Track Insurance companies

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I'm now signed up for my first Novice run this May and will for sure get track insurance for the weekend. I had seen some threads about who's good, who's high priced but my search didn't turn up that thread. If folks could share good companies and/or link to a good thread I'd appreciate it. Any gotcha's about this type of insurance would be good to know too.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm now signed up for my first Novice run this May and will for sure get track insurance for the weekend. I had seen some threads about who's good, who's high priced but my search didn't turn up that thread. If folks could share good companies and/or link to a good thread I'd appreciate it. Any gotcha's about this type of insurance would be good to know too.
I’ve been using lockton. Prices seem fair. Haven’t had to file any claims.

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I generally don't recommend a company or product except for it's merits based on value, quality or performance. I recommend Hagerty because of what the company stands for and is trying to promote. Hagerty is run by true car guys who are simply motivated in promoting driving as a right and something to be enjoyed. I'd give them my business based on that alone, but they happen to have a very great track day insurance program as well. I've bought their insurance several times and thankfully haven't needed it. I have talked to people who have and they said it was not a hassle at all and they were satisfied with how it all went. So, I'll happily recommend Hagerty.

Last edited:

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
So, do what you want but I would say Track insurance is a total waste of money.

1. Ask your insurance company if they cover you at a "Safety Driving School." Most will once.
2. These track day company's are scams (not Hagerty), however if legit, please read the fine print.

Look for a clause that reads something like, "only damage that happens on track will be covered." Seem exactly what you need right? Wrong! So, you're at the event and you skid off the track and hit the guard rail, since the incident did not happen on the track, you're not covered. (Just double check this and clarify, some Company's I'm correct, some I'm not)

3. Don't over drive and you'll never (99.9%) need it. You're there to learn and have fun, part of that process is to not over drive.

Could be out there with this opinion, but I've never paid for insurance. Be smart, enjoy and have high situational awareness.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
I generally don't recommend a company or product except for it's merits based on value, quality or performance. I recommend Hagerty because of what the company stands for and is trying to promote. Hagerty is run by true car guys who are simply motivated in promoting driving as a right and something to be enjoyed. I'd give them my business based on that alone, but they happen to have a very great track day insurance program as well. I've bought their insurance several times and thankfully haven't needed it. I have talked to people who have and they said it was not a hassle at all and they were satisfied with how it all went. So, I'll happily recommend Hagerty.
Here's a funny situation, I'm a IT contractor presently work for....Hagerty. LOL

* per other posters I will ask a lot of questions but for some dollars not worth risking my ride or others.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
So, do what you want but I would say Track insurance is a total waste of money.

1. Ask your insurance company if they cover you at a "Safety Driving School." Most will once.
2. These track day company's are scams (not Hagerty), however if legit, please read the fine print.

Look for a clause that reads something like, "only damage that happens on track will be covered." Seem exactly what you need right? Wrong! So, you're at the event and you skid off the track and hit the guard rail, since the incident did not happen on the track, you're not covered. (Just double check this and clarify, some Company's I'm correct, some I'm not)

3. Don't over drive and you'll never (99.9%) need it. You're there to learn and have fun, part of that process is to not over drive.

Could be out there with this opinion, but I've never paid for insurance. Be smart, enjoy and have high situational awareness.
Hagerty insures tracks days?? They are the most conservative of the bunch. But very reputable in my experience.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Here's a funny situation, I'm a IT contractor presently work for....Hagerty. LOL

* per other posters I will ask a lot of questions but for some dollars not worth risking my ride or others.
There you go, so any claim you submit will be approved magically. Hahaha

Just relax, track days arguably are 10x safer then driving on the road. Yes every track day weekend someone has a terrible incident. However, you’re all going the same direction, should be spread out (no aggressive racing or race practice), most tracks have plenty of run-off.

Key is to have equipment that’s in proper working order and have your head on your shoulders and slowly build up speed.

Look I haven’t read a track day insurance contract in 25 years, maybe their terms and deductibles are more in line theses days. Do what you feel is best and enjoy.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
It's funny about the different experiences or opinions about this subject. I was in another thread about "new guy getting ready for track" and a seasoned track person posted some severe looking crash photo's saying "you need to have track day insurance" yet same time others say they've run track many many times no problems. I'm a Novice, I know now I'll have instructors with me, drive slower while learning new skills. There will be passing rules and limits on what we can do as Novices. When (expecting it will be) I move up to the next classes I'll then have new skills, better tires, brakes, etc. driving with more skilled drivers too (??). Us analytical folk (Network nerds) are belt, suspenders and velcro kinda people so I'll talk to the companies understand what they really offer and make my decision.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
It's funny about the different experiences or opinions about this subject. I was in another thread about "new guy getting ready for track" and a seasoned track person posted some severe looking crash photo's saying "you need to have track day insurance" yet same time others say they've run track many many times no problems. I'm a Novice, I know now I'll have instructors with me, drive slower while learning new skills. There will be passing rules and limits on what we can do as Novices. When (expecting it will be) I move up to the next classes I'll then have new skills, better tires, brakes, etc. driving with more skilled drivers too (??). Us analytical folk (Network nerds) are belt, suspenders and velcro kinda people so I'll talk to the companies understand what they really offer and make my decision.

SAAC 47 is at Indy this year you should go.

Sponsored

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
For a recent track weekend at Laguna Seca with $65K of coverage, excluding liability, for my GT350: OpenTrack is $426, Lockton is $423, OnTrack is $375 and Hagerty is $354.

Hagerty pays out depreciated value and OnTrack pays agreed value so I went with OnTrack. I’ve used Lockton in the past too. OpenTrack seems to be enthusiast owner. Never made a claim so I can’t say anything about that.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Before there was track insurance, or my knowledge of any. I drove #192 2000 Cobra R at a track in Spokane Wa. Very unsafe as it had cement barriers and large Volkswagen sized boulders outside the track area. I didn’t know then that run at 32-34 degrees on a bright sunny day might cause powertrain failure which mine did and locked up at a left-hand turn doing 80 miles an hour on my track app. It’s slid to the right into one of the cement barriers and totaled the cobra R which I had no insurance for. State Farm could not cover my cobra as it was on the track when it happened .I survived as an angel was riding with me but taught me a lot of lessons. First never take your high performance track days anything below 50° and if you can ,carry track insurance. My Shelby GT 350 R preproduction is guaranteed value at $99,000 and they would take 10% off if I had a total loss at the track. I will never do another high-performance track experience without that insurance.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
For a recent track weekend at Laguna Seca with $65K of coverage, excluding liability, for my GT350: OpenTrack is $426, Lockton is $423, OnTrack is $375 and Hagerty is $354.

Hagerty pays out depreciated value and OnTrack pays agreed value so I went with OnTrack. I’ve used Lockton in the past too. OpenTrack seems to be enthusiast owner. Never made a claim so I can’t say anything about that.
That's some good info, especially about the valuations. Just like learning to drive track, ask lots of questions.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
SAAC 47 is at Indy this year you should go.
This is Shelby American Automobile Club, right? I almost confused it with SCCA, which I joined recently. So this is an all Shelby show/convention/track event, sounds like fun times.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
The newer your car
The more valuable your car
The more your car is your daily driver
The less your HPDE experience
The lower your entered HPDE group
The more you push it on track (especially braking)
The riskier the track (high speed sections, less runoff, etc)

The more you need track day insurance.

My experience is lower intermediate, my car is still pretty new with some mods, and it is my DD. I am trying to attend low risk tracks first, and I don't push for threshold braking at faster, riskier tracks. So I get the insurance and tell myself that track time is "double".
Sponsored