Took my tuned car in for servicing

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Dealer didn’t flash the car because they didn’t end up working on the car. Because of my modifications, warranty denied repairs for the leaking valve cover gasket.
Sorry for that! If you like making your hands dirty you can buy the cover and gasket and replace it yourself, should not be a big job.
Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Perhaps some miscommunication here.

Not doing it on Ppurpose, thought you said it's a car from the US imported to Italy.
So if you have access to ETIS, they must know your country of origin. So I assuming
The updates are for the EURO market.

My guy at Vicker Ford says zero updates. I'll PM you my VIN and see what it says on your end.

The car is imported to Italy, yes, but Ford does not knows about it.
  • My S550 is a "Rest Of World" version that is built and designated for export (it's also written on the Window Sticker). I expect some software programming to be also different.
  • My friend S550 is an US S550 that was wrecked, imported by some Lithuanian guy and repaired here. It's injection strategy, emissions requirements etc... are for the US market.
    For example he does not have the GPF whereas mine have.
ETIS knows about my country of origin but for the purpose of these information he does not care. I can change it to US, for instance (and actually it was when I first registered). It doesn't act like a filter for what I see or not.

Having said that... the vast majority of dealers does not want to perform software updates because of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.
But Software Updates are released all the time, just take a look at SSM 45895: SSM 45895.xlsx (nhtsa.gov) . That's specifically for Mustang. As only diagnosis step it prescribe to perform a Software Update. Have you done that routinely, you would have never encountered the malfunction in the first place.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
sorry that the warranty repair was not covered. I'd look deeper into that, especially if your modifications had nothing to do with the valve cover gasket.

Three anecdotal experiences for dealers routinely updating a vehicles programming.

1. My wife brought her Mercedes to the dealer last year for the 50K service. When we picked up the car the service rep told us that they had also reflashed all the computers and downloaded it updates to several of the car systems. We had no complaints or issues that would have required this service. The dealer explained that this was part of their normal routine and in doing so they connected the car to their computer and it checked for the latest software and programming updates. This was done through the internet to Mercedes-Benz Central servers. She has had to have several of the systems updated over the last five years, and every time the system they use goes to central servers operated by Mercedes-Benz. The internet is a wonderful thing.

2. During the first 5 years I owned my Jeep Commander, the dealer would regularly reflash the computer and reprogram the ECU specifically for a stalling and transmission issue. This is significant because my truck did not exhibit any of the complaints and I did not ask for the updates. I will say that the vehicle benefited with better drivability and shifting

3. I have several Moto Guzzi motorcycles. They have a system called PADs that can and does the same as above. Most significantly their diagnostic tool is connected to the central piano server that checks ensure that the ECU Map has not been tampered with. Many of us are running custom tunes on our bikes and while under warranty will reload the factory map before bringing it into service. In 2015 I discovered the hard way that they could tell that I had loaded a custom map and then reloaded the factory map before bringing it in. Thankfully I did not need any warranty work because it would have been declined.

My car hasn't seen the dealer since I drove it off the lot in 2020 so I don't have any experience with Ford especially because this is the first Ford vehicle I've ever owned. I do have to bring it in for the PCM reflash related to the backup camera. I do however highly doubt that the shaved ape mechanics working at dealerships are walking around with a pocket scan tool with every potential tune or programming onboard. They will plug the car in, likely will auto detect the vehicle through its electronic in and connect to the car systems through the internet to central Ford servers. This is the best and most efficient way to keep dealers best equipped with the most current programming for all of the car systems.

Random memory thought, before I took the car from the dealer on purchase, they updated the entertainment system to sync 3. How? By connecting it to the internet through the ECU port. Fact is manufacturers are always releasing software updates for vehicles. One of the detriments to not bring in your car to a dealer is you will not have the most updated software. Myself personally, unless I have a problem I'd rather work on the car myself and not let the dealer touch it.

One final point... Don't feed the trolls 🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
UPDATE: I spoke with one of the techs at my dealership and he knows the warranty company pretty well. He told me that it was denied probably because of how small of a repair it was. He said if this was a bigger project, and valve cover gaskets were thrown into the repair as well, it probably would get approved, even with the modifications.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Not on a mustang, but I did have my Ram flashed against my request. There was an "update" that added "auto-park feature" that I specifically told them I did not want. Basically, if it is in gear, door open and foot off the brake, it slams the truck in park once you get moving. A pain in the butt when backing up to a trailer or moving the truck a few feet in the driveway. Work order said not to update it, completed work order said it wasn't updated. First time I went to move the truck in the driveway and it slammed itself into park, it took me a few minutes to realize what happened. And they can't undo it, so I was forced to live with it. It was not documented that it was done, so I kept getting reminders that I needed the "update".

So yes, it can and does happen.
Had that same “feature” on my jeep JT. Dumbest thing ever on anything used off road. I used a seatbelt extender to fool it.

Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1

Having said that... the vast majority of dealers does not want to perform software updates because of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.
The vast majority of dealers don't want to do random updates because they are specifically directed by Ford not to and because Ford will not be paying the bill (probably because they told them not to do it in the first place). We learned this the hard way. Many years ago we were encouraging customers to pay us to install the latest updates (smartphone syndrome). One particular Escape would no longer idle correctly after the PCM calibration update. Turns out that the update was to address a redesigned throttle body. At the time, I didn't know how to revert back to the prior calibration. Guess who paid $500 for the new throttle body.....

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The car is imported to Italy, yes, but Ford does not knows about it.
  • My S550 is a "Rest Of World" version that is built and designated for export (it's also written on the Window Sticker). I expect some software programming to be also different.
  • My friend S550 is an US S550 that was wrecked, imported by some Lithuanian guy and repaired here. It's injection strategy, emissions requirements etc... are for the US market.
    For example he does not have the GPF whereas mine have.
ETIS knows about my country of origin but for the purpose of these information he does not care. I can change it to US, for instance (and actually it was when I first registered). It doesn't act like a filter for what I see or not.

But Software Updates are released all the time, just take a look at SSM 45895: SSM 45895.xlsx (nhtsa.gov) . That's specifically for Mustang. As only diagnosis step it prescribe to perform a Software Update. Have you done that routinely, you would have never encountered the malfunction in the first place.
Thanks for the explanation. And thanks for checking my car.
Seems I only have PSCM & RCM updates.

1678861956752.png

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
UPDATE: I spoke with one of the techs at my dealership and he knows the warranty company pretty well. He told me that it was denied probably because of how small of a repair it was. He said if this was a bigger project, and valve cover gaskets were thrown into the repair as well, it probably would get approved, even with the modifications.
So a modified, tuned used car with a 3rd party warranty. Of course it was going to be refused. Why are we even discussing this?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So a modified, tuned used car with a 3rd party warranty. Of course it was going to be refused. Why are we even discussing this?
You just robbed kingkona of his opportunity to preen and gloat.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Last edited:

Racer5973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I brought in my mustang into ford to get the valve cover gaskets replaced. One side started leaking oil. I’m fixing it under warranty. The car is tuned though and It has headers and CAI.

My performance tune also includes a tune for the JLT CAI. What are the dangers of them flashing it back to stock and test driving it after? Will the MAF sensor blow and that’s it, or would it cause more damage?

Also could warranty deny repairs for the gaskets because the engine has headers and intake? My guess would be no because the valve covers never got messed with or modified.
Should not be run without the tune. VMP told me it could cause damage.
Sponsored