Sponsored

Took my tuned car in for servicing

el_jefe996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Also could warranty deny repairs for the gaskets because the engine has headers and intake? My guess would be no because the valve covers never got messed with or modified.
Because of the Magnuson Moss Act, they would have to prove that the headers and intake caused the failure.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah man my advice, stop responding to him. I’ve seen him posting replies on numerous threads here, 99% of it just negative or sarcastic comments. He knows best about every topic on here, so just don’t keep engaging.
Its just novaGT, he has been banned a few times now but continues to return. Sometimes he's funny but mostly he's just antagonistic lol

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Please give one example of that ever happening.

Find one example of someone dropping off their S550 for....whatever, and their tune being eradicated by some "update" done at a dealership.
Ok I will play I dropped the Mustang for Winter checkin Package which was free of charge but it did include a new PCM software install in it which also included a new ECU Map. Since my car is stock and was burning oil prior to the new software I was happy this was done. Car stopped burning oil after the new ECU Map. Have I been mapped though this would not be pleasant. Also the ECU in the S650 is locked and could receive OTA updates. So there goes your wrong info in this tread. Regarding OP's question I have a friend who run JLT without tune but the car was not running great. That been said it didn't do any damage to the motor ether. Though the JLT obviously need a tune.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Not sure why they would have any need to flash the car for a valve cover replacement.
True, but you can't count on it.

Cadillac issued a TSB for the 2.0T in my 2013 ATS to flash a new tune. Many owners decided to not have it done. Someone ran a stop sign and lightly t-boned my driver quarter panel. The body shop decided to have a Cadillac dealer do part of the repair. You guessed it. They did the TSB. If a dented quarter panel results in a flash, you can't rule out a gasket doing it. LoL

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Its just novaGT, he has been banned a few times now but continues to return. Sometimes he's funny but mostly he's just antagonistic lol
Damn I'm usually pretty good at picking up when guys come back but not once did I realize that was nova...

Ant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150 STX Sport Crew Cab 4x4
My car was tuned, intake and exhaust. Took it in for engine noise. They replaced the timing chain and guides under warranty. Got the car back with the check engine light on for lean codes. Car idled like shit. I went inside and asked if they removed the tune. They said no. That there was no way they can see if it was tuned or not(We know that’s bullshit) They said they always check to see if there’s any PCM updates. I loaded the tune back on. After driving the car i immediately realized the noise I brought it in for was still there. Dropped the car back off. They replaced the engine under warranty. Picked the car back up and same thing, check engine light on for lean codes. I loaded the tune back on and went on my way.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Because of the Magnuson Moss Act, they would have to prove that the headers and intake caused the failure.
Sure, but not until after they deny your warranty claim and you take them to court to try to get it fixed under warranty, spending more time and money in the process than it would’ve cost to pay another shop to do it or to do it yourself.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sure, but not until after they deny your warranty claim and you take them to court to try to get it fixed under warranty, spending more time and money in the process than it would’ve cost to pay another shop to do it or to do it yourself.
It’s sucks but you’re right, the effort required to prove them wrong is so great most people just move on and deal with the denial

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I will play I dropped the Mustang for Winter checkin Package which was free of charge but it did include a new PCM software install in it which also included a new ECU Map.
I have yet to find (TSB or otherwise) for PCM software updates on 15-17's. Neither could the dealer, or service. Must be a Euro thing.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have yet to find (TSB or otherwise) for PCM software updates on 15-17's. Neither could the dealer, or service. Must be a Euro thing.
Could be an Euro thing. But same PCM software update was done on my friend 19's Mustang. So it's not only for Gen 2 Coyote's.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Probably here just a few like @K4fxd or me have access to ""FDRS" or similar dealer-level diagnostic tools.
On the main screen there is a tab called "software updates". Guess what? It lists all the calibration updates available for the car it is connected to.

I do apply these regular updates every time the subscription is activated and the diagnostic tool is connected. Usually they just take a few minutes (but the TCU ones can very well take an excess of an hour).
It's not only a Ford thing, much every brand today prescribe you do these updates regularly... even if many shops do skip them.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
There are. Connected a friend of mine '15 to FDRS and found at least PCM, PCSM, SCCM, DSP, BCM... and I'm going by memory. There were more.

Car was imported from the US, so yes, absolutely. Every Ford has regular software updates released, all over the world.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I can assure you that very very few techs or dealerships are updating anything "just because". If they are, I would look for another dealer because that one is clueless.
A. This is not a smartphone and does not work like that. Updates are typically to address a specific complaint and updating a vehicle that does not have that issue could be detrimental. In fact, Ford has an SSM that specifically says not to update any module unless directed to by a WSM, TSB or SSM.
B. There is always a risk associated with updating and module, PCM, etc. Flash enough and you will eventually brick one. Dealerships tend not to accept this liability just for the fun of it.
C. Techs get paid for their time, typically flat rate. Updates are rarely quick. I can assure that there are no techs taking their time to perform an update without getting paid and unlikely that their delership is allowing them to anyway. Ford does not pay for updates that are not done to address a specific concern.
D. It was mentioned that "we know that they know when we have a tune." Typically not true. There are usually clues, but it is actually pretty hard to confirm it at the dealership level. Ford has an SSM acknowledging this as well.
E. Aside from sync, our cars do not receive over the air updates. The modem is there for Ford to collect data about driving habits for marketing and future development purposes.

I would love to know more details about an update solving an oil burning issue. I'm not sure how that is even physically possible. I suspect the service writer didn't tell the entire story on that one.
Sponsored