Sponsored

track durability: any issues, other than diff temp, for PP Mustangs on the Track?

ResoundingYes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
current: 2016 370z NISMO, former:2013 Mustang GT Track Pack, Cortex, Eibach, Forges
Contemplating a Mustang GT PP2, for daily driver duty and occasional track use. I've read through the thread about the differential temperature warning, so I'm familiar with that issue. My question is: once the diff temp issue is resolve, has anyone then had issues with transmission temps? Either being too high and/or putting the car into limp mode?

Any other issues when it comes to track durability?
Sponsored

93tankus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2
Contemplating a Mustang GT PP2, for daily driver duty and occasional track use. I've read through the thread about the differential temperature warning, so I'm familiar with that issue. My question is: once the diff temp issue is resolve, has anyone then had issues with transmission temps? Either being too high and/or putting the car into limp mode?

Any other issues when it comes to track durability?
I bought my PP2 last summer. I've tracked it twice - and had an ABSOLUTE blast doing so! Yes, I did get the typical diff temp warning the first time out, but I swapped out the rear end oil and had no issues the second time. But - to your question - I didn't have any other temp issues (transmission or oil). The oil temp was a touch high at the very end of a 20 minute session, but it was nothing to worry about.

Overall, I've loved the car! The track handling alone brings a giant smile each time. Driving around town, it's just beastly enough to give you the feeling that you're driving something a little bit different than the norm.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if there is actually a sensor in the manual transmission to report high temps. Overall, the car holds up pretty well to track use, assuming you do camber plates to keep your tires alive and choose appropriate brake pads and suitable tires for your skill level. It does depend on how hard you're driving.

I did the 75w140 gear oil rear diff swap and good heat wrap around the exhaust near and ahead of the rear diff and haven't had any diff temp warnings (in Texas no less).

After a bunch (~14) track days, and 3 years of autocrossing, and 7 sets of RE71R and Michellin tires, the only issues I've had with my '16 PP1 are:
  • Insufficient front camber for track work. (The stock car needs camber plates to keep tires alive).
  • Torn rear brake piston dust boots (no big deal)
  • Torn lower rear control arm bushing (replaced with sphericals this winter)
  • Busted front fender clips from a lawn mowing excursion
  • Worn out rear wheel hubs (both sides). Newer OEM replacements are supposedly a better design and are holding up well.
  • I had some oil cooler lines in the engine bay that started leaking and were fixed under warranty.
Its a fun track car.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Good info here...Thanks!
Picked up our PP2 on May 23, 2018.
I haven't tracked it yet, but wholeheartedly agree with 93tankus' last sentence...It is fun to drive and different from the norm.
Gets lots of thumbs up!

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
I did the 75w140 gear oil rear diff swap and good heat wrap around the exhaust near and ahead of the rear diff and haven't had any diff temp warnings (in Texas no less).

After a bunch (~14) track days, and 3 years of autocrossing, and 7 sets of RE71R and Michellin tires, the only issues I've had with my '16 PP1 are:
  • Insufficient front camber for track work. (The stock car needs camber plates to keep tires alive).
  • Torn rear brake piston dust boots (no big deal)
  • Torn lower rear control arm bushing (replaced with sphericals this winter)
  • Busted front fender clips from a lawn mowing excursion
  • Worn out rear wheel hubs (both sides). Newer OEM replacements are supposedly a better design and are holding up well.
  • I had some oil cooler lines in the engine bay that started leaking and were fixed under warranty.

Good to hear, so far only autocross, will hopefully do 2 HPDE weekends next season . I intend to address rear diff as you have , and already have the camber plates in.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
My experience with the car almost echos nightmaremoon's. It has been an excellent and robust track car. I bought my 2017 GT as a Motorsports toy, it has been off track twice and held up well, no broken or bent parts. I have been through a complete set of wheel bearings at 2800 miles. The new ones seem to be holding up. I have built a diff cooler but have not installed it, as I did the fluid and heat wrap and my diff is also staying cool enough not to trigger a light. In addition my heal toe shifting is getting good to so I may not be torturing the diff as bad. The tire budget is a bit rediculous if you drive it like a muscle car :-)

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
wrapped exhaust near diff and added bg ultraguard ls 75w90 to diff. i had this idea that if i added 4 oz of motorcraft friction modifier it might help diff temps more. has anyone tried this/opinions?

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I’ve only done track days a few times, but I was able to lose brakes, tires, and engine power much faster than overheating the diff. Despite having a PP1 with rt660 tires, rbf600 fluid, and stop tech sport pads.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
I’ve only done track days a few times, but I was able to lose brakes, tires, and engine power much faster than overheating the diff. Despite having a PP1 with rt660 tires, rbf600 fluid, and stop tech sport pads.
Upgrade those pads . I ran OEM pads and overheated my diff way before I lost brakes or power . ( 17 GT PP )

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Those tires aren't really meant for prolonged track times. I've heard the new 200 TW Continental is supposed to be really good for longer duration than the Falkens.

That is impressive to lose the brakes, especially in MA!

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
wrapped exhaust near diff and added bg ultraguard ls 75w90 to diff. i had this idea that if i added 4 oz of motorcraft friction modifier it might help diff temps more. has anyone tried this/opinions?
friction modifier in a torsen diff is a waste and can only do harm (if anything) since the diff uses planetary gears rather than clutch packs.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Same here except i have a base, not a pp. Brakes cooked, and shifter lockout were my biggest problems.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Those tires aren't really meant for prolonged track times. I've heard the new 200 TW Continental is supposed to be really good for longer duration than the Falkens.

That is impressive to lose the brakes, especially in MA!
I agree completely. I was mostly trying to set a priority for the OP by listing problems I need to solve before the diff. cooling.
Sponsored