and exhaust won't really give you any power though, let's say 5-10hp over a stock car.
Yeah true. I guess you could still get tuned, Cali won't be able to do anything about that lol.

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium OW 10spd
Great point. If I had wanted to mod and be concerned with carb legal I'd probably go Ecoboost. Still though, v6s are a really good buy for what you get, and if you throw a catback on there you are golden. BBK shorty headers are carb legal as well and sound great.

Anything by Borla will be perfect for that new Cali law too. Quiet when you want it, loud when you get on it.
see with the right smog tech anything can be legal lol so its still in the works to decide between v6 and ecoboost. Also has anyone thought of doing the f150 tt v6 swap into a mustang?

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You’ll put up bigger numbers easier and for less money on the ecoboost. But why are you so hung up on 450hp?

300 is the sweet spot for daily driving. It’s fast enough to be fun and literally beat 99% of the cars on the road and efficient enough to be halfway decent on gas. Also you get cheaper rates on insurance.

The eco will give you bigger numbers easier but at what cost? Longevity of the engine?

At some point a car is a car and you rely on it to get you from point A to point B without smoke pouring out of the hood.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
With a v6??? Before I put the 3.73's in I was getting 29-34 mpg and I lock the cruise control in at 80 all day.
I've never gotten close to that, but Nagare seems low. I get a range from 20-24 depending on how I drive it.
Sponsored