N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Very true. Incorrect thinking on my part. DOHC are usually heavier actually.
Z06 cams are hollow. Everything about that engine is lightweight. including the titanium connecting rods.
Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Give this man his camry back.
Sadly, he is right. Very few will truly be able to test the cars limits. I've had 3. They were a blast to drive. Now, with my driving skills diminished because of age and health, I will simply enjoy my 5.0.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Yep, the GT350 engine and even the Coyote were always budget attempts constrained by having to use modular architecture and tooling. Nothing wrong with that of course, since it keeps costs down. But this is what happens when GM throws money at a problem.
Sounds like you have this whole 5.5L FPC engine issue all signed, sealed and delivered without even Chevrolet even haven sold a single vehicle.

Over the years I have seen other higher end automotive manufacturers putting a great deal of money and R&D into their engines and have watched their engines fail due to one aspect or another once they get onto the street and track.

Did Chevrolet not have a great deal of R&D into some of their previous engines and ended up with heat soak issues that should have never taken place?

I am not suggesting that the 5.5L FPC engine will have any issues but we certainly have to wait and see how this all goes once Chevrolet gets many of these FPC engines in the real work environment whereby many enthusiasts start wringing them out at their 8,600 RPM redline.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
I want...very much want! Can't afford so I guess I'll just look forward to seeing them in the parking lot outside of IMSA races in the designated Corvette section.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I want...very much want! Can't afford so I guess I'll just look forward to seeing them in the parking lot outside of IMSA races in the designated Corvette section.
if you come to our Fairfax C&C you'll see one shortly after they start shipping. We have people with serious $$$$ as well as repeat Corvette C7 ZR1 owners and the like.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
if you come to our Fairfax C&C you'll see one shortly after they start shipping. We have people with serious $$$$ as well as repeat Corvette C7 ZR1 owners and the like.
Any C8 Z06's?
1635389638471.png

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I agree they should have done the marketing on c8 as the new rebirth Corvair
Apparently my mom had a Corvair and still raves about it; despite her dementia. 😂

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
1635391319787.png

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sounds like you have this whole 5.5L FPC engine issue all signed, sealed and delivered without even Chevrolet even haven sold a single vehicle.

Over the years I have seen other higher end automotive manufacturers putting a great deal of money and R&D into their engines and have watched their engines fail due to one aspect or another once they get onto the street and track.

Did Chevrolet not have a great deal of R&D into some of their previous engines and ended up with heat soak issues that should have never taken place?

I am not suggesting that the 5.5L FPC engine will have any issues but we certainly have to wait and see how this all goes once Chevrolet gets many of these FPC engines in the real work environment whereby many enthusiasts start wringing them out at their 8,600 RPM redline.
I'm as curious as you if they can deliver a reliable product. But I'm just talking about the technical aspect of how they got so much power. There was no budget limit for them or tooling limit, everything is from scratch.

To give them credit, a version of this engine has been racing in the C8R for almost 2 years now.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
and when you sell 10,000/yr (twice Ford could muster) you tend to make sure the damn thing isn't in the shop all the time. Anyone want to bet they won't have the litany of infant mortality and failures in heat management that Voodoo is known for?

It's entirely possible for GM to cut some corner in mass production and totally screw it up. But when you can charge 15-20k more than GT350, that buys you the luxury of doing some actual QC and doing things 'righter'. Plus with a race program, they've got actual testing which Ford had zilch on Voodoo launch.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Sadly, he is right. Very few will truly be able to test the cars limits. I've had 3. They were a blast to drive. Now, with my driving skills diminished because of age and health, I will simply enjoy my 5.0.
I think the new zo6 is going to offer a lot more speed without a lot of skill. It being mid engine should allow it to hook really well. I don’t think it’s going to be easy to push the car to it’s limit in handling and turns. But it is probably going to be easy as hell to stomp on the gas and go straight.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I'm as curious as you if they can deliver a reliable product. But I'm just talking about the technical aspect of how they got so much power. There was no budget limit for them or tooling limit, everything is from scratch.

To give them credit, a version of this engine has been racing in the C8R for almost 2 years now.
The purpose built and hand built race engine in the C8R that launched a couple of years ago is not near as exotic as the new mass produced 5.5L engine that will come in the new Z06 which is totally unproven and remains to be seen in the real world as to how it holds up.

Chevrolet thought that they had it all figured out with the 7th generation Z06 and as you may or may not know there were not one but two Class-Action Lawsuits levied against General Motors with GM losing the first Class-Action Lawsuit due to engine cooling issues on the Z06 and not only at the track but in some cases on the street. Hate to be one of the 30,000 owners of that Z06 model and trying to sell it after some ownership time.

A second Class-Action Lawsuit was levied against the same Z06 model whereby some wheels were faulty and started to crack and warp and believe that lawsuit is ongoing.

Any automotive manufacturer can make big power but when you start getting into mass produced engines that develop close to 700 HP and are revving up to 8,600 RPM there is a big difference between a hand built race engine and a mass produced engine for the masses which will certainly be subject to all kinds of abuse and unprofessional behavior.

I hope that all goes well for Chevrolet with this exotic 5.5L FPC engine and the Z06/Z07 models but until we see hundreds of thousands of miles under its belt and in real world conditions the jury is still out.
Sponsored