Sponsored

Thoughts on the 2023 Z06?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
My hometown dealer was recently acquired by Morries Automotive. They offer a lifetime powertrain warranty unlimited mile and 15 year, 999,999 mile bumper to bumper warranty for any vehicle they sell. I recently bought a 5.0 V8 2021 F-150 and they told me about this warranty. I said BS, let me see the fine print (I'm an attorney). Sure as shit, they do. The GM was standing right there, I said, so if I buy a new GT500 or even the new Z06 that is coming out, and in 20 years, I need a new motor, it's covered? They said yes. The warranty for my truck was $3K, and anything I don't use is prorated back to me when I sell it.
Pretty incredible deal and very hard to turn down especially after you have done all of your due diligence confirming their terrific offer.

Purchasing a 2022 GT500 or a 2023 Z06 under that scenario would simply be outstanding!

Getting back to the 2023 Corvette Z06 I sincerely hope that Chevrolet has absolutely no issues with their exotic 5.5L FPC engine with respect to long term durability/reliability as it will be a great deal of fun watching this supercar unfold and provide all of us with some outstanding performance results starting sometime next Fall.

Whatever the case I will predict that the 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06/Z07 will be the eventual winner of the 2023 Road & Track PCOTY.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
GM is giving Ford a compliment by following their lead from over 5 years ago and building a properly good non pushrod performance engine.
Oh really ???
z1989-chevrolet-corvette-zr-1-57-liter-v-8-engine-photo-525370-s-986x603.jpg

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Thanks to Ewheels and s2ms for posting those great reads, with a lot of nice insights :thumbsup:

Interesting (and somewhat expected) that GM also had issues with oil filters vibrating off prototype engines during development. I wonder how much GM kept tabs on some of the same issues Ford was dealing with on the Voodoo, and having all those lessons factored in. Because it seems that the oil filters spinning off caught them off guard - 'Juechter even said that early prototypes were so violent, oil filters were spinning off during testing. "It was like there were ghosts in the machine..." '
Also will be interesting to see if GM uses a canister-style filter on this LT6 engine as well.
Based on this C&D article I just read it looks like GM will be using a cartridge filter. Not sure why it caught them off guard, guess they didn't get the memo...

"Flat-plane cranks aren't a perfect solution, however. (Owners of Ford's Mustang Shelby GT350, with its high-revving 5.2-liter V-8, will relate.) They shake - a lot. So much that during LT6 development, an oil filter backed itself off on a test stand. Engineers suspected a tech hadn't tightened it, but video evidence uncovered no wrongdoing. The solution was to switch from a screw-on to a cartridge filter."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...ium=email&date=102821&utm_campaign=nl25410496

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Based on this C&D article I just read it looks like GM will be using a cartridge filter. Not sure why it caught them off guard, guess they didn't get the memo...

"Flat-plane cranks aren't a perfect solution, however. (Owners of Ford's Mustang Shelby GT350, with its high-revving 5.2-liter V-8, will relate.) They shake - a lot. So much that during LT6 development, an oil filter backed itself off on a test stand. Engineers suspected a tech hadn't tightened it, but video evidence uncovered no wrongdoing. The solution was to switch from a screw-on to a cartridge filter."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...ium=email&date=102821&utm_campaign=nl25410496
Another Excellent find :thumbsup:
You're right though - the engineers and techs working on the LT6 were probably so heads-down in it that they may have not tried to look into some of the voodoo issues. Or, if they did, they didn't dig enough and stopped at a certain point, thinking that their own R&D cycle would catch things they were facing - my only guess.

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I simply don't want it. My '17 Z was a PITA to keep planted. The rear end would come out in a heartbeat. Even after having attended the school at Spring Mountain, still had to be careful. It's going to be interesting to see how many get wrecked once they are on the street.
I think prognosticating about the C8 ZO6 based on the C7 ZO6 is folly.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Lets see what happens if they actually do start showing up a dealers next year. With these chip shortages, wouldn't suprise me if it causes delays of shipping, like what has just occurred with the 2021 GT500's.
Plus, when it's out, in the first few years, that's when you see all the bugs in the design start showing up. Just like the early years of the GT350.
Lots of anticipating and speculating right now.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
If Chevy builds it, they will come.

It will certainly be an accomplishment to see one at dealership given the C8 production dynamics, Covid and supply chain.

Chevy May be it’s biggest problem for the C8Z.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Here is a dose of reality for Ford… they cancel production of the 5.2L, 526hp FPC GT350…the crown jewel of the normally aspirated Mustang platform…Chevy introduces a new C8 Z06 with a FPC 5.5L, 670hp engine…up roughly 140hp over the GT350’s 5.2L… Ford counters by dropping 10hp from across their Mustang line up. Ouch.
He is a dose of reality, Ford could care less. The 10 hp is for a emissions change. All Ford cars about is EVs. The dose of reality is for all of us
Oh really ???
z1989-chevrolet-corvette-zr-1-57-liter-v-8-engine-photo-525370-s-986x603.jpg
Oh look, A mercury Engine

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
and when you sell 10,000/yr (twice Ford could muster) you tend to make sure the damn thing isn't in the shop all the time. Anyone want to bet they won't have the litany of infant mortality and failures in heat management that Voodoo is known for?

It's entirely possible for GM to cut some corner in mass production and totally screw it up. But when you can charge 15-20k more than GT350, that buys you the luxury of doing some actual QC and doing things 'righter'. Plus with a race program, they've got actual testing which Ford had zilch on Voodoo launch.
New cars coming out must be exciting for you. You get to go into even more forums for cars you don't own and poo poo everything. Must be a blast at parties.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Gotta love it asking for posts on a Ford forum about a GM vehicle. There will be endless negative posts. Guess I'll go over to my GM forum and ask about the Ford GT350 and read endless negative posts about them. 🙂
Sponsored