Sponsored

Track Tool Kit

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
What tools do you guys normally bring to the track?

All I have so far is inflator, scissor jack, breaker bar, torque wrench, socket for wheels.

I have a Home Depot tote with this stuff plus a quart of oil in it so far.

As a novice I don't expect to need very much my first couple times, but I'm the over-prepared type.
Sponsored

Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My list includes helmet, gloves, tire gauge, air pump, breaker bar, torque wrench, wheel socket with ratchet driver, water, snacks, chair, tire chock, change of clothes, tarp and GoPro. I keep everything in a tote as well, much easier.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'm the only one who only gets helmet and Racebox. But to be fair I also have tire pressure gauge in the car for setting tire pressures as well as IR gun that I rarely use for tire temps. But my track is only 1 hour 30 minutes away and I drive a street car. One time I needed lines for charging the battery as I'm an idiot and 1 time I needed 1.5 qts of oil so few bottles of oil, brake fluid etc could be beneficial. Chair and a tent would be nice to have as well as something to keep drinks cold.

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
Youā€™ve got a good basic list. I would definitely add glass cleaner and a glass cleaning towel. Even if you clean the inside and outside of the windshield before you go, itā€™s good to bring that stuff with you if you get a big bug splat during a session.

Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Great thread! Im putting together my kit right now.
In a canvas tool wrap I have sockets in sizes I may need (7,8,10,13,15,18, spline lug socket), wrenches in those same sizes, spanner wrench, 3/8 ratchet, and a screwdriver with interchangeable bits.

I also have a cheap tool bag from Home Depot with duct tape, zip ties, dewalt 3/8 impact, impact compatible bottle jack, a tire gauge, and portable compressor that works with my dewalt impact battery.

I also have jack stands, and wheel chocks but they just go loose in the trunk for now with
Spare fluids (brake, oil, coolant).

Breaker bar and torque wrench is a great idea also

A chair and lightweight portable awning will be coming along too now.

Been thinking about getting two of the Milwaukee pack out boxes to hold all this stuff, anybody have those?

OP
OP
MrMike

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My list includes helmet, gloves, tire gauge, air pump, breaker bar, torque wrench, wheel socket with ratchet driver, water, snacks, chair, tire chock, change of clothes, tarp and GoPro. I keep everything in a tote as well, much easier.
I actually didn't think of a change of clothes.

Is the tire chock instead of the e-brake after a session?

Bring some extra fluids like coolant and brake. Maybe a flashlight too along with some sockets an a screwdriver.
I have extra coolant and brake fluid in my garage, can plop those in there no problem.

Youā€™ve got a good basic list. I would definitely add glass cleaner and a glass cleaning towel. Even if you clean the inside and outside of the windshield before you go, itā€™s good to bring that stuff with you if you get a big bug splat during a session.
One bottle of invisible glass and a couple basic waffle weaves, in they go.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I keep a bunch of the usualy stuff mentioned above, plus:

+I have a large waterproof duffle in case of rain.
+Tire patch kit
+Fuel jugs and pump for E85
+Spare lug nut or three, a spare wheel stud or two.
+Spare splitter rods
+A work light
+Lithium battery charger for my Braille
+A batter powered fan to cool the diff on hot days.
+Small socket wrench for my intake straps if the intake silicone pops off and some hair spray for that.

For HPDE events you can often borrow tools and stuff like a jack and stands, so sometimes Iā€™ll skip that if I think its a low probability Iā€™ll need it.

Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I actually didn't think of a change of clothes.

Is the tire chock instead of the e-brake after a session?

I have extra coolant and brake fluid in my garage, can plop those in there no problem.

One bottle of invisible glass and a couple basic waffle weaves, in they go.
Yes sir, chock is so I donā€™t have to use the e-brake after a session. The track I usually go to has a grass/gravel staging area. Iā€™m sure it wouldnā€™t roll away but better safe than sorry!

Sponsored
OP
OP
MrMike

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Edit: Also added a pair of gloves to the tote.

I keep a bunch of the usualy stuff mentioned above, plus:

+I have a large waterproof duffle in case of rain.
+Tire patch kit
+Fuel jugs and pump for E85
+Spare lug nut or three, a spare wheel stud or two.
+Spare splitter rods
+A work light
+Lithium battery charger for my Braille
+A batter powered fan to cool the diff on hot days.
+Small socket wrench for my intake straps if the intake silicone pops off and some hair spray for that.

For HPDE events you can often borrow tools and stuff like a jack and stands, so sometimes Iā€™ll skip that if I think its a low probability Iā€™ll need it.
Are tire plugs usually allowed on the track? I have a kit I keep in my Bronco.

Work light vs the standard flash light I keep in my car is a good point.

Fan is a great idea that hasn't been mentioned, but I think I'll be a bit too new to overheat the diff right away lol.

Yes sir, chock is so I donā€™t have to use the e-brake after a session. The track I usually go to has a grass/gravel staging area. Iā€™m sure it wouldnā€™t roll away but better safe than sorry!
I will pick up a chock. Small expense for a little peace of mind.

Nothing major, just some basic stuff šŸ˜„

20230526_195648~2.jpg
20230526_194151~2.jpg
20230526_194136~2.jpg
20230526_194106~2.jpg
20230526_195617~2.jpg
Sir, you need a trailer lol.

OP
OP
MrMike

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great thread! Im putting together my kit right now.
In a canvas tool wrap I have sockets in sizes I may need (7,8,10,13,15,18, spline lug socket), wrenches in those same sizes, spanner wrench, 3/8 ratchet, and a screwdriver with interchangeable bits.

I also have a cheap tool bag from Home Depot with duct tape, zip ties, dewalt 3/8 impact, impact compatible bottle jack, a tire gauge, and portable compressor that works with my dewalt impact battery.

I also have jack stands, and wheel chocks but they just go loose in the trunk for now with
Spare fluids (brake, oil, coolant).

Breaker bar and torque wrench is a great idea also

A chair and lightweight portable awning will be coming along too now.

Been thinking about getting two of the Milwaukee pack out boxes to hold all this stuff, anybody have those?
List of sockets is useful, thanks. I've used larger ones when doing suspension work, but if I needed those at the track I might need a tow lol.

I was gifted some DeWalt ToughSystem 2.0 a couple years ago. Works well and is quite tough, but you're sacrificing interior space for that durability. It's more of a trade off compared to a regular tote. I'm just going to use one of the nice HD Husky Totes for this purpose.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Edit: Also added a pair of gloves to the tote.

Are tire plugs usually allowed on the track? I have a kit I keep in my Bronco.
Well I may or may not not be taking spares, at a minimum it might help me get home.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
OP this question came up not long ago. You might look for that other thread.

Your list will grow over time. No need to obsess. And yes, your car begins to get very filled up.

I recommend the OP Racing gas can. One of those plus their special filler hose and bender will save you money. Go into town for a Subway at the lunch break, and fill that can with affordable gas. That will get you through the afternoon sessions and back to town at the end of the day to fill up for the trip home.

I also take a pair of oven mitts because taking off a tire is a very hot task. (Though I normally don't ever need to do that.)
Sponsored