stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I broke down and bought some 18x10 wheels for dedicated track use and now need to pick some tires.

I'm open to just about anything - I'm not concerned with wet or street driving, but I don't want to be buying new tires after 4 track days either if I can help it.

Recommendations?
Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I was recommended NT01s from my buddies who track their 996 GT3 and FD RX7 religiously on them as their street tires/warm up tires, when they aren't running slicks.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Nitto NT01, Toyo R888, Michelin PSS, Bridgestone RE11 in 275/40/18 was what I was thinking for you. There's also the Kumho PS91 but I don't think that is too much of a dry day HPDE tire.

Ideally you want to look for a tire with 9.5-10" treadwidth and diameter in the 26-27.x" range. Most of the tires above have treadwidths a tick over 10" but there really isn't anything else in that range in 18" suitable for a Mustang.

You could stuff a 295/40/18 Hoosier R7 on those wheels for an ultimate grip setup.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
I broke down and bought some 18x10 wheels for dedicated track use and now need to pick some tires.

I'm open to just about anything - I'm not concerned with wet or street driving, but I don't want to be buying new tires after 4 track days either if I can help it.

Recommendations?
What wheels did you get? And what is your budget on tires? Track tires and longevity usually don't go together :mad:

What's your suspension set-up? One thing I noticed with a lot of 18" "max performace" tires, they are 35 series, so it really makes the 3.73 gears very short (For instance a 275/35/18 is about 26.7" overall diameter vs Stock ~27.7. Almost an inch shorter diameter)

OP
OP
stoli

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
What wheels did you get? And what is your budget on tires? Track tires and longevity usually don't go together :mad:

What's your suspension set-up?
Forgestar CF5
Budget <$400 per

Suspension is just Ford Racing Track Struts, Steeda Linear springs, Vorshlag camber plates, and some BMR vertical links and irs lockouts.

Longevity is relative; If I can get 8 track days vs 4, I'd prefer the 8. :)

Nitto NT01, Toyo R888, Michelin PSS, Bridgestone RE11 in 275/40/18 was what I was thinking for you. There's also the Kumho PS91 but I don't think that is too much of a dry day HPDE tire.

Ideally you want to look for a tire with 9.5-10" treadwidth and diameter in the 26-27.x" range. Most of the tires above have treadwidths a tick over 10" but there really isn't anything else in that range in 18" suitable for a Mustang.

You could stuff a 295/40/18 Hoosier R7 on those wheels for an ultimate grip setup.
I've been running the PSS and want something a good bit better. I'm leaning towards the R7's.

Last edited:

Sponsored

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Forgestar CF5
Budget <$400 per

Suspension is just Ford Racing Track Struts, Steeda Linear springs, Vorshlag camber plates, and some BMR vertical links and irs lockouts.

Longevity is relative; If I can get 8 track days vs 4, I'd prefer the 8. :)

I've been running the PSS and want something a good bit better. I'm leaning towards the R7's.
A set of these would be nice and cheap (probably only last 2 events though). Come to think of it, I might grab a set of these too ;) http://www.ebay.com/itm/252671196232?ul_noapp=true

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
NT01 is known for heat cycle stability with good performance from first session until last corded session. I have not tried a recent R888R to compare -wish I had more wheels, money n storage space... lol

Qualifying tires might be better used with warmers for autocross or tt. For a 20-30 minute session... might be more then they were intended for but sounds interesting... do it and post up! Ill donate $20 if we get a 20 min video report.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
NT01 is known for heat cycle stability with good performance from first session until last corded session. I have not tried a recent R888R to compare -wish I had more wheels, money n storage space... lol

Qualifying tires might be better used with warmers for autocross or tt. For a 20-30 minute session... might be more then they were intended for but sounds interesting... do it and post up! Ill donate $20 if we get a 20 min video report.
Agree with the NT-01, a 275/40/18 could be a good option that should last a while with the right suspension settings and rotations.

Pirelli Qualy tires: Thinking about it! At about $500 for a set shipped its not bad, but may only last 1 trackday:eyebulge: I've used a couple sets of continental slicks, and they lasted quite a while (obviously different style racing) but they were a good balance between grip and durability.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

Recommendations?
I hope you setup the wheels so the offsets front to rear are the same?

I love the NT01 and specifically the 305/35/18 square is the way to go. Being able to move the tire front to rear is the secret to getting a few extra sessions out of them. I am at about 35 heat cycles on the set I ran last year for all my testing and I think I can get another day or two out of them before they cord. Grip levels are at there best around the 6-8th heat cycle then they stay fairly consistent till they are corded with a slight drop off after 35-40 cycles. YMMV but taking the time to dial in the temps with a tire pyro will let you get the most out of any tire.

The NT01 is a little bit different then most DOT R-Comp tires. It likes to be thrown into a corner, you have to push it a little harder than you would think you should to get the most out of it. It suits my driving style but if your goal is to be supper smooth you will not get the most out of the tire. Still for the grip level and durability the NT01 it is a great value for HPDE work.

The P-Zero in the Ebay add may have been used for qualifying but they are not a qualifying tire, the add states compound DH, that is the hardest of of four available compounds, but should make a decent HPDE tire if you want to try something new without spending a bunch of cash on a new set.

Dave

Sponsored
OP
OP
stoli

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I hope you setup the wheels so the offsets front to rear are the same?

I love the NT01 and specifically the 305/35/18 square is the way to go. Being able to move the tire front to rear is the secret to getting a few extra sessions out of them. I am at about 35 heat cycles on the set I ran last year for all my testing and I think I can get another day or two out of them before they cord. Grip levels are at there best around the 6-8th heat cycle then they stay fairly consistent till they are corded with a slight drop off after 35-40 cycles. YMMV but taking the time to dial in the temps with a tire pyro will let you get the most out of any tire.

The NT01 is a little bit different then most DOT R-Comp tires. It likes to be thrown into a corner, you have to push it a little harder than you would think you should to get the most out of it. It suits my driving style but if your goal is to be supper smooth you will not get the most out of the tire. Still for the grip level and durability the NT01 it is a great value for HPDE work.

The P-Zero in the Ebay add may have been used for qualifying but they are not a qualifying tire, the add states compound DH, that is the hardest of of four available compounds, but should make a decent HPDE tire if you want to try something new without spending a bunch of cash on a new set.

Dave
They are all the same offset - a true square setup was a must. With a 10" being the minimum size for the 305 do you see any excess roll or are they stiff enough to not be impacted?

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
They are all the same offset - a true square setup was a must. With a 10" being the minimum size for the 305 do you see any excess roll or are they stiff enough to not be impacted?
My tires wear perfect and tire roll is usually cased by camber not being setup correctly. Mine are on 10" Apex but a 10.5" would likely be the best choice, however the 10" and 305 have had no problems at all.

Dave

Earlj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt, 2008 Z06
I have a set of Forgestar CF5 19x11 coming and was trying to decide between the R888R 295 and the Nto1 305.

Sounds like I will go with the nitt0 305!!!
Sponsored