Sponsored

Track insurance for the S550?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I've thought about taking my GT to the track on and off since I bought it. I really don't want to beat this car, that wouldn't be the point of going. But I'd like to know what it can do, how to maneuver/control it and what it's limits are.

I figure if I pick out another set of wheels/all-seasons I can use the PP wheels/P-Zero's for the track.

Side question....what other parts are going to get thrashed with a few track days?

Now when I insured my car, my agent specifically said that the car would not be covered at the track. That's all I need, for the ass end to kick out and slam into a wall, and now I'm making payments for 5 years on a totalled car!!

So are there any companies out there that insure the car for days at the track? If so, which ones and is it something you can pay as you go or is it a quarterly payment whether you go to the track or not?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've thought about taking my GT to the track on and off since I bought it. I really don't want to beat this car, that wouldn't be the point of going. But I'd like to know what it can do, how to maneuver/control it and what it's limits are.

I figure if I pick out another set of wheels/all-seasons I can use the PP wheels/P-Zero's for the track.

Side question....what other parts are going to get thrashed with a few track days?

Now when I insured my car, my agent specifically said that the car would not be covered at the track. That's all I need, for the ass end to kick out and slam into a wall, and now I'm making payments for 5 years on a totalled car!!

So are there any companies out there that insure the car for days at the track? If so, which ones and is it something you can pay as you go or is it a quarterly payment whether you go to the track or not?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Brakes are the #1 thing to make sure you have in order and that take a beating. Your car is new, so everything should be pretty good. I don't know how much track driving you have under your belt. None/Little, you'll be fine as the car is.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brakes are the #1 thing to make sure you have in order and that take a beating. Your car is new, so everything should be pretty good. I don't know how much track driving you have under your belt. None/Little, you'll be fine as the car is.
Ford is going to be picking up the tab on brake pads for the next 3 years so that's fine by me! :D

As far as track experience, I once went to a NASCAR race as a kid. That's about it.

Thanks

-Emt1581

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've used both Lockton and OnTrackInsurance for track days with my S550. I think one was cheaper for one-day events and the other was cheaper for two day events.

I figure as often as I go to the track (4-5 times a year), the insurance is worth it.

Yup, PP wheels with dedicated track/race tires here and I daily on 19x10s with MPSS tires. I'd rather have a set of 19x10 for the street and another set of 10" or 11"s for the track but right now the heavy/narrow stock wheels will do.

If you get into road course events, you may be looking at better brake pads, additional front camber adjustment, rear differential cooling solutions, and/or replacing your wheel hubs sooner than others. Then there are the cosmetic consequences :)

anubis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 with mods
I use MORIS for insurance for U.K. track days

You're looking at ÂŁ150+ for insurance per day but these are the cheapest I've found

Stock brake pads are ok but wouldn't do more than 4 or 5 laps before a cool down

The pzeros are also fine (even good) on track on a warm dry day. I put new pzeros on mine after a couple of track days (I got 2100 miles out of them)

If you're going to go regularly obviously the suspension needs to be sorted as a priority. And remember the noise limits. Most after market exhausts are going to be too loud so you're going to need to put your stock exhaust back on for the track day. That's what I do anyway. Stock measured 88db and my Roush axel backs measured 106db.

Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Insurance from ontrack or lockton is about $230 per event . That's either one or two days . Also remember it's a 10% deductible , so you are out of pocket $3-3.5k+ If you total the car , or if some other guy runs into you and totals your car.

I plan on running my stock PP wheels with the Pzero summers , I have all seasons for DD .

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So essentially for two days at the track I'll spend more on insurance than an entire year of coverage on the road?

Plus I'll have to be replacing plenty of suspension/wheel assembly equipment in short order.

No thanks. At least not at this particular point in time. In a few years I'll have significantly more disposable income but right now I'm saving up for an investment property so $2000 for wheels/tires, $1000-$2000 for a few insured/instructed track days, and thousands more for other replacement parts just isn't in the budget.

I greatly appreciate the replies though and I admire those of you that can not only afford the Mustangs but also have the time and money to have fun with it at the track!!

Thanks again!

-Emt1581

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Pay to play.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pay to play.
You mean pay MORE to play MORE?

I figured buying the Mustang would let me play and it does but playing on the track is a different level.

-Emt1581

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
The price you pay for track insurance is dependent on how much money/value you want to insure the car for. If you choose to insure the vehicle for what you paid new plus parts upgrades, then it's going to get expensive. If you decide to insure just for what you owe, then it can be a lot less.

I've been getting email recently from Lockton. Apparently they are now offering some sort of discount for prepayment of insuring multiple events. I haven't checked it out yet, but I will once the summer is over. Most of the tracks in SoCal are in the desert so I'm waiting for cooler days.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

I figured buying the Mustang would let me play and it does but playing on the track is a different level.

-Emt1581
Your first few times you won't really need to do much except for pay for the event and show up. After a few events if you start pushing the car harder, that's when some of the other costs start adding up.

Still, track days aren't cheap, certainly not in any modern Mustang. For a two day event, out of town costs me ~$850
+ 350 event fee
+ 130 hotel
+ 250 insurance
+ 120 three tanks of gas

OTOH, its hard to find a more fun way to spend a couple of days, not to mention getting a few hours of personal instruction. 140mph down a straight, and taking corners at +1.1g at 90-110mph. Its a helluva experience.

The costs are why cheaper cars like Miatas are so popular at track days. You can get one for <10k (no need for insurance), and the consumables like tires and brake pads are 50% of the cost for bigger cars like 'Vettes and Mustangs. I know some Porsche guys who switched to Miatas to keep the costs reasonable for their track addiction.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)

-Emt1581

What's insane is I see guys at the track with Viper ACRs , Porsche 911 GT3s , going full on balls out, running their cars like they were meant to run . This are not their daily drivers by any means .

I saw a guy with a C7 Vette on a trailer with "farm use" tags on it. He only runs that on a track .

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's insane is I see guys at the track with Viper ACRs , Porsche 911 GT3s , going full on balls out, running their cars like they were meant to run . This are not their daily drivers by any means .

I saw a guy with a C7 Vette on a trailer with "farm use" tags on it. He only runs that on a track .
Those are the kind of people that I'd love to know what they do for a living but also what was involved in getting them to that kind of earning level.

I've met a few. Some are happy to tell you, some, not so much.

-Emt1581

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Just to go back a bit, at HPDE you should not be putting yourself under any pressure to drive beyond whatever pace you're comfortable with.

Those guys driving just shy of 10/10ths aren't new to this activity, so don't use what's a comfortable pace for them as a guideline for your pace as a newbie.

Norm

GT350Brakes.com

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
I pay for track insurance through rlicorp at every event.

I'm not too worried about myself crashing but more of someone hitting me.

There are plenty of threads on various forums where people take their daily out on the track, crash it and are stuck with a bill for what's left on the car loan.

It's around 300 for my Shelby and in my opinion is the price you have to pay to have fun.

If you want to start with something that may be cheaper, auto x has zero cars around you so insurance isn't necessary in my opinion.
Sponsored