The "what things weigh thread."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFarms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Hi Everyone! This is my first post to the forum although I've been going to this site daily for info/updates. Here is some more info for this thread if it's not already posted: Stock 18" OEM Wheel (no tire) 25.4 Lbs Hope that helped!
Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Hi Everyone! This is my first post to the forum although I've been going to this site daily for info/updates. Here is some more info for this thread if it's not already posted: Stock 18" OEM Wheel (no tire) 25.4 Lbs Hope that helped!
Good 1st post. :thumbsup:

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
From my 2016 Ecoboost using the UPS Scale at work:

34.32 LBS = S550 Factory 18" Temporary Spare (Maxis T155/60R18 107M tire on aluminum wheel).
6.16 LBS = Jack, Handle & Mounting Hardware
------------
40.48 LBS. total

I have no clue what the std. Air Pump weighs (you should subtract this weight from above if you want to know what the Temp Spare option adds to vehicle weight).

Doug
Thanks for the info, Doug; It's much appreciated.

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Quick question for anyone that knows. Are the batteries listed here, which are wayyy lighter than the stock battery, suitable for daily driving needs or are these only suitable for racing applications?

OEM Battery: 31.31lbs
Deka ETX18 - 17.67lbs
Anti-Gravity YTX12-24: 5lbs
Anti-Gravity YTX12-20: 4.5lbs
Anti-Gravity YTX12-16: 4lbs

Same cold cranking amps and such as an OEM battery? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I use the Deka for DD and its perfect

Decided to try out the anti gravity "16 cell" and ive put 5500 miles on it in a few months and its seeming to be struggling on cold starts all of the sudden.

Sponsored

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I use the Deka for DD and its perfect

Decided to try out the anti gravity "16 cell" and ive put 5500 miles on it in a few months and its seeming to be struggling on cold starts all of the sudden.
Thanks for the info. :)

I noticed that you are in Florida so how does the Deka behave on cold startups? Not that it really gets that cold down there but at least I can get an idea. I'm in Jersey and our winters can get below zero so I'm just worried that it may not be up to the task.

Also, from pictures I've seen of it, the terminals do not appear to match anything I've ever seen before. Did you modify yours?

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
You have to get an sae terminal kit.

Bolts onto the battery posts.

As for the other stuff. I dunno about all that cold weather stuff. Haha

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You have to get an sae terminal kit.

Bolts onto the battery posts.

As for the other stuff. I dunno about all that cold weather stuff. Haha
Haha, yeah I figured as much. You guys are warm and toasty all year long; Don't know how you put up with it. :shrug::D

In any case, thanks again for the info.

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Adding a few weights since I didn't see them in the OP.

Stock PP frt sway bar (with integrated brackets): 14.5lbs
FRPP track pack frt sway bar with brackets: 15.5lbs
(NOTE neither includes weight of end links)

Stock resonator "suitcase": 17lbs
CJPP cheapo H-pipe to replace suitcase: 10lbs (11lbs if you use their clamps)

BTW, I weighed my stock PP driveshaft at 34lbs, so it's possible Ford has lightened the assembly for the newer models (mine is a '17) maybe to help the vibration issues many have. Both the shaftmasters and dynotech 1-piece aluminum shafts each weighed 18lbs on the same scale.

TSW Bathurst 19x9.5: 20.5lbs

Last edited:

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Thanks for the info. :)

I noticed that you are in Florida so how does the Deka behave on cold startups? Not that it really gets that cold down there but at least I can get an idea. I'm in Jersey and our winters can get below zero so I'm just worried that it may not be up to the task.

Also, from pictures I've seen of it, the terminals do not appear to match anything I've ever seen before. Did you modify yours?
I have had the Deka in my car for a little while now and have not had any issues so far. I do plan on swapping the stock battery back in when the winter month come though. I have not seen small batteries fair well when the going gets tough. The problem with the super light lithium batts is that they require special charging to make sure they are charged properly and if they are run low it will ruin them and even cause them to catch fire!! You have to be very careful with any lithium polymer batteries. Tons of power from a very small and lightweight source but they need voltage monitoring and careful charging to maintain them. Its just not practical for most except for maybe a full time track car. Amazon sells the Deka for about $80 and they have the SAE terminals as well cheap. The lithium batts are around $400 or so and would be an expensive mistake if you let them get to low.

Hold downs are a pain though. I tried to find a good lightweight option and ended up just wedging some wood in to hold it in the battery box. The Deka batt does not have the ridge at the bottom to work with the factory hold down. It is hard to find any hold downs the right size for a small battery. All the ones I found are way to big or the tray does not fit in our batt box. The best method may be just using a kit that just has metal guides that screw to the batt box and a nylon adjustable strap to loop over the battery with a release buckle.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Did some updating guys. Thanks for the input.
[MENTION=29059]lugz[/MENTION] I am curious as to why your resonator weight came in significantly less than most? Most people reports a solid 20+lbs for the resonator.

I put 17 - but mentioned others reports of 22-23. I will eventually weight mine to see what I get.

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
@lugz I am curious as to why your resonator weight came in significantly less than most? Most people reports a solid 20+lbs for the resonator.
Wouldn't be the first time I made a mistake, so went back and re-measured just now: 17lbs. Dimensions I have are 22.5" long seam to seam, ~9.75" wide and about 2.875" thick (hard to measure since it has a bulge, snicker.) As there are some sections of pipe included, the total cut to cut length is 30.5". If someone cut off more pipe with their suitcase, it would weigh more, obviously. Think Ford saved a few pounds with a smaller resonator?

Grabbed a few more weights while I had the scale out...
stock PP rear sway bar: 4.5lbs
stock assembled PP frt strut with spring: 19lbs
stock PP rear shock with upper mount: 4.5lbs
stock PP rear spring: 8.5lbs

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Just FYI, weighed my GT on the track scale at Memphis: 3660lbs. When adjusted for the things I've changed, removed floor mats, pump, etc, it's within 3-4lbs of the BMR '15 Base PP GT in the OP probably the diffference in amt of gas in the tank, so it's not like Ford put the '17 on some kind of miracle diet.

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have had the Deka in my car for a little while now and have not had any issues so far. I do plan on swapping the stock battery back in when the winter month come though. I have not seen small batteries fair well when the going gets tough. The problem with the super light lithium batts is that they require special charging to make sure they are charged properly and if they are run low it will ruin them and even cause them to catch fire!! You have to be very careful with any lithium polymer batteries. Tons of power from a very small and lightweight source but they need voltage monitoring and careful charging to maintain them. Its just not practical for most except for maybe a full time track car. Amazon sells the Deka for about $80 and they have the SAE terminals as well cheap. The lithium batts are around $400 or so and would be an expensive mistake if you let them get to low.

Hold downs are a pain though. I tried to find a good lightweight option and ended up just wedging some wood in to hold it in the battery box. The Deka batt does not have the ridge at the bottom to work with the factory hold down. It is hard to find any hold downs the right size for a small battery. All the ones I found are way to big or the tray does not fit in our batt box. The best method may be just using a kit that just has metal guides that screw to the batt box and a nylon adjustable strap to loop over the battery with a release buckle.
Thanks for the detailed first hand experience with the Deka. :)

Based on your lack of confidence in the Deka's cold weather capabilities, I'll likely forego the substantial weight savings in exchange for the dependability of a standard battery. Winters can be long and cold here in Jersey so it just wouldn't be suitable.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to figure out alternative methods to lighten up the front end of the car. :shrug:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
MBRP Race Catback exhausts, Black Coated, 3" with 4.5" Tips for the EcoBoost (S7275BLK): 55 lb (24.95 kg)

These are the ones that I have on my 2017 EU spec EcoBoost.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.