Sponsored

The Tyre Dressing Form Guide

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Dressing tires is my absolute favorite detailing task and is ultimately the finishing touch. Somehow, I have managed to collect 23 different tire products over the last few years. Far, far, far too many, but shoot me, I’m a tire dressing hustler. :blush:

IMG-2880.jpg

There are three main types of tire enhancement products;

1. Dressings – these are short term products used to enhance or “dress” a tire. Expect up to a week or two longevity.

2. Sealants – these products typically last longer than a dressing, one to three months.

3. Coatings – these are said to be the longest lasting of all, up to 6 months, good if you want something set and forget.

With some exceptions, these products are typically split into two different formulation types;

1. Water based – these offer the least longevity, but are far easier to apply, offer more variability to visual taste, are easier to remove and generally wont sling onto bodywork. These are my go-to these days. Water based dressings can be applied to wet or dry tires.

2. Solvent based – these last the longest, but require more care in application, can accumulate dust and dirt, can be messier to remove and do have the ability to sling. Best applied to a cleaned and dried tire surface.

IMG-3114.jpg

The elephant in the room when talking about tire dressings is the word “shine”. From a personal perspective, I tend to avoid calling these products “Tire Shine”, as for me, that is not the goal. That doesn’t mean I disapprove of a shiny tire, we all like different things. Some prefer a natural undressed tire. Some prefer a glossy, wet look tire. I sit in the middle, not too shiny, but definitely enhanced. A satin sheen the pros would call it.

I came up with the following analogy to what I prefer –

Let’s say you are going out to lunch with friends, perhaps at a nice café. Clearly, you don’t want to turn up in your pajama's, technically you are clothed but perhaps a little undressed. The equivalent of an undressed tire. But you also don’t want to overdo it and show up in a swish black tuxedo, the equivalent to a glossy tire. Instead, you wear a nice pair of jeans, a smart button up shirt and some posh shoes. In other words, smart but not overdone, the equivalent to a satin sheen tire.

IMG-2685.jpg

Note – the success or otherwise of a tire dressing, sealant or coating comes down the preparation put in prior to application. I never understood the point of cleaning tires, but once I started doing it, I noticed a huge improvement in a couple of key areas. Firstly, the application process seemed to be much smoother, the tire accepting the product much better. And of course, the whole point this exercise, a cleaned tire with a dressing applied looks so much better. I will cover tire cleaners and application methods in a future post.

Note – Longevity claims for tire products is hugely variable, aspects like rain, application prep and rubber compound all factor in real world longevity. As such, most of the detailing companies won’t provide set time frames other than non-committal terms like “long lasting” or “durable”. So, take the longevity section for each product as guide – your milage may vary.

With that, let’s talk product!

The Beginnings –

I’m going back to the early 2000’s here and a teenaged DFB. At the time, there was no such thing as online specialty detailing suppliers, so we chose products from the shelf of a local automotive store. As a cash strapped student, that meant those cheap and horrible cans of aerosol tire shine that produced at classy (yeah right :facepalm:) wet look.

From there, I progressed into products like Meguiar’s Endurance, Meguiar’s Hot Shine and Autoglym High Performance Tyre Gel. I’m grouping all these together as one because they all did the same thing, producing a longish lasting glossy look. Because of the solvent base, they were messy to apply, never really dried and therefore accumulated dust and dirt. As such, they initially produced a black, glossy look which quickly turned into a brown, glossy look. The final straw was brushing past a tire one morning on the way to said café, leaving black streaks on my favorite pair of jeans. Not cool! :frown: Although there was one more solvent based product, which is where I will start the formalities…………..

DSC-0103.jpg

(Autoglym HP) -

IMG-E2064.jpg

Gyeon Q2 Tire – this was the very first tire dressing I bought that wasn’t from an automotive chain store. A tire sealant, this product can last up to a month or “5 washes” due to its Si02 ceramic formulation. Q2 Tire works by penetrating and then bonding to the rubber, as such Gyeon claim a highly hydrophobic finish, which in turn improves longevity. It can be tailored, but its natural ability is to provide shine.

I can’t find information on whether this product is solvent based, but it sure acts like one. Q2 Tire is more gel like in consistency and requires more effort to thoroughly work into the rubber, while making sure to not overapply. I also highly recommend following the application with a knock down after 30 minutes, otherwise it will sling onto the paint………….ask me how I know this!

In the end, I stopped using this product due to messy application and sling potential. But, Q2 Tire is a great choice for those who don’t like applying after each wash.

Prices –
$32.99 AUD / $21.99 USD (400ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Solvent Si02 Tyre Sealant
Scent – Pleasant, similar to other Gyeon products like Prep & Bathe
Consistency – Gel
Best Application Tool – Foam applicator
Ease of Application – Medium
Appearance– Satin to gloss
Longevity (Claimed) – 4 to 5 weeks
Longevity (Observed) – 3 to 4 weeks.
DFB Score – 7/10

ax4.jpg

NV Onyx – this is what I went to after giving up on Gyeon Q2 Tire and have been singing its praises ever since. Onyx is a water-based tire dressing with one of the most intoxicating caramel scents. Its natural result is a satin sheen but can be ramped up with a second layer. It also provides UV protection and a hydrophobic finish.

The hand cream-like consistency is silky smooth to apply, spreading across the tire with supreme ease. I also like the non-greasy finish and the non-slinging formula. Combined with the fabulous scent, Onyx nails the user experience.

Prices –
$26.95 AUD / $18.99 USD (500ml)
$43.60 AUD / $29.99 (1 Lt)
$130.95 (4 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation - Water based dressing
Scent – Carmel
Consistency – Lotion-like
Best Application Tool – Foam Applicator
Ease of Application – Smooth and easy
Appearance – Satin
Longevity (Claimed) – “Weeks, not days”
Longevity (Observed) – 2 weeks
DFB Score – 10/10

oct2722.jpg

Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing – it’s been a very long time since I used this product, in fact I mostly used it as an engine bay dressing. Compared to the companies’ other tire product, this version is water based and has much runnier consistency. The big benefit Autoglym highlight is the ability to apply it to a wet or dry surface. It also delivers a much less glossy appearance compared to HP Tyre Gel and is not as sickly scented.

While I haven’t tried this for a while, I do remember enjoying the natural look it achieved and the easy application. Would also make a great wheel well dressing. For the price, its not a bad option and available at most auto stores.

Prices –
$16.00 AUD (500ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Water-based dressing
Scent – Mild
Consistency – Runny
Best Application Tool – Foam applicator or brush
Ease of Application – Easy
Appearance – Matte / Satin
Longevity (Claimed) – Not stated
Longevity (Observed) – Expect a week at best
DFB Score – 7/10

agitd101.jpg

303 Protectant - this is not an obvious choice as a tyre dressing, but its a great choice for a effortless matte finish.

303's best attribute is the ultra-easy application. The finished result on tyres is not obvious, which is a good thing if you prefer a subtle touch.

Prices –
$28.95 AUD / $15.99 USD (473 ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Water-based dressing
Scent – None
Consistency – Runny
Best Application Tool – Foam applicator or brush
Appearance – Matte
Longevity (Observed) – 1 week
DFB Score – 7/10

apr226.jpg

Gyeon Tire Express – Gyeon describe this product as a “daily tire and rubber dressing”. That doesn’t necessarily mean that you apply it every day, rather that it’s been designed for regular applications compared to the companies longer lasting tyre sealant, Q2 Tire. It’s also been tailored for a matte or “natural” look that can be built upon if desired.

In use, Tire Express is easier to apply than Q2 Tire, requiring far less working to achieve a uniform appearance. For some reason though, I just never warmed to it. It’s a good product, but it didn’t wow me. As a bonus, its freely available in automotive stores.

Prices –
$28.99 AUD / $20.99 (400ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Water based dressing
Scent – Light Caramel
Best Application Tool – Foam Applicator
Appearance – Matte / Satin
Longevity (Claimed) – “2 washes”
Longevity (Observed) – 1 to 2 weeks
DFB Score – 7/10

IMG-0732.jpg

Chemical Guys VRP – a water-based dressing, VRP is the brands best product. But it’s certainly not worth the better part of $40 they charge for it in Australia! Chemical Guys suggest that VRP will make rubber and plastic “shine like new” and can be used on interior and exterior surfaces. Frankly, due to the claim of “super shine”, I wouldn’t be using this on interior plastics unless you want to make your dashboard look like an oil slick.

The big plus for VRP is the ease of use, the application is super smooth and offers great coverage. The scent is pleasing too. But the achilleas heal, like ALL Chemical Guys products, is the complete lack of longevity. For the price, there are soooo many better options out there.

Prices –
$39.99 AUD / $12.49 USD (473ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Caramel
Appearance – Gloss
Longevity (Claimed) – Not stated other than “Long Lasting Protection”
Longevity (Observed) – A few days at best
DFB Score – 4/10

IMG-9367.jpg

Carpro Perl – this is one of Carpro’s best known products, and for good reason. A water-based dressing, Perl’s versatility really sets it apart, from tires to exterior plastics, engine bay dressing, interior plastic dressing and even leather. It can be used neat or right out to 5:1. It provides UV protection and can deliver gloss right down to a matte/barely there appearance depending on dilution. It’s also very economical owing to the concentrate formula.

I will have to admit, this is a product that has grown on me. My initial use didn’t go well, I didn’t understand dilution ratios at the time, as such, I simply mixed it with too much water. I would later use it undiluted and begun to fall in love with it. I now tend to use it mixed at 3:1, which makes a brush application possible, especially useful on larger sidewalls. The big selling point in my view is the deep, dark appearance it imparts and the ability to tailor it to a desired appearance. The finished result is a dry to touch. Easily one of the best tyre dressings on the market. (As a side note, Perl is one of the few dressings to work well on Michelin PS4’s tires, which can be difficult to achieve consistent and even finish on.)

Prices –
$22.95 AUD / $17.59 USD (500ml)
$39.95 AUD / $27.99 USD (1 Lt)
$142.95 AUD / $104.99 USD (4 Lt)

Dilution – Neat (Tyres), 1:1 (Tyres, External Plastics), 1:3 (Engine bays, external plastics), 5:1 (interior use)
Type/Formulation – Silicone Oxide Water based dressing
Scent – None
Consistency – Lotion-like, runny when diluted
Best Application Tool – Brush (in diluted forms) or foam applicator (when used neat)
Appearance – Gloss to matte
Longevity (Claimed) – “Up to 3 months”
DFB Score – 10/10

IMG-2580.jpg

Obsessed Garage Tire Dressing – this product replaced Perl as Matt’s tire dressing of choice. It’s a water-based dressing that is said to be easier to apply than Perl and last a little longer. Originally, the product was sent to Matt as a sample by a follower, and after eventually testing it, Matt committed to sourcing and bottling the product on site. Late last year, the OG Tire Dressing made it to Australian shores in a couple of select online retailers.

This is my go-to tyre dressing for Michelin PS4S’s, it being able to deliver a consistent, matte or satin finish. If more gloss is required, apply additional coats. Dry to touch, OG Tire Dressing smells divine and does not sling onto body work. I also find a very light wipe after 20 minutes delivers a seamless, smooth finish that really enhances without looking “dressed”. A little pricy, but it does offer excellent coverage. Easily a favorite of mine.

Prices –
$69.50 AUD / $50.00 USD (1 Lt)
$199.00 AUD / $85.00 USD (3.8 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Sweet Cherry
Consistency – Lotion-like, runny enough to go through a sprayer though
Best Application Tool – Brush
Appearance – Satin to matte
Longevity (Claimed) – None Stated
Longevity (Observed) – 2 to 3 weeks
DFB Score – 10/10

IMG-0368.jpg

Meguiar’s Hyper Dressing – this product is from the Meguiar’s professional line and has been a staple for commercial detailers for a very long time. Originally, Hyper Dressing was only available in larger quantities, which could then be diluted to suit a variety of uses; tyres, wheel arches, engine bays, exterior plastic and interior surfaces. However, 3.8 litres of concentrate is far too much for the average enthusiast detailer, not to mention the cost factor. However, Megs have been pre-diluting Hyper Dressing at 1:1 in an RTU format for a couple of years.

I have mostly used Hyper Dressing on engine bays, diluted out to 5:1 for a natural finish. At the 1:1 ratio in RTU form, it will product a moderate to high gloss finish on tyres. Its supremely easy to apply and achieve a consistent look. Finding some is probably its least enticing aspect.

Prices –
$44.99 AUD / $23.99 USD(946 ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted (RTU form)
Scent – Sweet Cherry
Consistency – Lotion-like, runny when diluted
Best Application Tool – Brush or foam applicator
Appearance – Satin to high gloss
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated
DFB Score – 8/10

IMG-0948.jpg

Duragloss 253 / 254 – this is an old school product that if you know, you know. 253 seems to be much longer lasting than most water-based dressings, owing to the water-resistant polymers, and delivers an enhanced natural rubber appearance.

This is a runnier product and goes on quite milky but dries to a dry finish. I like applying it larger tires, using a wheel and body brush to improve efficiency. 253 is a bit of sleeper, although its restricted to one outlet in Australia. If you are aiming for a matte or “barely there” look, this is a very good option to consider.

Prices –
$29.99 AUD / $18.50 USD (562 ml) (253)
$69.99 AUD / $85.90 USD (1.9 Lt) (254)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – None
Consistency – Runny liquid
Appearance – Matte / Natural
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated other than “long lasting”
Longevity (Observed) – 3 weeks
DFB Score – 8/10

IMG-0100.jpg

Koch Chemie Plast Star PSS –this product is a silicone-oil free dressing for external plastic, rubber trim and tires. The formulation bonds to the treated surface and delivers a semi-matte finish and provides UV protection for the preservation of new surfaces, or rejuvenation of older surfaces.

Plast Star is an unusual product, feeling like no other tire dressing I have experienced. The clear runny liquid applies quite wet but then turns tacky/sticky as it begins to set. That factor is helpful in determining if you have worked the product for long enough. It smells and feels like an evaporative IPA solvent. The finish is a satin sheen and seems to last quite well too. Pricey, but well worth looking at for sure.

Prices –
$50.95 AUD / $39.99 USD(1 Lt)
$423.95 AUD (10 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Solvent based “Preserver”
Scent – “Solventy”
Consistency – Clear Runny liquid
Ease of Application – Moderate, the tackiness takes a bit to get used to
Appearance – Satin to Semi-gloss
Longevity (Claimed) – “Months”
Longevity (Observed) – 3 to 4 weeks
DFB Score – 8/10

IMG-3809.jpg

AMMO Mud – not an especially obtainable product for the Australian market, I paid waaaay too much to have a bottle of this. Mud is a water-based tyre dressing that is sweetly scented and produces a semi-gloss appearance. It’s said to fast drying and long lasting.

The black gel like consistency requires a little more effort to massage into a dry tire surface, but rewards with an ultra-dark, uniform finish. The cherry scent is not unlike Meguiar’s sling-city Endurance. A nice product, but not worth going hungry for a week to pay for it to be shipped to Australia.

Prices –
$27.60 AUD / $18.00 USD (473 ml) (Shipping is prohibitive)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Cherry
Consistency – Thick gel
Ease of Application – Moderate
Appearance – Satin to Semi-gloss
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated but described as “Long Lasting”
DFB Score – 7/10

IMG-1670.jpg

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Dressing – Optimum products tend to fly under the radar, which is a shame because the company makes some really good offerings. Opti-Bond is a water-based dressing, designed for a non-greasy high gloss finish, while also providing UV protection.

To be frank, I didn’t enjoy using this product. I think it was just too blatantly glossy for my taste. It’s application is smooth, and longevity is ok, but it didn’t float my boat. I did however learn to always buy the smallest bottle possible until you discover if you actually like the product, as such, I have the better part of a liter of Opti-Bond sitting unused at the back of the cabinet. You win some, you lose some.

Prices –
$19.95 AUD / $8.99 USD (236 ml)
$43.95 AUD / $24.99 USD (946 ml)
$99.95 AUD / $70.00 USD (3.8 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted or at 1:1
Scent – None
Consistency – Thick gel
Ease of Application – Easy, smooth
Appearance – High-gloss
DFB Score – 5/10

IMG-3278.jpg

Stjarnagloss Gummi – this is another multi-use water based dressing, able to be applied to plastic and rubber trim as well as tyres. It offers UV protection and is a fast drying, high gloss formula.

Again, another product I don’t really like. Its high gloss look doesn’t last long, becoming blotchy after a few days. It also puts up little to no defense to water, so simply washes off at the next wash or in the rain. Granted, its application is smooth and easy, but that can’t make up for the lackluster performance. I have to say, most of the products from this brand I have hated.

Prices –
$27.99 AUD / $22.00 USD (500 ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Slight, almost like dishwashing liquid
Appearance – Satin to gloss
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated but described as “Long Lasting”
Longevity (Observed) – A few days, a week at best
DFB Score – 2/10

IMG-4766.jpg

Angelwax Elixir – this is one of those products from a company that choses to provide little to no information on their products. As such, how do they even manage to sell product if people can’t make an informed decision? So, I can’t remember why I had the confidence to actually buy Elixir. A water based dressing, it can be used on exterior trim and tires. It’s also said to provide a “waterproof barrier" too, but apart from that, I can’t say anything more.

Having said that, I love this dressing! The runny consistency makes coverage simple, and the dry to touch finish is just the most delightful satin sheen. No wipe downs or excessive buffing required. It’s such a shame no one knows about it, as it really is a terrific product.

Prices –
$32.50 AUD / $16.99 USD (500 ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – None
Appearance – Satin sheen
DFB Score – 9/10

IMG-6634.jpg

Adam's Graphene Tire Dressing – a brand with a variety of tire dressings, Adam’s released a Graphene version a few years ago. Now, I really didn’t buy this product for the Graphene, or maybe I did? My theory was, I wanted to try the Adam’s dressing that would be different from most of the products already in my cabinet. The fact that the Graphene element is that differentiating factor has nothing to do with the current Graphene fad that is taking over the industry.

The formation appears to be water based but has “graphene infused ceramic resins” added to improve longevity and provide a deep black appearance. Adam’s suggest that it was designed for larger tread block tires and that it wont sling.

I had absolutely no expectations with this product but was instantly impressed. The runny liquid applies easily, something that is valuable on larger SUV tires. But the finish is what sets it apart, the matte finish has little to no gloss to it and it simply enhances the look without being overdone. Be sure to shake the bottle well prior to use to redistribute the graphene. Yes, its expensive, but don’t sleep on this product, its truly excellent.

Prices –
$49.95 AUD / $16.99 USD (473 ml)
$199.99 AUD / $69.99 USD (3.8 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Watermelon
Appearance – Matte to Satin
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated other than “Highly Durable”
DFB Score – 10/10

IMG-4813.jpg

Auto Finesse Satin – this is what Auto Finesse describes as a “progressive finish” dressing, as in it can be built upon to the desired look. At its core though, and as the name suggests, Satin produces a satin look, the most “barely there” end result I have come across. The water based formula has UV inhibitors and has a crème like consistency.

In use, Satin will easily provide a subtle enhancement with no buffing to deliver that matte finish. I have not tried layering Satin, frankly there are other products that can do gloss with one application. The product is effortless to apply.

Prices –
$22.50 USD / $18.95 USD (500 ml) (Clearance Price)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Berries
Appearance – Matte to Satin to Low Gloss
DFB Score – 5/10

IMG-6453.jpg

P&S Shine All – this a brand that has a large number of solvent and water-based dressings to choose from, too many to the point of confusion in my opinion. Shine All is part of the Double Black line, as such is focused on the enthusiast market. The water-based Shine All was designed for a glossier appearance and especially tailored for larger sidewalls and rough surfaces. It can also be diluted to reduce its gloss potential.

Application is simply, best teamed with a foam applicator and coverage from the runny liquid is excellent. This is not a wow product, rather it’s a workhorse.

Prices –
$27.95 AUD / $14.10 USD(473 ml)
$89.95 AUD / $50.70 USD (3.8 Lt)
$196.95 AUD (19 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted but can be watered down if desired
Scent – None
Consistency – Slightly thick runny liquid
Appearance – High Gloss
DFB Score – 6/10

IMG-5839.jpg

P&S Dynamic Dressing – this is primarily aimed at interior dressing but can also be used on tyres. It’s now only available in pre-diluted form, but the water-based formula allows for further dilution if desired. Think of Dynamic as P&S’s version of Perl, as in used on multiple surfaces.

The Banana scent is what you notice first, other than that, it doesn’t excel as a tyre dressing.

Prices –
$31.95 AUD / $16.90 USD (473ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted but can be watered down if desired
Scent – Banana
Consistency – Runny Liquid
Appearance – Satin
DFB Score – 6/10

IMG-5904.jpg

P&S Shape Up – yet another multi-surface water-based dressing from P&S. Much is made about the UV protective factor with Shape Up as well as the statement that it will last for “weeks”. I see this product as an alternative to Meguiar’s Hyper Dressing.

Like all of these P&S dressings, the runny consistency is easy to apply. The finish left is a natural, matte to satin look. Again, a workhorse product rather than a wow product. Well priced.

Prices –
$26.95 AUD / $9.99 USD (473ml)
$78.95 AUD / $52.99 USD (3.8 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Lemon
Consistency – Runny Liquid
Appearance – Natural to Matte
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated other than “weeks”
DFB Score – 6/10

IMG-5831.jpg

Gtechniq T2 – a brand that offers two tyre products, T2 is the water-based version with less longevity compared to T1 Tyre Coating. T2 apparently repels dirt and is body shop safe. Gloss finish and non-slinging.

I don’t really like this product, it just doesn’t wow or excel. Not worth the bother.

Prices –
$13.60 AUD / $7.95 USD (250ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – None
Appearance – Glossy
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated other than “good durability”
DFB Score – 2/10

gtt2101.jpg

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Graphene Acrylic Tire Shine Spray Coating – yes, that is what the product is officially called. Perhaps Turtle Wax thought by throwing as many words as possible into the product name that they would convince stupid people into thinking this is the most advanced product you can apply to your tyres. This is not rocket science, it’s just a tyre shine. Completely unnecessary and confusing name aside, I bought this product after hearing other tyre-dressing-junkies singing its praises. Considered a sealant rather than dressing, the graphene and acrylic polymers are said to improve longevity, quoted as “months of shine and protection”. The product delivers a jet-black glossy finish.

This is a weird product, one that I found to produce a slightly uneven finished result. As the name suggests, it smells like acrylic paint. Dry to touch, it offers decent longevity though but does take a little more aggression to remove. Frankly, if Turtle Wax spent less time getting as many fancy sounding words into the name and a little more time on the user experience, this would be a much nicer product to use.

Prices –
$36.00 AUD / $12.00 USD (680 ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Sealant
Scent – Like house paint
Ease of Application – Moderate
Appearance – Glossy
Longevity (Claimed) – “Months and Months”
Longevity (Observed) – 1+ Month
DFB Score – 2/10

IMG-6403.jpg

Carpro Darkside – this is a relatively new product in the Carpro range, Darkside launched in late January. This solvent-based tyre sealant offers up to 3 months durability and is claimed to offer excellent hydrophobic and self-cleaning properties. It’s big claim to fame is the deep, dark satin finish it produces.

Being solvent based, I didn’t really know if I was going to like this product. However, the finished results speak for themselves, and the claims of a deeper, darker result are realized. The scent is pleasing, and longevity is better than Perl, although the 3-month claim is widely optimistic. The only drawback to Darkside is that it needs extensive working to provide an even, consistent look. You also need to avoid water contact for 1-2 hours. Apart from that, this is a favorite of mine.

Prices –
$31.00 AUD / $19.99 USD (500 ml)
$49.95 AUD / $32.99 USD (1 Lt)
$117.95 AUD / $99.99 USD (4 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Solvent based sealant
Scent – Cherry
Ease of Application – Moderate-Difficult
Appearance – Satin to Glossy
Longevity (Claimed) – “Up to 3 months”
Longevity (Observed) – 1+ Month
DFB Score - 9/10

IMG-7204.jpg

DIY Detail Tire Dressing – a new brand to Australia, one that focuses on simple, easy to use pro-grade products. This is a runny, water-based dressing that delivers a glossy non-greasy finish that can be adjusted to taste. UV protection is a key aspect highlighted by DIY.

The application is simple and effective with excellent coverage. Its able to be teamed with a brush or foam applicator. This not a stellar product, but it does achieve what the brand sets out to be.

Prices –
$29.95 AUD / $13.99 USD (473 ml)
$175.95 AUD / $79.99 USD (3.8 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Apple
Consistency –Runny liquid
Best Application Tool – Foam applicator or Brush
Appearance – Satin to Glossy
DFB Score - 7/10

IMG_8169.jpg

Conclusions -

I have to say, there are very few tyre dressings that I dislike, but there are certainly some standouts.

Carpro Perl, NV Onyx and Obsessed Garage Tire Dressing are easily the favorites in my rotation. Honorable mentions go to Adam's Graphene and Koch Chemie Plast Star. Carpro Darkside has also impressed of late.

Coming next, tire cleaners and cleaning.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
OMG, there isn't an icon for THAT POST, D! WOW, WOW, WOW!

But since I've switched, (perhaps temporarily,) to Wolfgang's Vinyl and Rubber dressing and, since I still have a good supply of Perl, I'm gonna take your suggestion on engine components where I've been using VRP up until now.

But Lord have mercy, it must have taken you HOURS to generate that post, my friend...WELL DONE and a great addition to "The Black Book." :-)

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
OMG, there isn't an icon for THAT POST, D! WOW, WOW, WOW!

But since I've switched, (perhaps temporarily,) to Wolfgang's Vinyl and Rubber dressing and, since I still have a good supply of Perl, I'm gonna take your suggestion on engine components where I've been using VRP up until now.

But Lord have mercy, it must have taken you HOURS to generate that post, my friend...WELL DONE and a great addition to "The Black Book." :-)
Thanks, and yes, it did take a LOT of time to collate, more than I expected.

CRS77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Excellent info.
I haven’t used Adams Graphene but have been using their VRT and have been very happy with it.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Sponsored

FKE SNK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 93 Cobra clone
What an amazing thread.

I bought a bottle of Onyx last year as recommended by D and have not been disappointed.

It's hilarious how much effort and marketing is being put into tire shine these days. I LOL'd at the Turtle Wax review

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Tire Cleaning

As mentioned in the opening post, cleaning tires was a foreign concept to me. One could assume that cleaning tires is simply a way of selling more products, but there are some valid reasons why its considered an important part of the detailing process -

- A thoroughly cleaned tire will accept the dressing, sealant or coating much better. It’s a hard thing to describe, but when the tire is bare and clean, the product being applied seems to glide over the sidewall with less effort. The dressing/sealant/coating then has the best chance to properly bond to the rubber and give the best possible longevity.

- For a tire that doesn’t have anything lingering, be that an old dressing or accumulated dirt, the finished result will be a darker, more uniform finish. A case of hard work paying off.

The only reason I discovered the need to clean tires was when I decided to try Gyeon Q2 Tire. That product was different to other dressings I had used to that point, the recommendation was to thoroughly clean and prepare the rubber prior to application for ultimate performance and visual effect. At the time, I didn’t have a suitable brush or product to clean the tires with. I ended up buying some pre-diluted Meguiar’s Multi Purpose Cleaner and a scrubbing brush from the hardware store. The results were sub-par and I was left with the desire to find something better.

Having tried several tire specific cleaning products, I have come to the conclusion that best results come from products tailored to the job in question. As a rule, tire cleaning products are strong alkaline degreasers, able to penetrate, break down and emulsify oily and greasy substances, which are then rinsed away with water.

In a technical sense, an alkaline all-purpose cleaner should fit that requirement. However, I have found APC to be only mildly effective at cleaning tires properly. It can certainly be done with a stronger dilution and repeated passes, but there are more effective products that require less product and less effort to deliver the desired results.

Brushes -

In any case, you will be teaming your chosen tire cleaner with a medium to stiff bristled brush. These come in many shapes and sizes, meaning you can choose one that suits the tires you intend to clean, while also putting thought into user specific ergonomic considerations.

IMG-3524.jpg

If the brush is too soft, it won’t be very effective or efficient, likewise if the bristles are too stiff. The happy medium for me is the Detail Factory Tire Scrub Brush, which I really like how it can conform the shape of the sidewall to give a thorough, efficient cleaning action.

Detail Factory Tyre Brush (detailingshed.com.au)
Detail Factory - Tire Scrub Brush | The Rag Company

IMG-3462.jpg

IMG-3528.jpg

IMG-3969.jpg

Note – the general rule of thumb with tire cleaning is to continue to scrub/rinse/scrub/rinse until the cleaning chemical no longer turns brown during agitation. The brownness is actually a combination of dirt, old dressing and the anti-ozone agents that surface and then react to oxygen. The technical term for this is called “Blooming”. By all means, repeat the cleaning process a couple of times for thoroughness, but I would stop at two or three passes. Any more than that and you end up removing too much of those anti-ozone agents and risk premature weathering of the rubber.

IMG-0535.jpg

IMG-0283.jpg

For me, I’ll clean a neglected tire once or twice and call it good. For my own cars, I rarely have tire browning, so a quick pass with a cleaner is all I need. This is a case of adjusting to the needs of your car, rather than getting the bazooka out every time.

Tire Cleaning Products –

Gyeon Q2M Tire Cleaner –
this was the very first dedicated tire cleaner I bought. It’s decently priced but seemed to lack something, as such it was never repurchased. After hearing of others having success with Q2M Tire Cleaner, I really need to give this product another try, perhaps the formula has been updated since I used it four years ago. In fairness to Gyeon and fellow Gyeon users, I won’t be scoring this product until I have done so.

Gyeon Q2M Tire Cleaner (detailingshed.com.au)
Gyeon Q2M Tire Cleaner - ESOTERIC Car Care

Prices –
$15.99 AUD / $11.99 USD (500 ml)

Tire Cleaner – Yes
Wheel Cleaner – No
Dilution – Not recommended
Scent – Unscented
Cleaning Ability – Withheld
DFB Score – Withheld

ax1.jpg

P&S Brake Buster – this is a combined wheel and tire cleaner with the ability to foam. One could assume that its a jack of all trades, master of none. However, when used undiluted (why people bother diluting Brake Buster I will never know), it’s a decently powerful tire cleaner. Some have commented that Brake Buster is only a “maintenance” product, as in it lacks extreme ability. However, I have rarely been left wanting when using it as directed by P&S (undiluted).

What brings me back to this product time and time again is the way if foams up during agitation, making it feel like you are actually doing something. Perhaps that’s what I was missing from Gyeon Q2M Tire Cleaner? For neglected tires, a stronger product would probably be a better choice, but Brake Buster seems to get the job done satisfactorily, while also doing duty as a wheel cleaner too. My go-to tire cleaner.

P & S Brake Buster – Non Acid Foaming Wheel Cleane (detailingshed.com.au)
P&S Detail Products - Brake Buster Wheel Cleaner | The Rag Company

Prices –
$19.95 AUD / $11.00 USD(473 ml)
$49.95 AUD / $30.80 (3.8 Lt)

Tire Cleaner – Yes
Wheel Cleaner – Yes
Dilution – Can be diluted to 10:1 with significantly reduced ability.
Scent – Unscented, acrid chemical aroma
Cleaning Ability – 8/10
DFB Score – 9/10

IMG-4044.jpg

IMG-4045.jpg

P&S Undressed – this is a dedicated tire cleaner from P&S, taking the cleaning ability up a notch over Brake Buster. Undressed is actually a rebranded product that was already in the P&S line up, where it was aimed at cleaning white wall tires, as such it's an excellent choice for that sort of tire or ones with white lettering.

Undressed doesn’t quite have the same foaming ability under agitation as Brake Buster, but it does seem to offer a touch more cleaning ability to strip tires back to a bare finish. The cost is also very attractive, even though its only available in gallon/3.8 Lt format.

Shop P&S Undressed Tire Prep Online - CarCareCo
P&S Detail Products - Undressed Tire Prep | The Rag Company

Prices –
$38.95 AUD / $18.10 USD(3.8 Lt)

Tire Cleaner – Yes
Wheel Cleaner – No
Scent - None
Cleaning Ability – 9/10
DFB Score – 8/10

IMG-2111.jpg

Shine Supply Wise Guy – this is the proverbial sledge hammer and MUST be diluted. Originally a dedicated tire cleaner, it has since been reclassified as a wheel and tire cleaner. I would probably restrict it to tires though.

Wise Guy is pretty aggressive, a product I grab for ultra dirty tires or when I want to strip tires right down to the bare rubber. I have also found it to be rough on sprayers, having killed a couple of Kwazar spray heads as well as Tolco and Canyon chemical resistant sprayers. I’m now running it out of a Marolex pump action sprayer.

Get Shine Supply Wise Guy Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care
Shine Supply Wise Guy Wheel & Tire Cleaner | Best Tire Cleaner – Obsessed Garage
Marolex Industry Ergo | Hand Pump Foam Sprayer | Obsessed Garage

Prices –
$34.50 AUD / $20.99 USD (473 ml)
$64.95 AUD / $38.00 USD(3.8 Lt)

Tire Cleaner – Yes
Wheel Cleaner – Yes
Dilution – 1:1 is recommended and required
Scent - None
Cleaning Ability – 10/10
DFB Score – 9/10

IMG-1985.jpg

IMG-1642.jpg

Carpro ReTyre – another heavy hitter, this is a foaming dedicated tire cleaner that joined the Carpro line last year. I don’t think you need this amount of aggression on a regular basis, and the price tends to reflect that.

I initially struggled with this product, my bottle arriving without the foaming spray head. As such, it didn’t really impress. After reading others having excellent success with ReTyre, I ordered another bottle, which came with the correct sprayer. For whatever reason, the foam seems to play a part in the effectiveness of ReTyre. I mention this because the foaming spray head blows through quite a lot of product, but without it, the power seems to be lost. So fitting a regular spray head to save on product is not really advised.

My score is tempered by the price and amount of product you will blow through due to the foaming trigger. But if you need something heavy hitting, ReTyre is a great option.

CarPro Retyre – Waxit Car Care
Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

Prices –
$31.95 AUD / $17.99 USD (500 ml)
$47.50 AUD / $24.99 USD (1 Lt)
$125.45 AUD / $99.99 USD (4 Lt)

Tire Cleaner – Yes
Wheel Cleaner – No
Dilution – No recommended
Scent - None, slightly aggravating
Cleaning Ability – 10/10
DFB Score – 8/10

IMG-4747.jpg

Adam’s Wheel & Tire Cleaner – this is Adam’s version of Brake Buster, in that it’s a combined wheel and tire cleaner. It shares the non-acid alkaline formula but doesn’t quite have the same level of foaming ability though. Or ultimate cleaning ability.

Some have mentioned that this product is a brilliant tire cleaner, but I only found it mildly effective. To me, Brake Buster is more efficient, and cheaper too. It’s a good wheel cleaner though. I would only recommend buying this if its on sale in Australia.

https://adamspolishes.com.au/collections/exterior-liquids/products/adams-wheel-and-tyre-cleaner
Adam's Wheel & Tire Cleaner - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)

Prices –
$32.99 AUD / $12.99 (473 ml)
$149.99 AUD / $44.99 USD (3.8 Lt) (Yes, that's nearly a $100 markup to buy this in Aust.)

Tire Cleaner – Yes
Wheel Cleaner – Yes
Dilution – Can be but not required
Scent - None
Cleaning Ability – 7/10
DFB Score – 6/10

IMG-5238.jpg

Adam’s Tire & Rubber Cleaner – being a dedicated tire cleaner, I have found this to be far more effective than their combined wheel and tire cleaner. I like how this product strikes a nice balance between cleaning ability and suitability for regular usage. This is terrific product, one that I would use more if it was more economical. Again, buy when on sale.

https://adamspolishes.com.au/products/adam-s-tyre-rubber-cleaner?_pos=1&_sid=514c96482&_ss=r
Adam's Polishes Tire & Rubber Cleaner | Best Way To Clean Brown Tires (adamspolishes.com)

Prices –
$32.99 AUD / $12.99 USD(473 ml)
$149.99 AUD / $44.99 USD (3.8 Lt)

Tire Cleaner – Yes
Wheel Cleaner – No
Scent - None
Cleaning Ability – 9.5/10
DFB Score – 9/10

IMG-4637.jpg

IMG-4642.jpg

Meguiar’s Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner – another combination product, and another that really didn’t impress me. Again, a good wheel cleaner, but it struggled to remove a previously applied dressing effectively. The price Meguiars ask for this product in Australia is ridiculous, clearly they have built in a high RRP so that when it eventually goes on sale at a big box store it will still makes them money. I just can’t recommend buying this product when Brake Buster is less expensive and more effective.

Meguiars Detailer Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner 946ml DRTU14332 | Sparesbox
Meguiar's D143 Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner, 32 oz. (meguiarsdirect.com)

Prices –
$44.99 AUD / $13.99 USD(946 ml) (RTU)
$64.99 AUD / $24.99 USD(3.8 Lt)
Tire Cleaner – Yes
Wheel Cleaner – Yes
Dilution – Neat or up to 2:1
Scent - None
Cleaning Ability – 6/10
DFB Score – 5/10

IMG-8333.jpg

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Hyper Foam Wheel Cleaner & Tire Prep – yet another ridiculously named product from Turtle Wax. They must be smoking crack when they have the naming strategy sessions in the boardroom over there. It’s been said that this is a company that has absolutely no idea about detailing, a confusing line of products sold by people who have no passion for what they are selling other than it making them money.

Harsh words aside, this is actually a very good tyre cleaner. Like Carpro ReTyre, this is a foaming product that goes on thickly and agitates up to strip tires bare. Unlike ReTyre, this product can also be used on wheels. I wouldn’t. However, this is probably one of the most aggressive tire cleaners I have tried.

I’m not being a brand snob here, but I just can’t use this product. While none of these tire cleaners have a scent, or are what I would call pleasing, but this Turtle Wax product reeks. Certainly not like the Sulphur-like odour of an iron remover, but not far behind. I will say, I'm pretty sensitive to scents and odours, so you may not find it as egregious, but this is not a product I will be buying again for the aroma alone.

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Hyper Foam Wheel Cleaner & Tire Prep 769mL | Supercheap Auto
HS Hyper Foam Wheel Cleaner & Tire Prep | Turtle Wax

Prices –
$36.00 AUD / $11.00 USD (680 ml)

Tire Cleaner – Yes
Wheel Cleaner – Yes
Scent - Vile
Cleaning Ability – 10/10
DFB Score – 6/10

IMG-6389.jpg

Stoner’s Tarminator – while not designed with cleaning tires in mind, but whatever is in it seems to be ideal at stripping tyres that are being rather stubborn, Michelin in particular. An off-label use, Tarminator has the ability to deliver a truly bare finish, while also conditioning the rubber to accept a tire dressing.

You won’t use Tarminator often for tire cleaning, think of it as a last resort for difficult tires or for when preparing brand new tires to strip release agents and fitment soap. Spray the product into a towel and rub the sidewall aggressively, as the chemical evaporates, it will reveal a completely matte, clean surface ready for that layer of dressing. Avoid getting this onto to matte wheels. A sledge-axe for occasional use.

Stoner Tarminator 296mL | Product | Car Care Products Australia
Car Tar & Sap Remover | Stoner Tarminator | Obsessed Garage

Prices –
$19.95 AUD / $9.99 USD (296 ml)

Tire Cleaner – Yes (Well, sort of.)
Wheel Cleaner – No
Dilution – NA (Aerosol)
Scent – Strong Citrus Solvent aroma
Cleaning Ability – 10/10
DFB Score – 10/10

IMG-3801.jpg

Conclusions –

The product here I grab the most is easily Brake Buster, it just does the job and, to me, has the best user experience.

Adam’s Rubber & Tire Cleaner is an excellent option too, I just wish it was better priced here in Australia.

Shine Supply Wise Guy is another staple of mine, having been in my cabinet for a number of years now. The price is softened buy the product being diluted.

Wildcard is easily Stoner’s Tarminator. Not designed for tire cleaning in mind, but when you need the sledge axe, it’s a worth addition to the mix.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Man this post is spot on and very valuable. Should be a sticky :). I have used a few of these products and they do work really well. I have Brake Buster and Adams wheel and tire cleaner in stock right now for cleaning duties. Just got some CarPro Retyre a while back, it works fantastic for cleaning the tires themselves, its amazing watching the foam turn brown while it dwells. I still have some Chemical Guys VRP in stock for dressing, but my go to is Carpro Perl and just got and tried Darkside with great results. Much less messy and better than Meguiars Endurance I used before. Not as shiny when knocked back after a whlie of application.

Cux211

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
22 f250 6.7 platinum tremor
Awesome write up, I’ve been a fan of adams for a while but maybe as I get older and more miserable lol the fact that they have to many products that do the same thing has really started to annoy me lol. I’ve found myself most recently just following whatever Matt (obsessed garage) says , tarminator , p&s brake buster and OG dressing

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
HOME RUN AGAIN!!!!

D: I am wondering if you know just how valuable your incredibly thorough posts are to the rest of us? The time we save alone is worth an enormous amount not to mention the cost savings gleaned from your experiences. On top of all that, you always indicate what is your go to product which results in the rest of us who take your advice winding up with gorgeous vehicles.

I wish I could buy you a steak dinner and fill your cars up on my tab as I simply can't thank you enough for your most valuable information.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Tire Dressing Applicators

So, you have cleaned your tires and selected a dressing, sealant or coating. Now, its time apply said product, but with what?

Different tire products work best with different application methods. Most people would associate tire dressings with some sort of foam applicator, and for the most part, that is a correct assumption. But, like everything detailing, there is so much to choose from.

IMG_9364.jpg

Tip – never apply dressing directly to the tire, unless you want to re-clean your wheels afterwards. Apply the product directly into the applicator or brush and then work it into the tire, reapplying more as needed. This applies to all dressings, sealants and coatings……….except for aerosol products.

agitd101.jpg

Foam Applicators –

These are the most popular, most widely available and offer the most variation or choice. Foam applicators are ideal for thicker gel or crème like dressings and sealants but will also work with runnier products too.

IMG_0986.jpg

A very basic and cost-effective choice would be to use scraps of offcut foam. These can be had from a local rubber and foam supplier, often sold in discount bins for a couple of dollars each. Simply cut them into suitable sizes and your set. When they get too dirty, throw it away and grab another. The only downside to this option is the lack of a separator/hand grip, which means you end up with dressing all over your hands/gloves.

DSC_0103.jpg

Dedicated foam applicators come in many different shapes and sizes………….and some are better than others. I cannot begin to cover each and every foam applicator on the market, so here a few favorites.

Firstly, the generic curved foam applicators that are sold at most detailing suppliers. These are inexpensive and very functional, a good choice for lower profile tires. The generous (colored) handgrip works well to keep your fingers clean. Often sold in multi-packs.

Maxshine Tyre Dressing Applicators Curved (detailingshed.com.au)
Amazon.com: Tire Applicator Dressing Shine Sponge - Tire Pads Color Polishing Sponge Wax Duty Scrubber Sponge with Double Wide Curved Foam Pad for Car Glass, Painted Steel, Porcelain : Automotive

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG-0042.jpg

These chunkier square applicators are one of my favorites, and while they look best suited to larger tires, they function well on low profiles as well. These items are sold under several different brands and likely all come out of the same factory in China. Chemical Guys, Maxshine, Bowden’s and more sell something similar, differentiated by the colour of the hand grip. Very durable too.

MaxShine Hydro-Tech Tyre Gel Applicator - Large (detailingshed.com.au)
Tyre Shine applicator (bowdensown.com.au)

Wonder Wave Durafoam Tire Dressing & Protectant Applicator Pad | Chemical Guys

y7.jpg

y8.jpg

may58.jpg

“Hex Grip” foam pucks are brilliant for tire dressing. These come in a few different styles, but all function the same. These provide a very defined hand grip for mess-free applications. Again, sold by several different brands and suppliers.

AutoBuff Hex Grip Tyre & Trim Dressing Applicator - AutoBuff
Amazon.com: KAEZDD 1 Pack Large Tire Shine Applicator Pad, Durable and Reusable Hex-Grip Tire Dressing Applicator Pad for Applying Tire Shine (1) : Automotive

IMG-5334.jpg

IMG-5342.jpg

Ones to avoid – the Gyeon applicators are pretty average, as are these yellow and grey jobbies from Car Care Products. I’m also not a fan of using the round wax applicators, they are so messy to use. And this might come across as odd considering I place a priority on keeping the dressing off my hands, but I don’t care for the foam applicators with the plastic hand grip.

Gyeon Q2M Tire Applicator Small/Large (2 Pack) (detailingshed.com.au)
Speciality Brands Tyre Dressing Applicator | Product | Car Care Products Australia
Amazon.com: Tire Dressing Applicator 3 Pieces Shine Car Cleaning Supplies, Foam for Detailing, Durable and Reusable Pads Sponges Glass, 2.7in x 1.5in x 4in, Red, Black, Blue : Automotive
Amazon.com: Meguiar's W0004 Supreme Shine 4" Foam Applicator Pads - 4 Pack : Everything Else

IMG_9125.jpg

Microfiber –

I don’t use these personally, not sure why though. Cost wise, these can actually be cheaper than foam for some reason. The caveat here is no separator/hand grip to avoid those sticky fingers, so I guess that’s why I don’t use them.

The Rag Company sell black, terry weave applicator sponges with tire dressing in mind. However, I have found them to lack structural integrity compared to a good foam applicator. At $3.85 each, they are at least cheap and will give you multiple uses.

The Rag Company – 3'' X 5'' MICROFIBER TERRY DETAILING SPONGE APPLICAT (detailingshed.com.au)
Microfiber Terry Applicator Sponge | The Rag Company

y9.jpg

Brushes -

Brushes are best suited to runnier liquids such as diluted Perl or Adams Graphene. I have a feeling I learnt about using brushes for applying tire dressing from Obsessed Garage. Initially, I couldn’t find a suitable brush for this task, as in one large enough to be effective.

jul139.jpg

jul138.jpg

Ideally, you want a brush with a lot of surface area to be efficient and I didn’t find one suitable until I bit the bullet and imported some RaceGlaze XL’s from Obsessed Garage. This brush is huge, almost too big for cleaning lug nuts, but ideal for applying dressings. You could also look at a large chalk brush for a similar effect.

Detailing Brush | RaceGlaze XL | Obsessed Garage Store
Supersize Natural Bristle Detailing brush - raceglaze.com.au
Chalk and Wax Paint Brush Large 2-In-1 Round Natural Bristles Painting Tool for 4894847162764 | eBay

To use, spray the dressing into the bristles are work it into the sidewall.

IMG-0091.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

chalkb1.jpg

A flag tipped wheel and body brush is brilliant for applying runny dressings to larger SUV and truck tires. Spray the dressing directly into the bristles and start working it across the sidewall. This method is supremely fast and efficient on large, knobbly tires. I learnt this trick from some very old school detailers on the Autogeek forum.

Get Economax Wheel and Tyre Brush Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care
Soft Grip Wheel and Body Brush - Case | The Rag Company

IMG-3411.jpg

IMG-3418.jpg

IMG-3419.jpg

The TRC Ultra Utility Brush is very good for this too -

The Rag Company Ultra Utility Brush (detailingshed.com.au)
Ultra Utility Brush | The Rag Company

IMG-7715.jpg

IMG-7882.jpg

A trend of late has been the re-purposed use of cosmetic brushes. The detailing companies won’t say this, but some are simply rebranded cosmetic brushes. Some are more dedicated –

The Detail Factory Curveball brush was primarily designed for interior and exterior cleaning but has also been successfully used for applying tire dressings. The bristles are ultra soft and work surprisingly well. Again, you would probably stick to runnier dressings. The only thing that counts against it is the price. This brush is just too expensive, and too nice, to be sacrificing it to this role. You can actually get Chinese knockoffs through Amazon and Ebay for up to half the price, although how you feel about intellectual theft of this type is going to be a personal thing.

Detail Factory Curveball Large Area Detailing Brush (detailingshed.com.au)
Detail Factory - Curveball XL Synthetic Brush | The Rag Company

CleanSkin XL Synthetic Detailing Brush with Stand - Curveball – The Detail Store
Ultra Soft Bristles Comes with Rack Covers Car Detail Brush Cleaning Detail Tool | eBay

IMG-3451.jpg

IMG-3469.jpg

These next two are most certainly repurposed cosmetic brushes, and they work brilliantly too. The extremely soft and dense bristles are stunningly effective.

MAXSHINE Ultra Soft Handled Detailing Brush (detailingshed.com.au)
Maxshine Ultra Soft Detailing Brush (detailingshed.com.au)
soft makeup brush - Google Shopping

IMG-3114.jpg

IMG-3128.jpg

IMG-3119.jpg

IMG-6436.jpg

IMG-6442.jpg

Ones to avoid – smaller boar’s hair brushes will work but will be more time consuming………….ask me how I know this! And I would also say that if you intend on using a paint brush, be sure to wrap the metal bristle holder in electrical tape to safeguard against scraping your wheels or bodywork.

Conclusions –

Tire dressing applicators are probably one of the more personal choices when it comes to detailing tools. At the end of the day, its all about what feels comfortable to use and what best suits the sort of tires you have. Any of the above will do the job and do it well.

IMG-5485.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Another one OUT OF THE PARK!

And now I'm convinced, D, you, like myself, suffer from OCD. <smiling> Talk about DETAILED (no pun intended,) not to mention the depth of the product lines...holy chidt! Well done as always my friend.

As for the applicators, I think I've told you before that I have been using the Wonder Wave Durafoam for years.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
+1 KB. I’m on my way home tomorrow from Rome and all I want to do is wash and seal my tires. Is there a cure for this sickness? :giggle: :like:

Thank you DB, as always!