Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Goodyear Supercar 3
- Amazing grip for a 220tw tire. Great for entry level competition and HPDE. I know plenty of people who run these in street class. Last a pretty decent while. Will get greasy after a few hot laps but then again, everything does. Fairly affordable as well.

Hankook RS4
- One of the golden tires for HPDE. Consistent, decently fast, lasts forever. The main buying point for this tire is the life. Unfortunately, this is being phased out as it's an older tire. They are hard to find

Nitto NT01
- Very similar to RS4. Great grip and lasts forever. Can be expensive in 19" though and also hard to find. Best serious learner tire out there

Bridgestone RE71R
- The old go-to autox and track tire. This tire broke several records. It's seriously fast (not quite to the 3R level though). Sadly, it's being phased out as well. It's replacement should be great!

Falken RT660
- Very similar to the RE71R, actually tested it against the RE71R. Very fast, life is typical of an aggressive 200tw tire. Decent price range. Good for autox and sticky for track but will get greasy as well

BFGoodrich Rival S 1.5
- Another great option for fast but predictable tire. Great to learn on and decently priced. Very similar to the supercar 3 in terms of grip and longevity

Michelin Cup 2
- Very fast, does not last long at all, extremely over priced. Nearly $500 a tire for a 305/30/19....that's Hoosier price level. No idea why anyone buys this tire.

Goodyear Supercar 3R
- THE FASTEST STREET LEGAL TIRE OUT THERE. A bit faster than the Cup 2 and costs $200 less. Longevity is atrocious and almost zero grip when cold but man when these warm up, they stick like glue. If you push the car hard, you'll get maybe a couple weekends out of them

Yoko A052
- Spec tire for Global Time Attack. Extremely fast but not quite as fast as the 3R. Life is slightly better than 3R. Recently added 19" sizes so a great option

Hoosier A7
- not street legal but the fastest tire you can buy. 2nd hand Michelin and Pirelli slicks obviously last longer but I think the A7 is slightly faster

Toyo RR
- Also not really street legal and kind of slow for a slick. Similar in speed to the supercar 3, probably a bit faster. Spec tire for most NASA classes. The perk here is you can get a set of 295/30/19 for under $1000

There's definitely more out there but these are the major hitters and what you'll mostly see at tracks
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Goodyear Supercar 3
- Amazing grip for a 240tw tire. Great for entry level competition and HPDE. I know plenty of people who run these in street class. Last a pretty decent while. Will get greasy after a few hot laps but then again, everything does. Fairly affordable as well.

Hankook RS4
- One of the golden tires for HPDE. Consistent, decently fast, lasts forever. The main buying point for this tire is the life. Unfortunately, this is being phased out as it's an older tire. They are hard to find

Nitto NT01
- Very similar to RS4. Great grip and lasts forever. Can be expensive in 19" though and also hard to find. Best serious learner tire out there

Bridgestone RE71R
- The old go-to autox and track tire. This tire broke several records. It's seriously fast (not quite to the 3R level though). Sadly, it's being phased out as well. It's replacement should be great!

Falken RT660
- Very similar to the RE71R, actually tested it against the RE71R. Very fast, life is typical of an aggressive 200tw tire. Decent price range. Good for autox and sticky for track but will get greasy as well

BFGoodrich Rival S 1.5
- Another great option for fast but predictable tire. Great to learn on and decently priced. Very similar to the supercar 3 in terms of grip and longevity

Michelin Cup 2
- Very fast, does not last long at all, extremely over priced. Nearly $500 a tire for a 305/30/19....that's Hoosier price level. No idea why anyone buys this tire.

Goodyear Supercar 3R
- THE FASTEST STREET LEGAL TIRE OUT THERE. A bit faster than the Cup 2 and costs $200 less. Longevity is atrocious and almost zero grip when cold but man when these warm up, they stick like glue. If you push the car hard, you'll get maybe a couple weekends out of them

Yoko A052
- Spec tire for Global Time Attack. Extremely fast but not quite as fast as the 3R. Life is slightly better than 3R. Recently added 19" sizes so a great option

Hoosier A7
- not street legal but the fastest tire you can buy. 2nd hand Michelin and Pirelli slicks obviously last longer but I think the A7 is slightly faster

Toyo RR
- Also not really street legal and kind of slow for a slick. Similar in speed to the supercar 3, probably a bit faster. Spec tire for most NASA classes. The perk here is you can get a set of 295/30/19 for under $1000

There's definitely more out there but these are the major hitters and what you'll mostly see at tracks
This is informative so thank you. I am on Firehawk Indy 500s and I've bought them for years. They are consistent in performance but I from what I've read, there appears to be better tires out there.

I want to try BF Goodrich or Goodyear. Not to get into politics but I am trying not to buy Goodyear because of the last presidential election. Anyways, I just keep reading that they're such a bargain. I want to drop Firestone but I just have not comitted yet.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Goodyear Supercar 3
- Amazing grip for a 240tw tire. Great for entry level competition and HPDE. I know plenty of people who run these in street class. Last a pretty decent while. Will get greasy after a few hot laps but then again, everything does. Fairly affordable as well.

Hankook RS4

Nitto NT01

Bridgestone RE71R

Falken RT660

BFGoodrich Rival S 1.5

Michelin Cup 2

Goodyear Supercar 3R

Yoko A052

Hoosier A7

Toyo RR

Goodyear Super Car 3 does not fit Mustang 2016.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What size(s) are you looking for? 3's come in PP sizes as well as other sizes that are 285 or wider.

If you're talking about the 3R's, you'd be on the hook for wheels as well, but it'd still be do-able.

Norm

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, they absolutely do. As long as you buy the right sizes, literally any tire will fit. I have them in 305/30/19 as my track tire right now with no issues. They are the OEM tire for Camaros and the two cars are pretty darn similar.

Also, I did not include Indy 500's and Michelin PS4S as neither are viable track tires. The PS4S are OK for a complete beginner but they really don't have much lateral grip and get greasy fast. The Indy 500's have even less grip than PS4S

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What size(s) are you looking for? 3's come in PP sizes as well as other sizes that are 285 or wider.

If you're talking about the 3R's, you'd be on the hook for wheels as well, but it'd still be do-able.

Norm
255 and 275 because I am on stock PP1 wheels. If I ever get good enough at track days, 18" APEX will be what I get since it was recommended. Not sure how much of a difference going down to 18" wheels would make to be honest.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, they absolutely do. As long as you buy the right sizes, literally any tire will fit. I have them in 305/30/19 as my track tire right now with no issues. They are the OEM tire for Camaros and the two cars are pretty darn similar.

Also, I did not include Indy 500's and Michelin PS4S as neither are viable track tires. The PS4S are OK for a complete beginner but they really don't have much lateral grip and get greasy fast. The Indy 500's have even less grip than PS4S
The Goodyear website said it doesn't fit me and the same goes for the tire shop in Costco. Firestone said they can get their hands on any tire for me.

Now Tire Rack does disagree with you. They mentioned Indy 500s were the best when they made debute and by today's standards, they are competent. Based on what I read, they are the best in that price range.

Still, I'd like to experience Geram tires. How can German engineering wizardary go wrong?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Goodyear website said it doesn't fit me and the same goes for the tire shop in Costco. Firestone said they can get their hands on any tire for me.

Now Tire Rack does disagree with you. They mentioned Indy 500s were the best when they made debute and by today's standards, they are competent. Based on what I read, they are the best in that price range.

Still, I'd like to experience Geram tires. How can German engineering wizardary go wrong?
1633364063953.png

These are the sizes in 19" for the Supercar 3, straight from Tire Rack. These are the exact OEM PP tire sizes........use common sense and logic rather than believing what other people tell you.

Indy 500's might be the best for the price (they are cheap) and possibly the best for a 340tw tire but compared to a competitive, 200tw, track tire, they are slow garbage. You could absolutely use them to practice on and learn driving dynamics, learn lines, ect, but they are very far from a "track tire"

Once you start trying other tires, it will all become very apparent to you.
I started on OEM PS4S tires and I thought they were great on track. Then I switched to some Bridgestone 240tw tires for my track set. I immediately noticed the improvement in grip. Later on, my street tires (PS4S) corded due to bad alignment and I replaced them with Indy 500's. Again, I immediately noticed the decline in grip even over the PS4S tires.
Once again, I stepped up later on and got a 305 set of supercar 3's and I could carry 20mph faster in every turn. Now I have slicks in my garage waiting to go on

Last edited:
OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1633364063953.png

These are the sizes in 19" for the Supercar 3, straight from Tire Rack. These are the exact OEM PP tire sizes........use common sense and logic rather than believing what other people tell you.

Indy 500's might be the best for the price (they are cheap) and possibly the best for a 340tw tire but compared to a competitive, 200tw, track tire, they are slow garbage. You could absolutely use them to practice on and learn driving dynamics, learn lines, ect, but they are very far from a "track tire"

Once you start trying other tires, it will all become very apparent to you.
I started on OEM PS4S tires and I thought they were great on track. Then I switched to some Bridgestone 240tw tires for my track set. I immediately noticed the improvement in grip. Later on, my street tires (PS4S) corded due to bad alignment and I replaced them with Indy 500's. Again, I immediately noticed the decline in grip even over the PS4S tires.
Once again, I stepped up later on and got a 305 set of supercar 3's and I could carry 20mph faster in every turn. Now I have slicks in my garage waiting to go on
I'm not a mechanic nor do I have the equipment to change tires so if a shop won't do it, then what can I do? I don't own a truck to ship it home and get it over.

I'm definitely going to look into some 200tw and see how they handle next season.

Screenshot_20211004-105641~2.png

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I’m confused, what won’t a shop do? I’ve brought impossible tires to shops and they still give it a shot. Loose tires seem to be a better approach than bringing entire cars.

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I'm not a mechanic nor do I have the equipment to change tires so if a shop won't do it, then what can I do? I don't own a truck to ship it home and get it over.

I'm definitely going to look into some 200tw and see how they handle next season.

Just about every gas station that has repair facilities can mount tires for you.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

By all means, do what suits you and your life best but I would highly recommend watching some YouTube videos on basic maintenance. $250 can get you a jack, jack stands, torque wrench, and a breaker bar. That's all you need to change wheels. And you can fit all of that and 4 wheels/tires in a mustang. I do it every time I go to the track.

I like working on cars but it's also a massive cost savings. I couldn't afford to do what I do as a hobby if I went to a shop for everything

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just about every gas station that has repair facilities can mount tires for you.
Interesting. May be worth the extra bucks or brush up on Spanish and take it to a llantera.

Thanks Mom and Dad for being from Mexican and not teaching me Spanish..
Sponsored