jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
What are you a troll?
Before I started tuning mine I went to the dealer and had them update mine. I wanted the latest OS available for my car.
Yeah man my advice, stop responding to him. I’ve seen him posting replies on numerous threads here, 99% of it just negative or sarcastic comments. He knows best about every topic on here, so just don’t keep engaging.
Sponsored

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
What are you a troll?
Before I started tuning mine I went to the dealer and had them update mine. I wanted the latest OS available for my car.
O.k....so what was updated? Be specific.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'm also fascinated by the idea of a Ford tech hooking up their diagnostic scan tool, causing satellites to link-up in space, communicating with the "main computer in Dearborn" which will automatically update the car's software.
I could provide two scenarios how this is possible:

1. If the diagnostic tool is wireless, it would simply be paired with the dealer's network. With dealer connectivity, it could then go back to Ford or wherever the source code is maintained to pull a copy.

2. Same with satellite access. I doubt it in this day and age, but times past, satellite access from remote areas (dealers in rural locations) would not have been unheard of. Like Hughes or some other service.

It's simply physical access really. Doesn't have to be an actual cable.

Satellites and orbits can follow two general designs:

1. Geostationary Earth Orbit (GEO). If high enough orbit (22K+ miles), the satellite appears fixed in space, relative to the user. Satellites can and do cross-link with one another. One satellite, parked over the US, simply maintains a link with another, over Asia. These links are full-time. They project their respective footprints on Earth, for customer access.

2. Low and Medium (LEO, MEO); these satellites will orbit much lower, only hundreds of miles high, possibly orbiting every 90 minutes or so. GPS is an example. A customer accesses a link, and as that satellite eventually moves off, another comes right up behind it. Again, as with GPS (and now Starlink) the customer does not notice.

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I could provide two scenarios how this is possible:

1. If the diagnostic tool is wireless, it would simply be paired with the dealer's network. With that connectivity, it could then go back to Ford or wherever the source code is maintained to pull a copy.

2. Same with satellite access. I doubt it in this day and age, but times past, satellite access from remote areas (dealers in rural locations) would not have been unheard of. Like Hughes or some other service.

It's simply physical access really. Doesn't have to be an actual cable.
Lots of things are possible, the question wasn't one of technical possibility. The question is whether or not Mustangs get "updated" by a Ford tech simply plugging a scan/diagnostic tool into the OBDII port.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The question is whether or not Mustangs get "updated" by a Ford tech simply plugging a scan/diagnostic tool into the OBDII port.
The answer to that specific question is no., and is not what I said in the beginning.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
The answer to that specific question is no., and is not what I said in the beginning.
Yes, it absolutely is what you said;

If there is an update to the OS.....Sometimes they will plug in for diagnostics and the main computer in Dearborn will automatically update the car's software.....
It's precisely what you said.

Also, you're ducking my last question;

What was updated? Be specific.

This is something people want to know. If we're all running around with cars with vehicles that need an update so they'll be faster, get better MPGs, and run better, we'd like to hear about that.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
How many times does your PC update?

Why do you think every car manufacturer has modems in the cars?

When I wanted to update my car the dealer said it happens over the air now. I said my car is a 17 so they have to plug in.

So you are correct. Most cars will now self update when the car hits a hot spot. No dealer needed.

This has become so ridiculous I'm done.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
How many times does your PC update?

Why do you think every car manufacturer has modems in the cars?

When I wanted to update my car the dealer said it happens over the air now. I said my car is a 17 so they have to plug in.

So you are correct. Most cars will now self update when the car hits a hot spot. No dealer needed.

This has become so ridiculous I'm done.
Oooooh no. Don't you try and strawman argue this. I never wrote "Most cars will now self update when the car hits a hot spot" I never wrote anything of the sort. And we're not talking about "Most cars", we're talking about S550 Mustangs. And in specific, YOUR S550 Mustang.

Your car isn't continuously connected to the internet, and doesn't stream audio and video. It's a car, not a web-connected entertainment device. Nor are they smart-phones.

Anyways..........update what? You still haven't answered that question.

Sure, SYNC updates via wifi.........if you enable wifi and hook up to it. That's something owners have to do themselves. They have to go into SYNC, enable wifi, scan for wifi, enter the passcode for the wifi found, scan for SYNC updates, and then download the update if there is one available.

It's not something that just "happens" if there's wifi nearby.

But you're claiming that other things like PCMs/ECMs/tunes and such get updated automatically via wifi. I'm absolutely certain that's not true. 100%.

I'm also 100% certain that it doesn't happen "automatically" when a Ford service tech plugs their diagnostic scan tool in. 100% certain.

Last edited:

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red (All original)
Oooooh no. Don't you try and strawman argue this. I never wrote "Most cars will now self update when the car hits a hot spot" I never wrote anything of the sort. And we're not talking about "Most cars", we're talking about S550 Mustangs. And in specific, YOUR S550 Mustang.

My car isn't connected to the internet, and doesn't stream audio and video. It's a car, not web-connected entertainment device. Nor are they smart-phones.

Anyways..........update what? You still haven't answered that question.

Sure, SYNC updates via wifi.........if you enable wifi and hook up to it. That's something owners have to do themselves. They have to go into SYNC, enable wifi, scan for wifi, enter the passcode for the wifi found, then scan for SYNC updates, and then download the update if there is one available.

It's not something that just "happens" if there's wifi nearby.

But now you're claiming other things like PCMs/ECMs/tunes and such get updated automatically via wifi. I'm absolutely certain that's not true.

I'm also 100% certain that it doesn't happen "automatically" when a Ford service tech plugs their diagnostic scan tool in. 100% certain.
Go to your local Ford dealer and ask them. I only hope they give you the answer you want otherwise they’re in for a long day. Seems being right and debating is something you enjoy.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Go to your local Ford dealer and ask them. I only hope they give you the answer you want otherwise they’re in for a long day. Seems being right and debating is something you enjoy.
You know why we're here in this thread? To answer GreyS550's question correctly. Which isn't going to happen by spreading a bunch of incorrect, demonstrably false information.

Sponsored

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You know why we're here in this thread? To answer GreyS550's question correctly. Which isn't going to happen by spreading a bunch of incorrect, demonstrably false information.
Incorrect and demonstrably false information as proven by whom?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Incorrect and demonstrably false information as proven by whom?
Why, me.

Have you not followed the thread? If you're going to comment, you really should read the whole thread and know what you're saying/asking.

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why, me.

Have you not followed the thread? If you're going to comment, you really should read the whole thread and know what you're saying/asking.
So you work for Ford and can confirm the information is wrong?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yeah man my advice, stop responding to him. I’ve seen him posting replies on numerous threads here, 99% of it just negative or sarcastic comments. He knows best about every topic on here, so just don’t keep engaging.
How about we all just report him for disrupting this thread which has now gone totally off topic, as usual.

PS. I just did.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT