Trailer for your S550

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
But why bother when you can get one that fits, wonder how funny you'll think you are after you have to do it half dozen times? OP if you're going to spend the money get one that works, they're out there and I didn't spend extra for one that fits
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
But why bother when you can get one that fits, wonder how funny you'll think you are after you have to do it half dozen times? OP if you're going to spend the money get one that works, they're out there and I didn't spend extra for one that fits
Remove fenders ? I've done probably about hundred of times. I don't think you understand that sooner or later you'll end up with a car where you will be able to open the door even on the trailer with lowest fender possible. Stock ride height Mustang on stock tires is just about a Jeep (ride height wise) in a world of sporty cars.

TRM99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, '19 Lincoln MKC,'16 F150, 65 Malibu SS
Actually have had the fender off & on perhaps 50 times - with a battery powered impact it takes perhaps 2 seconds per each bolt (2) then lift a 10-15 lb fender up and set it aside - 15 seconds total. Reversing the procedure might take 25-30 seconds.
Sorry if my jocularity offended you, guess I never thought that removing and replacing a fender was such an arduous task to be avoided at all costs! Again, my apologies.

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Considering an open trailer for my S550. It would be pretty much dedicated for this car or similar size so not looking for a huge heavy car hauler that could haul a 1 ton truck. Tow vehicle is a Suburban. Suggestions on specs and brands? Thanks.
What did you end up going with. I have a Gladiator Rubicon 7K towing so I’m considering an aluminum trailer

OP
OP
Prodigal

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
What did you end up going with. I have a Gladiator Rubicon 7K towing so I’m considering an aluminum trailer
I got a 7k car hauler. Aluminum was more than I could justify for as little as I use it plus I tow with a suburban so the weight wasn’t an issue. The right custom straps and tie down points from Macs tie downs made it easy. I did need to get a set of long aluminum ramps to load the car without tearing up the chin spoiler. Having to tow it for the first time in the rain did suck!

IMG_6292.jpeg

IMG_6291.jpeg

Sponsored

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Ah, now that I see those pics I do remember another post you made. Thanks for responding, I’m in no hurry to purchase but limited to weight since I have to plans of getting rid of the gladiator

OP
OP
Prodigal

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Ah, now that I see those pics I do remember another post you made. Thanks for responding, I’m in no hurry to purchase but limited to weight since I have to plans of getting rid of the gladiator
Lol, I sold my gladiator to buy my Mach 1. No regrets!

IMG_3287.jpeg

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
I tow the Rented Mule with a 14' Featherlight 3110 open aluminum trailer. It's a 7,000 lb capacity, but weighs just under 1,300 lbs. Overall length is right around 18", so it fits in a standard home garage if that's important.

I use RaceRamps to cut down the load angle so that I have no issues with the lowered ride height and the R-model splitter. Also, I use a set of RaceRamp lifts for the front wheels to get the splitter up over the front rail and winch. I also use a "V" strap with hooks to the factory transport locations on the subframe rails to winch it up onto the trailer. Tie-downs are Vulcan straps.

As for removable fenders, Featherlight uses spring-loaded "T" handles on both fenders, so they literally come off in seconds and are superlight. I usually take them off and put them inside my truck when spending a night at a hotel on the road, just to be sure they don't disappear.

Home from Barber Trip (2).jpg

msorel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
msorel
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Are there trailers where the trailer fenders sit lower than the doors of a car?

I mean sure, if one has a winch kit, they can offload the vehicle easily enough, but unless you’re a toothpick or a Duke Boy, I can’t see how some folks can get into the vehicle on a trailer like the above image.
Trailers with fenders lower than car doors can pose challenges for ingress and egress. However, employing a winch kit can alleviate such concerns. Get more info on this topic. By utilizing a winch, one can safely offload the vehicle, ensuring easy access without contending with the trailer's height limitations. This method not only guarantees convenience but also enhances safety, particularly for those with mobility constraints or bulky cargo. Investing in a quality winch setup not only facilitates vehicle loading and unloading but also exemplifies prudence and foresight in trailer management, fostering a seamless transportation experience for all involved.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Prodigal

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I tow the Rented Mule with a 14' Featherlight 3110 open aluminum trailer. It's a 7,000 lb capacity, but weighs just under 1,300 lbs. Overall length is right around 18", so it fits in a standard home garage if that's important.

I use RaceRamps to cut down the load angle so that I have no issues with the lowered ride height and the R-model splitter. Also, I use a set of RaceRamp lifts for the front wheels to get the splitter up over the front rail and winch. I also use a "V" strap with hooks to the factory transport locations on the subframe rails to winch it up onto the trailer. Tie-downs are Vulcan straps.

As for removable fenders, Featherlight uses spring-loaded "T" handles on both fenders, so they literally come off in seconds and are superlight. I usually take them off and put them inside my truck when spending a night at a hotel on the road, just to be sure they don't disappear.

Home from Barber Trip (2).jpg
How do you unload with the winch? Obviously winching is easy loading because ramps are always up hill. But how do you winchbit off in a controlled manner? Is finding a sloped parking lot and making sure the front of the trailer is higher than the rear tge key? Unloading for me is the worst, I had a ramp bounce off the U channel on one side while backing down and had my jacking rail sitting on the deck while the rear wheel was hanging in the air. I had the Jack up the rear end high enough to get the ramp lip back into the groove on the rear of the trailer. It was horrible. If I can figure out a way to use a winch it could be done much slower and controlled not to mention I could see what was going on versus being in the drivers seat and not being able to see anything. I just ordered the Steeda tie down kit so I plan to use the front center point to pull from.

Johnny maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt fx4 4k lux 89 cougar xr7 5spd 84
They make open trailers with fender clearance needed for a Mustang. Just get one that fits your car and you can get in and out of with issues. I sold mine because of this and got a haulmark inclosed car trailer.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
How do you unload with the winch? Obviously winching is easy loading because ramps are always up hill. But how do you winchbit off in a controlled manner? Is finding a sloped parking lot and making sure the front of the trailer is higher than the rear tge key? Unloading for me is the worst, I had a ramp bounce off the U channel on one side while backing down and had my jacking rail sitting on the deck while the rear wheel was hanging in the air. I had the Jack up the rear end high enough to get the ramp lip back into the groove on the rear of the trailer. It was horrible. If I can figure out a way to use a winch it could be done much slower and controlled not to mention I could see what was going on versus being in the drivers seat and not being able to see anything. I just ordered the Steeda tie down kit so I plan to use the front center point to pull from.
If there's not an incline where I park, I just use the tongue jack to lift the front of the trailer a bit (while it's still hooked to my truck). I leave the winch connected to the V strap under the car when towing, so all I have to do to unload is undo the wheel straps and use the winch remote switch on reverse and the car rolls as slowly as I'd like down onto the ground. No need to open the doors, start the car, or even take the trailer fenders off.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Way back in the day I carried a set of garage ramps and place them in front of the rear wheels of my tow rig and pulled up on them. This positioned the rear of the trailer at the perfect angle along with the 5 ft ramps to load my old 95 Cobra Track car. I do not recommend this but it did work.
Sponsored