Sponsored

trunk won't open

Fechter99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost convertible
Hoping someone can help me out. I have fallen victim to what I believe is the damaged wiring harness in the trunk because the trunk release buttons on the dash, on the back and key fob won't work, nor will the master key in the lock in the back seat. And the back up camera is not working either. I did remove the back seat in the hopes of yanking on the emergency trunk release handle to then only discover that I don't actually have one in there. We had bought the car used and never realized it was missing until we needed it. Now, I am trying to figure out how to open the trunk without spending a small fortune at a dealer since it is not under warranty any longer. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Also of note, I have the liner on the inside of the trunk lid just to add another level of annoyance.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Is the cable for the manual truck release there, just not the handle? If so, grab a set of locking pliers...

JR

OP
OP

Fechter99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't see the wires because I have the insert that covers the inside of the trunk lid. I am not sure how to even remove it on a normal day, much less while trying to lay inside the trunk looking up at it.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
The liner (insert) comes off with a half dozen or so "plugs." They have a T head and ribbed shank that grabs the hole in the panel to hold em in place. You can pry em out with a flat blade screwdriver or get a removal tool at a parts store. Not sure how accessible all of the plugs are with the trunk closed. Had to pull mine to change the BU camera, but at least my trunk opened.

You miss keys yet?

OP
OP

Fechter99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The liner (insert) comes off with a half dozen or so "plugs." They have a T head and ribbed shank that grabs the hole in the panel to hold em in place. You can pry em out with a flat blade screwdriver or get a removal tool at a parts store. Not sure how accessible all of the plugs are with the trunk closed. Had to pull mine to change the BU camera, but at least my trunk opened.

You miss keys yet?
Thanks, yeah unfortunately it is next to impossible to pop those plugs out while squeezing into the trunk on your back. I gave in and brought it to the dealer yesterday but they still have not even looked at it and don't think they will get to it today either.

Any suggestions on whether a body shop or a regular mechanic could help just get the stupid trunk open?

And no, thank goodness have not lost keys yet if that is what you mean by "miss keys".

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Wish there were better news, but the only way that thing is gonna open is by accessing the latch, electrically or mechanically. Mechanical access, you'll have to dig through the trunk lid liner and find the free end of the emergency cable. Or, you might be able to pull the interior liner panel from the tail light body panel and pull out the striker; the bolts that hold it in place are under that trim panel, and IIRC the push pins holding it in place are accessible from inside the trunk. Electrical access, you might be able to pop the latch with a 12 volt battery or power supply across the wires to the electric latch. You may have to cut the wires to the trunk lid harness to get there, but if your harness is already damaged, you aren't going to make it much worse. The harness routing is not good. Just about designed to have the wiring fail at some point. Thought my BU camera problem might be the wiring cuz the sheath on the harness is already beaten up where it runs under the rim of the trunk lid.

Absolute worst case, rip the trunk lid liner. You can probably find a replacement at a salvage yard.

Guess I should have said, "You miss locks that have keys to open em" I thought it was messed up when Ford dropped the passenger side door lock cylinder on the New Edge 'stang. This no keys for the door and trunk thing kinda bugs this old timer.

OP
OP

Fechter99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Happy to report that a co-worker managed to fit himself into the trunk and actually located the emergency release handle which was hidden up inside the deck lid liner. This is after the car sat at the dealer for two days without them looking at it so we went and picked it up. We found 3 broken wires, and several others with damage. We spliced in extra wire, replaced fuses and everything works again! We actually zip tied and ran a cord from the emergency release handle through the trunk and left it under the back seat so if we ever had this problem again we can just pop the bottom of the seat and pull the cord.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Wish there were better news, but the only way that thing is gonna open is by accessing the latch, electrically or mechanically. Mechanical access, you'll have to dig through the trunk lid liner and find the free end of the emergency cable. Or, you might be able to pull the interior liner panel from the tail light body panel and pull out the striker; the bolts that hold it in place are under that trim panel, and IIRC the push pins holding it in place are accessible from inside the trunk. Electrical access, you might be able to pop the latch with a 12 volt battery or power supply across the wires to the electric latch. You may have to cut the wires to the trunk lid harness to get there, but if your harness is already damaged, you aren't going to make it much worse. The harness routing is not good. Just about designed to have the wiring fail at some point. Thought my BU camera problem might be the wiring cuz the sheath on the harness is already beaten up where it runs under the rim of the trunk lid.

Absolute worst case, rip the trunk lid liner. You can probably find a replacement at a salvage yard.

Guess I should have said, "You miss locks that have keys to open em" I thought it was messed up when Ford dropped the passenger side door lock cylinder on the New Edge 'stang. This no keys for the door and trunk thing kinda bugs this old timer.

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Happy to report that a co-worker managed to fit himself into the trunk and actually located the emergency release handle which was hidden up inside the deck lid liner. This is after the car sat at the dealer for two days without them looking at it so we went and picked it up.
I wonder if they'll even notice the car is gone lol. Congrats on getting into the trunk and finding the culprit. I have no shame modifying a bean counting engineer's design.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Happy to report that a co-worker managed to fit himself into the trunk and actually located the emergency release handle which was hidden up inside the deck lid liner.
The panel between the interior and the trunk is removable? I figured it was welded in for body strength.

gpierce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
You are aware there is a key for the driver door though?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Fechter99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The panel between the interior and the trunk is removable? I figured it was welded in for body strength.
In mine (2015 convertible), there is no panel between the interior and trunk. I just had to remove the back seat.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
In mine (2015 convertible), there is no panel between the interior and trunk. I just had to remove the back seat.
You’re right, I checked mine and there is a very shallow panel. I thought that was closed off completely. You must have a skinny friend to get through that opening! In any event, glad to hear that you got it open.

sk8nSam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350, 2005 Lotus Elise
Happy to report ... We found 3 broken wires, and several others with damage. We spliced in extra wire, replaced fuses and everything works again!
My trunk won't open. Same symptoms as yours. Already checked the fuses. Where should I look for broken wires (after I recruit a skinny friend to open it)? Thanks.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My trunk won't open. Same symptoms as yours. Already checked the fuses. Where should I look for broken wires (after I recruit a skinny friend to open it)? Thanks.
The bad harness is usually located on the right side (passenger side) on the S550's. It's a very common issue with the 2015-2017's.

Here's some threads that will help. Harness location and fixes: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...op-working-heres-the-fix.117245/#post-2465359

Trunk lid specific:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2015-mustang-gt-trunk-latch-will-not-open.103386/

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Maybe I missed it but did you guys try the emergency key in the lock that is behind the seat back on the drivers side?
I know it's there but haven't tried it yet. Maybe I should, just in case.
Sponsored