Sponsored

The Tyre Dressing Form Guide

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
No, sorry I haven't.

I love applying tire dressing, so the concept of a long lasting solution would be wasted on me.

Important to note with any of these longer-term tire coatings is the prep prior to application must be spot on to achieve the quoted longevity claims. That means lots of scrubbing.

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
Dressing tires is my absolute favorite detailing task and is ultimately the finishing touch. Somehow, I have managed to collect 23 different tire products over the last few years. Far, far, far too many, but shoot me, I’m a tire dressing hustler. :blush:

IMG-2880.jpg

There are three main types of tire enhancement products;

1. Dressings – these are short term products used to enhance or “dress” a tire. Expect up to a week or two longevity.

2. Sealants – these products typically last longer than a dressing, one to three months.

3. Coatings – these are said to be the longest lasting of all, up to 6 months, good if you want something set and forget.

With some exceptions, these products are typically split into two different formulation types;

1. Water based – these offer the least longevity, but are far easier to apply, offer more variability to visual taste, are easier to remove and generally wont sling onto bodywork. These are my go-to these days. Water based dressings can be applied to wet or dry tires.

2. Solvent based – these last the longest, but require more care in application, can accumulate dust and dirt, can be messier to remove and do have the ability to sling. Best applied to a cleaned and dried tire surface.

IMG-3114.jpg

The elephant in the room when talking about tire dressings is the word “shine”. From a personal perspective, I tend to avoid calling these products “Tire Shine”, as for me, that is not the goal. That doesn’t mean I disapprove of a shiny tire, we all like different things. Some prefer a natural undressed tire. Some prefer a glossy, wet look tire. I sit in the middle, not too shiny, but definitely enhanced. A satin sheen the pros would call it.

I came up with the following analogy to what I prefer –

Let’s say you are going out to lunch with friends, perhaps at a nice café. Clearly, you don’t want to turn up in your pajama's, technically you are clothed but perhaps a little undressed. The equivalent of an undressed tire. But you also don’t want to overdo it and show up in a swish black tuxedo, the equivalent to a glossy tire. Instead, you wear a nice pair of jeans, a smart button up shirt and some posh shoes. In other words, smart but not overdone, the equivalent to a satin sheen tire.

IMG-2685.jpg

Note – the success or otherwise of a tire dressing, sealant or coating comes down the preparation put in prior to application. I never understood the point of cleaning tires, but once I started doing it, I noticed a huge improvement in a couple of key areas. Firstly, the application process seemed to be much smoother, the tire accepting the product much better. And of course, the whole point this exercise, a cleaned tire with a dressing applied looks so much better. I will cover tire cleaners and application methods in a future post.

Note – Longevity claims for tire products is hugely variable, aspects like rain, application prep and rubber compound all factor in real world longevity. As such, most of the detailing companies won’t provide set time frames other than non-committal terms like “long lasting” or “durable”. So, take the longevity section for each product as guide – your milage may vary.

With that, let’s talk product!

The Beginnings –

I’m going back to the early 2000’s here and a teenaged DFB. At the time, there was no such thing as online specialty detailing suppliers, so we chose products from the shelf of a local automotive store. As a cash strapped student, that meant those cheap and horrible cans of aerosol tire shine that produced at classy (yeah right :facepalm:) wet look.

From there, I progressed into products like Meguiar’s Endurance, Meguiar’s Hot Shine and Autoglym High Performance Tyre Gel. I’m grouping all these together as one because they all did the same thing, producing a longish lasting glossy look. Because of the solvent base, they were messy to apply, never really dried and therefore accumulated dust and dirt. As such, they initially produced a black, glossy look which quickly turned into a brown, glossy look. The final straw was brushing past a tire one morning on the way to said café, leaving black streaks on my favorite pair of jeans. Not cool! :frown: Although there was one more solvent based product, which is where I will start the formalities…………..

DSC-0103.jpg

(Autoglym HP) -

IMG-E2064.jpg

Gyeon Q2 Tire – this was the very first tire dressing I bought that wasn’t from an automotive chain store. A tire sealant, this product can last up to a month or “5 washes” due to its Si02 ceramic formulation. Q2 Tire works by penetrating and then bonding to the rubber, as such Gyeon claim a highly hydrophobic finish, which in turn improves longevity. It can be tailored, but its natural ability is to provide shine.

I can’t find information on whether this product is solvent based, but it sure acts like one. Q2 Tire is more gel like in consistency and requires more effort to thoroughly work into the rubber, while making sure to not overapply. I also highly recommend following the application with a knock down after 30 minutes, otherwise it will sling onto the paint………….ask me how I know this!

In the end, I stopped using this product due to messy application and sling potential. But, Q2 Tire is a great choice for those who don’t like applying after each wash.

Prices –
$32.99 AUD / $21.99 USD (400ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Solvent Si02 Tyre Sealant
Scent – Pleasant, similar to other Gyeon products like Prep & Bathe
Consistency – Gel
Best Application Tool – Foam applicator
Ease of Application – Medium
Appearance– Satin to gloss
Longevity (Claimed) – 4 to 5 weeks
Longevity (Observed) – 3 to 4 weeks.
DFB Score – 7/10

ax4.jpg

NV Onyx – this is what I went to after giving up on Gyeon Q2 Tire and have been singing its praises ever since. Onyx is a water-based tire dressing with one of the most intoxicating caramel scents. Its natural result is a satin sheen but can be ramped up with a second layer. It also provides UV protection and a hydrophobic finish.

The hand cream-like consistency is silky smooth to apply, spreading across the tire with supreme ease. I also like the non-greasy finish and the non-slinging formula. Combined with the fabulous scent, Onyx nails the user experience.

Prices –
$26.95 AUD / $18.99 USD (500ml)
$43.60 AUD / $29.99 (1 Lt)
$130.95 (4 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation - Water based dressing
Scent – Carmel
Consistency – Lotion-like
Best Application Tool – Foam Applicator
Ease of Application – Smooth and easy
Appearance – Satin
Longevity (Claimed) – “Weeks, not days”
Longevity (Observed) – 2 weeks
DFB Score – 10/10

oct2722.jpg

Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing – it’s been a very long time since I used this product, in fact I mostly used it as an engine bay dressing. Compared to the companies’ other tire product, this version is water based and has much runnier consistency. The big benefit Autoglym highlight is the ability to apply it to a wet or dry surface. It also delivers a much less glossy appearance compared to HP Tyre Gel and is not as sickly scented.

While I haven’t tried this for a while, I do remember enjoying the natural look it achieved and the easy application. Would also make a great wheel well dressing. For the price, its not a bad option and available at most auto stores.

Prices –
$16.00 AUD (500ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Water-based dressing
Scent – Mild
Consistency – Runny
Best Application Tool – Foam applicator or brush
Ease of Application – Easy
Appearance – Matte / Satin
Longevity (Claimed) – Not stated
Longevity (Observed) – Expect a week at best
DFB Score – 7/10

agitd101.jpg

303 Protectant - this is not an obvious choice as a tyre dressing, but its a great choice for a effortless matte finish.

303's best attribute is the ultra-easy application. The finished result on tyres is not obvious, which is a good thing if you prefer a subtle touch.

Prices –
$28.95 AUD / $15.99 USD (473 ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Water-based dressing
Scent – None
Consistency – Runny
Best Application Tool – Foam applicator or brush
Appearance – Matte
Longevity (Observed) – 1 week
DFB Score – 7/10

apr226.jpg

Gyeon Tire Express – Gyeon describe this product as a “daily tire and rubber dressing”. That doesn’t necessarily mean that you apply it every day, rather that it’s been designed for regular applications compared to the companies longer lasting tyre sealant, Q2 Tire. It’s also been tailored for a matte or “natural” look that can be built upon if desired.

In use, Tire Express is easier to apply than Q2 Tire, requiring far less working to achieve a uniform appearance. For some reason though, I just never warmed to it. It’s a good product, but it didn’t wow me. As a bonus, its freely available in automotive stores.

Prices –
$28.99 AUD / $20.99 (400ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Water based dressing
Scent – Light Caramel
Best Application Tool – Foam Applicator
Appearance – Matte / Satin
Longevity (Claimed) – “2 washes”
Longevity (Observed) – 1 to 2 weeks
DFB Score – 7/10

IMG-0732.jpg

Chemical Guys VRP – a water-based dressing, VRP is the brands best product. But it’s certainly not worth the better part of $40 they charge for it in Australia! Chemical Guys suggest that VRP will make rubber and plastic “shine like new” and can be used on interior and exterior surfaces. Frankly, due to the claim of “super shine”, I wouldn’t be using this on interior plastics unless you want to make your dashboard look like an oil slick.

The big plus for VRP is the ease of use, the application is super smooth and offers great coverage. The scent is pleasing too. But the achilleas heal, like ALL Chemical Guys products, is the complete lack of longevity. For the price, there are soooo many better options out there.

Prices –
$39.99 AUD / $12.49 USD (473ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Caramel
Appearance – Gloss
Longevity (Claimed) – Not stated other than “Long Lasting Protection”
Longevity (Observed) – A few days at best
DFB Score – 4/10

IMG-9367.jpg

Carpro Perl – this is one of Carpro’s best known products, and for good reason. A water-based dressing, Perl’s versatility really sets it apart, from tires to exterior plastics, engine bay dressing, interior plastic dressing and even leather. It can be used neat or right out to 5:1. It provides UV protection and can deliver gloss right down to a matte/barely there appearance depending on dilution. It’s also very economical owing to the concentrate formula.

I will have to admit, this is a product that has grown on me. My initial use didn’t go well, I didn’t understand dilution ratios at the time, as such, I simply mixed it with too much water. I would later use it undiluted and begun to fall in love with it. I now tend to use it mixed at 3:1, which makes a brush application possible, especially useful on larger sidewalls. The big selling point in my view is the deep, dark appearance it imparts and the ability to tailor it to a desired appearance. The finished result is a dry to touch. Easily one of the best tyre dressings on the market. (As a side note, Perl is one of the few dressings to work well on Michelin PS4’s tires, which can be difficult to achieve consistent and even finish on.)

Prices –
$22.95 AUD / $17.59 USD (500ml)
$39.95 AUD / $27.99 USD (1 Lt)
$142.95 AUD / $104.99 USD (4 Lt)

Dilution – Neat (Tyres), 1:1 (Tyres, External Plastics), 1:3 (Engine bays, external plastics), 5:1 (interior use)
Type/Formulation – Silicone Oxide Water based dressing
Scent – None
Consistency – Lotion-like, runny when diluted
Best Application Tool – Brush (in diluted forms) or foam applicator (when used neat)
Appearance – Gloss to matte
Longevity (Claimed) – “Up to 3 months”
DFB Score – 10/10

IMG-2580.jpg

Obsessed Garage Tire Dressing – this product replaced Perl as Matt’s tire dressing of choice. It’s a water-based dressing that is said to be easier to apply than Perl and last a little longer. Originally, the product was sent to Matt as a sample by a follower, and after eventually testing it, Matt committed to sourcing and bottling the product on site. Late last year, the OG Tire Dressing made it to Australian shores in a couple of select online retailers.

This is my go-to tyre dressing for Michelin PS4S’s, it being able to deliver a consistent, matte or satin finish. If more gloss is required, apply additional coats. Dry to touch, OG Tire Dressing smells divine and does not sling onto body work. I also find a very light wipe after 20 minutes delivers a seamless, smooth finish that really enhances without looking “dressed”. A little pricy, but it does offer excellent coverage. Easily a favorite of mine.

Prices –
$69.50 AUD / $50.00 USD (1 Lt)
$199.00 AUD / $85.00 USD (3.8 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Sweet Cherry
Consistency – Lotion-like, runny enough to go through a sprayer though
Best Application Tool – Brush
Appearance – Satin to matte
Longevity (Claimed) – None Stated
Longevity (Observed) – 2 to 3 weeks
DFB Score – 10/10

IMG-0368.jpg

Meguiar’s Hyper Dressing – this product is from the Meguiar’s professional line and has been a staple for commercial detailers for a very long time. Originally, Hyper Dressing was only available in larger quantities, which could then be diluted to suit a variety of uses; tyres, wheel arches, engine bays, exterior plastic and interior surfaces. However, 3.8 litres of concentrate is far too much for the average enthusiast detailer, not to mention the cost factor. However, Megs have been pre-diluting Hyper Dressing at 1:1 in an RTU format for a couple of years.

I have mostly used Hyper Dressing on engine bays, diluted out to 5:1 for a natural finish. At the 1:1 ratio in RTU form, it will product a moderate to high gloss finish on tyres. Its supremely easy to apply and achieve a consistent look. Finding some is probably its least enticing aspect.

Prices –
$44.99 AUD / $23.99 USD(946 ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted (RTU form)
Scent – Sweet Cherry
Consistency – Lotion-like, runny when diluted
Best Application Tool – Brush or foam applicator
Appearance – Satin to high gloss
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated
DFB Score – 8/10

IMG-0948.jpg

Duragloss 253 / 254 – this is an old school product that if you know, you know. 253 seems to be much longer lasting than most water-based dressings, owing to the water-resistant polymers, and delivers an enhanced natural rubber appearance.

This is a runnier product and goes on quite milky but dries to a dry finish. I like applying it larger tires, using a wheel and body brush to improve efficiency. 253 is a bit of sleeper, although its restricted to one outlet in Australia. If you are aiming for a matte or “barely there” look, this is a very good option to consider.

Prices –
$29.99 AUD / $18.50 USD (562 ml) (253)
$69.99 AUD / $85.90 USD (1.9 Lt) (254)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – None
Consistency – Runny liquid
Appearance – Matte / Natural
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated other than “long lasting”
Longevity (Observed) – 3 weeks
DFB Score – 8/10

IMG-0100.jpg

Koch Chemie Plast Star PSS –this product is a silicone-oil free dressing for external plastic, rubber trim and tires. The formulation bonds to the treated surface and delivers a semi-matte finish and provides UV protection for the preservation of new surfaces, or rejuvenation of older surfaces.

Plast Star is an unusual product, feeling like no other tire dressing I have experienced. The clear runny liquid applies quite wet but then turns tacky/sticky as it begins to set. That factor is helpful in determining if you have worked the product for long enough. It smells and feels like an evaporative IPA solvent. The finish is a satin sheen and seems to last quite well too. Pricey, but well worth looking at for sure.

Prices –
$50.95 AUD / $39.99 USD(1 Lt)
$423.95 AUD (10 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Solvent based “Preserver”
Scent – “Solventy”
Consistency – Clear Runny liquid
Ease of Application – Moderate, the tackiness takes a bit to get used to
Appearance – Satin to Semi-gloss
Longevity (Claimed) – “Months”
Longevity (Observed) – 3 to 4 weeks
DFB Score – 8/10

IMG-3809.jpg

AMMO Mud – not an especially obtainable product for the Australian market, I paid waaaay too much to have a bottle of this. Mud is a water-based tyre dressing that is sweetly scented and produces a semi-gloss appearance. It’s said to fast drying and long lasting.

The black gel like consistency requires a little more effort to massage into a dry tire surface, but rewards with an ultra-dark, uniform finish. The cherry scent is not unlike Meguiar’s sling-city Endurance. A nice product, but not worth going hungry for a week to pay for it to be shipped to Australia.

Prices –
$27.60 AUD / $18.00 USD (473 ml) (Shipping is prohibitive)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Cherry
Consistency – Thick gel
Ease of Application – Moderate
Appearance – Satin to Semi-gloss
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated but described as “Long Lasting”
DFB Score – 7/10

IMG-1670.jpg

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Dressing – Optimum products tend to fly under the radar, which is a shame because the company makes some really good offerings. Opti-Bond is a water-based dressing, designed for a non-greasy high gloss finish, while also providing UV protection.

To be frank, I didn’t enjoy using this product. I think it was just too blatantly glossy for my taste. It’s application is smooth, and longevity is ok, but it didn’t float my boat. I did however learn to always buy the smallest bottle possible until you discover if you actually like the product, as such, I have the better part of a liter of Opti-Bond sitting unused at the back of the cabinet. You win some, you lose some.

Prices –
$19.95 AUD / $8.99 USD (236 ml)
$43.95 AUD / $24.99 USD (946 ml)
$99.95 AUD / $70.00 USD (3.8 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted or at 1:1
Scent – None
Consistency – Thick gel
Ease of Application – Easy, smooth
Appearance – High-gloss
DFB Score – 5/10

IMG-3278.jpg

Stjarnagloss Gummi – this is another multi-use water based dressing, able to be applied to plastic and rubber trim as well as tyres. It offers UV protection and is a fast drying, high gloss formula.

Again, another product I don’t really like. Its high gloss look doesn’t last long, becoming blotchy after a few days. It also puts up little to no defense to water, so simply washes off at the next wash or in the rain. Granted, its application is smooth and easy, but that can’t make up for the lackluster performance. I have to say, most of the products from this brand I have hated.

Prices –
$27.99 AUD / $22.00 USD (500 ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Slight, almost like dishwashing liquid
Appearance – Satin to gloss
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated but described as “Long Lasting”
Longevity (Observed) – A few days, a week at best
DFB Score – 2/10

IMG-4766.jpg

Angelwax Elixir – this is one of those products from a company that choses to provide little to no information on their products. As such, how do they even manage to sell product if people can’t make an informed decision? So, I can’t remember why I had the confidence to actually buy Elixir. A water based dressing, it can be used on exterior trim and tires. It’s also said to provide a “waterproof barrier" too, but apart from that, I can’t say anything more.

Having said that, I love this dressing! The runny consistency makes coverage simple, and the dry to touch finish is just the most delightful satin sheen. No wipe downs or excessive buffing required. It’s such a shame no one knows about it, as it really is a terrific product.

Prices –
$32.50 AUD / $16.99 USD (500 ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – None
Appearance – Satin sheen
DFB Score – 9/10

IMG-6634.jpg

Adam's Graphene Tire Dressing – a brand with a variety of tire dressings, Adam’s released a Graphene version a few years ago. Now, I really didn’t buy this product for the Graphene, or maybe I did? My theory was, I wanted to try the Adam’s dressing that would be different from most of the products already in my cabinet. The fact that the Graphene element is that differentiating factor has nothing to do with the current Graphene fad that is taking over the industry.

The formation appears to be water based but has “graphene infused ceramic resins” added to improve longevity and provide a deep black appearance. Adam’s suggest that it was designed for larger tread block tires and that it wont sling.

I had absolutely no expectations with this product but was instantly impressed. The runny liquid applies easily, something that is valuable on larger SUV tires. But the finish is what sets it apart, the matte finish has little to no gloss to it and it simply enhances the look without being overdone. Be sure to shake the bottle well prior to use to redistribute the graphene. Yes, its expensive, but don’t sleep on this product, its truly excellent.

Prices –
$49.95 AUD / $16.99 USD (473 ml)
$199.99 AUD / $69.99 USD (3.8 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Watermelon
Appearance – Matte to Satin
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated other than “Highly Durable”
DFB Score – 10/10

IMG-4813.jpg

Auto Finesse Satin – this is what Auto Finesse describes as a “progressive finish” dressing, as in it can be built upon to the desired look. At its core though, and as the name suggests, Satin produces a satin look, the most “barely there” end result I have come across. The water based formula has UV inhibitors and has a crème like consistency.

In use, Satin will easily provide a subtle enhancement with no buffing to deliver that matte finish. I have not tried layering Satin, frankly there are other products that can do gloss with one application. The product is effortless to apply.

Prices –
$22.50 USD / $18.95 USD (500 ml) (Clearance Price)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Berries
Appearance – Matte to Satin to Low Gloss
DFB Score – 5/10

IMG-6453.jpg

P&S Shine All – this a brand that has a large number of solvent and water-based dressings to choose from, too many to the point of confusion in my opinion. Shine All is part of the Double Black line, as such is focused on the enthusiast market. The water-based Shine All was designed for a glossier appearance and especially tailored for larger sidewalls and rough surfaces. It can also be diluted to reduce its gloss potential.

Application is simply, best teamed with a foam applicator and coverage from the runny liquid is excellent. This is not a wow product, rather it’s a workhorse.

Prices –
$27.95 AUD / $14.10 USD(473 ml)
$89.95 AUD / $50.70 USD (3.8 Lt)
$196.95 AUD (19 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted but can be watered down if desired
Scent – None
Consistency – Slightly thick runny liquid
Appearance – High Gloss
DFB Score – 6/10

IMG-5839.jpg

P&S Dynamic Dressing – this is primarily aimed at interior dressing but can also be used on tyres. It’s now only available in pre-diluted form, but the water-based formula allows for further dilution if desired. Think of Dynamic as P&S’s version of Perl, as in used on multiple surfaces.

The Banana scent is what you notice first, other than that, it doesn’t excel as a tyre dressing.

Prices –
$31.95 AUD / $16.90 USD (473ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted but can be watered down if desired
Scent – Banana
Consistency – Runny Liquid
Appearance – Satin
DFB Score – 6/10

IMG-5904.jpg

P&S Shape Up – yet another multi-surface water-based dressing from P&S. Much is made about the UV protective factor with Shape Up as well as the statement that it will last for “weeks”. I see this product as an alternative to Meguiar’s Hyper Dressing.

Like all of these P&S dressings, the runny consistency is easy to apply. The finish left is a natural, matte to satin look. Again, a workhorse product rather than a wow product. Well priced.

Prices –
$26.95 AUD / $9.99 USD (473ml)
$78.95 AUD / $52.99 USD (3.8 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Lemon
Consistency – Runny Liquid
Appearance – Natural to Matte
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated other than “weeks”
DFB Score – 6/10

IMG-5831.jpg

Gtechniq T2 – a brand that offers two tyre products, T2 is the water-based version with less longevity compared to T1 Tyre Coating. T2 apparently repels dirt and is body shop safe. Gloss finish and non-slinging.

I don’t really like this product, it just doesn’t wow or excel. Not worth the bother.

Prices –
$13.60 AUD / $7.95 USD (250ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – None
Appearance – Glossy
Longevity (Claimed) – Not Stated other than “good durability”
DFB Score – 2/10

gtt2101.jpg

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Graphene Acrylic Tire Shine Spray Coating – yes, that is what the product is officially called. Perhaps Turtle Wax thought by throwing as many words as possible into the product name that they would convince stupid people into thinking this is the most advanced product you can apply to your tyres. This is not rocket science, it’s just a tyre shine. Completely unnecessary and confusing name aside, I bought this product after hearing other tyre-dressing-junkies singing its praises. Considered a sealant rather than dressing, the graphene and acrylic polymers are said to improve longevity, quoted as “months of shine and protection”. The product delivers a jet-black glossy finish.

This is a weird product, one that I found to produce a slightly uneven finished result. As the name suggests, it smells like acrylic paint. Dry to touch, it offers decent longevity though but does take a little more aggression to remove. Frankly, if Turtle Wax spent less time getting as many fancy sounding words into the name and a little more time on the user experience, this would be a much nicer product to use.

Prices –
$36.00 AUD / $12.00 USD (680 ml)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Sealant
Scent – Like house paint
Ease of Application – Moderate
Appearance – Glossy
Longevity (Claimed) – “Months and Months”
Longevity (Observed) – 1+ Month
DFB Score – 2/10

IMG-6403.jpg

Carpro Darkside – this is a relatively new product in the Carpro range, Darkside launched in late January. This solvent-based tyre sealant offers up to 3 months durability and is claimed to offer excellent hydrophobic and self-cleaning properties. It’s big claim to fame is the deep, dark satin finish it produces.

Being solvent based, I didn’t really know if I was going to like this product. However, the finished results speak for themselves, and the claims of a deeper, darker result are realized. The scent is pleasing, and longevity is better than Perl, although the 3-month claim is widely optimistic. The only drawback to Darkside is that it needs extensive working to provide an even, consistent look. You also need to avoid water contact for 1-2 hours. Apart from that, this is a favorite of mine.

Prices –
$31.00 AUD / $19.99 USD (500 ml)
$49.95 AUD / $32.99 USD (1 Lt)
$117.95 AUD / $99.99 USD (4 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Type/Formulation – Solvent based sealant
Scent – Cherry
Ease of Application – Moderate-Difficult
Appearance – Satin to Glossy
Longevity (Claimed) – “Up to 3 months”
Longevity (Observed) – 1+ Month
DFB Score - 9/10

IMG-7204.jpg

DIY Detail Tire Dressing – a new brand to Australia, one that focuses on simple, easy to use pro-grade products. This is a runny, water-based dressing that delivers a glossy non-greasy finish that can be adjusted to taste. UV protection is a key aspect highlighted by DIY.

The application is simple and effective with excellent coverage. Its able to be teamed with a brush or foam applicator. This not a stellar product, but it does achieve what the brand sets out to be.

Prices –
$29.95 AUD / $13.99 USD (473 ml)
$175.95 AUD / $79.99 USD (3.8 Lt)

Dilution – Pre-diluted
Scent – Apple
Consistency –Runny liquid
Best Application Tool – Foam applicator or Brush
Appearance – Satin to Glossy
DFB Score - 7/10

IMG_8169.jpg

Conclusions -

I have to say, there are very few tyre dressings that I dislike, but there are certainly some standouts.

Carpro Perl, NV Onyx and Obsessed Garage Tire Dressing are easily the favorites in my rotation. Honorable mentions go to Adam's Graphene and Koch Chemie Plast Star. Carpro Darkside has also impressed of late.

Coming next, tire cleaners and cleaning.
What a ridiculously amazing post!!!!

Question: those days longetivity: if the car sits in the garage does it remain unaffected ror months?

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
What a ridiculously amazing post!!!!

Question: those days longetivity: if the car sits in the garage does it remain unaffected ror months?
Correct, if the car is sitting un-used, the dressing will stay there.

When the car is used, exposure to heat, cold, rain or washing will degrade the dressing.

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Correct, if the car is sitting un-used, the dressing will stay there.

When the car is used, exposure to heat, cold, rain or washing will degrade the dressing.
Bought the Carpro Perl!

i notice it has multiple uses, is this product jusf to gloss things up? Eg engine bay, interior dashboard?
I am happy for the wheels to look nice but dont want an "oily" interior

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Bought the Carpro Perl!

i notice it has multiple uses, is this product jusf to gloss things up? Eg engine bay, interior dashboard?
I am happy for the wheels to look nice but dont want an "oily" interior
Carpro Perl is supremely versatile, able to be used on tires, engine bay plastics, exterior plastics, interior plastics and even leather. But......................................... I really only I like it for tires.

If diluted appropriately, Perl won't look greasy on interior surfaces, rather just enhance. I didn't like the application feel on interior surfaces, or the slipperiness it created on leather. I also don't like a very obviously dressed interior, so you may feel differently. In fact, I know of someone who applied Perl UNDILUTED to interior plastics...................far, far too much for me.

Dilution Ratios for Perl -

Tires - Undiluted out to 1:1.

I flip around here on this, sometimes I just use it straight from the bottle and buff it back. Others, I think it works better diluted, especially on larger tires where you need better coverage. In this case, you won't always need to knock it back. Again, taste comes into it.

Exterior Plastics - 1:1 out to 3:1

I would suggest closer to 3:1 to control the gloss. I prefer 303 over Perl for this role, not sure why to be honest. Having said that, Perl at 3:1 makes a good wheel arch dressing, go figure.

Interior Plastics & Leather - 5:1

This is where your gloss control comes into it with a dilution like this, so you won't achieve a greasy look like my mate who likes it undiluted for interiors. To be clear, I did like the look of Perl used like this, I just felt 303 is nicer to apply, spreading easier.

Engine Bay: 1:1 out to 3:1

Again, I would favor 3:1 to control the gloss.

In terms of diluting, you will need a spray bottle and a way of accurately measuring those dilutions. In my earlier years, I screwed this up by just making assumptions and therefore guessing. A couple of ways I do this now -

- This website is brilliant for making dilution calculators. You can also download Apps on your phone for this too. I always say that I'm a gardener and a detailer, math was never a strong suit.

Dilution Ratio Calculator (omnicalculator.com)

You only need two values to get your calculation. For example, you want to make up 500ml of Perl at 3:1, adding those two into the calculator brings you to 125ml of Perl and 375ml of water, preferably distilled/demineralized to avoid variabilities.

- Buy one of these Carpro bottles that has a dilution scale printed on the side. These are available in 500ml and 1000ml sizes. I have both, but you only need the 500ml version. You can then use this bottle for Perl or decant it into something nicer if you choose.

CarPro Dilute | Waxit – Waxit Car Care
Get Kwazar Mercury Super 360 Pro | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

cpd101.jpg

IMG-1705.jpg

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Carpro Perl is supremely versatile, able to be used on tires, engine bay plastics, exterior plastics, interior plastics and even leather. But......................................... I really only I like it for tires.

If diluted appropriately, Perl won't look greasy on interior surfaces, rather just enhance. I didn't like the application feel on interior surfaces, or the slipperiness it created on leather. I also don't like a very obviously dressed interior, so you may feel differently. In fact, I know of someone who applied Perl UNDILUTED to interior plastics...................far, far too much for me.

Dilution Ratios for Perl -

Tires - Undiluted out to 1:1.

I flip around here on this, sometimes I just use it straight from the bottle and buff it back. Others, I think it works better diluted, especially on larger tires where you need better coverage. In this case, you won't always need to knock it back. Again, taste comes into it.

Exterior Plastics - 1:1 out to 3:1

I would suggest closer to 3:1 to control the gloss. I prefer 303 over Perl for this role, not sure why to be honest. Having said that, Perl at 3:1 makes a good wheel arch dressing, go figure.

Interior Plastics & Leather - 5:1

This is where your gloss control comes into it with a dilution like this, so you won't achieve a greasy look like my mate who likes it undiluted for interiors. To be clear, I did like the look of Perl used like this, I just felt 303 is nicer to apply, spreading easier.

Engine Bay: 1:1 out to 3:1

Again, I would favor 3:1 to control the gloss.

In terms of diluting, you will need a spray bottle and a way of accurately measuring those dilutions. In my earlier years, I screwed this up by just making assumptions and therefore guessing. A couple of ways I do this now -

- This website is brilliant for making dilution calculators. You can also download Apps on your phone for this too. I always say that I'm a gardener and a detailer, math was never a strong suit.

Dilution Ratio Calculator (omnicalculator.com)

You only need two values to get your calculation. For example, you want to make up 500ml of Perl at 3:1, adding those two into the calculator brings you to 125ml of Perl and 375ml of water, preferably distilled/demineralized to avoid variabilities.

- Buy one of these Carpro bottles that has a dilution scale printed on the side. These are available in 500ml and 1000ml sizes. I have both, but you only need the 500ml version. You can then use this bottle for Perl or decant it into something nicer if you choose.

CarPro Dilute | Waxit – Waxit Car Care
Get Kwazar Mercury Super 360 Pro | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

cpd101.jpg

IMG-1705.jpg
Amazing post again!

Kudos

I might use this for engine bay diluted well and wheels only

I want that showroom car look for wheels
But for interior i dont want for my fingers/hands/clothes to have any residue on jt

Ps i think the one i ordered comes with a dilutuion bottle too!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
D: I have a question...

I love the Mercury bottles but have had two or three of the spray heads fail. Ever had this happen with them? The spray pattern gets odd and then it stops pumping completely.

I much prefer the Mercury spray heads over almost anything else but I can't justify buying more of them with the track record I've experienced.

Thanks, bro.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
D: I have a question...

I love the Mercury bottles but have had two or three of the spray heads fail. Ever had this happen with them? The spray pattern gets odd and then it stops pumping completely.

I much prefer the Mercury spray heads over almost anything else but I can't justify buying more of them with the track record I've experienced.

Thanks, bro.
It all depends on the chemical you are using. In the 3.5 years I have used them, I've only had a couple of failures spread across about 25 of the things.

IMG-1517.jpg

dec306.jpg

For example, I went through three of those spray heads with Shine Supply Wise Guy. The extreme alkalinity meant they only lasted a couple of months at best. In the end, I decided to use that chemical in a pump action sprayer.

IMG_1985.jpg

The other example being a product called Guf from Koch Chemie. Although not completely failed, I need to pump the trigger 20 to 30 times to get it spraying. That chemical also turned the soft rubber pickup tube as hard as a rock. I'm not sure what causes it, likely the high alcohol content of the chemical.

IMG_3959.jpg

The only other failure I have had with them was when I accidentally knocked a bottle off the shelf and snapped the spray head in two, hardly Kwazar's fault.

IMG_0534.jpg

My supplier has this at the bottom of the product description of these sprayers -

"We recommend avoiding use of Tyre Shine products with these Mercury triggers as they are known to cause premature failure. Please check the chemical Ph rating you're using before use as incorrect use isn't covered under warranty. "

The following have worked completely fine -

Glass cleaners, detail sprays/drying aids/spray sealants/clay lubes, interior/leather/fabric cleaners, runnier liquid dressings like Perl, 303 or Hyper Dressing, Carpro Eraser.

I would avoid the following -

Solvent based dressings, solvents like TarX or Eulex, highly alkaline wheel/tire products, bug removers, acidic wheel cleaners or water spot removers, APC's.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
D: Based on the above, no doubt it was the chemicals I had in them so I will now pay more attention. Do you use "throwaway" sprayers on the nasty stuff or do you know of a "sprayer" that can handle the harsher environment?

I love the Mercury bottles and sprayers but I have also had multiple instances like yours where I had to pump for an eternity before it began to spray.

Many thanks, as always.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
D: Based on the above, no doubt it was the chemicals I had in them so I will now pay more attention. Do you use "throwaway" sprayers on the nasty stuff or do you know of a "sprayer" that can handle the harsher environment?

I love the Mercury bottles and sprayers but I have also had multiple instances like yours where I had to pump for an eternity before it began to spray.

Many thanks, as always.
One thing to check is the condition of the weighted filter on the end of the pickup tube, I have had instances where they have been "gummed" up with certain chemicals. Clean and clear to see if that makes a difference.

In terms of harsher chemicals, the Tolco and Canyon spray heads are apparently more chemical resistant. However, I have had Wise Guy and Brake Buster kill both. In this case, you are dealing with extreme alkalinity, so its just a matter of dealing with it.

Amazon.com: Tolco 28mm Gray Chemical Resistant Spray Head 9-1/4" Dip Tube (6-Pack) : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Canyon CHS-3AN Trigger Spray Head Chemical Resistant Sprayer 4 COLOURS AVAILABLE | eBay

Your other option would be to go with a pump action sprayer, which is what I use for Wise Guy now after a strong of failures. I went with a smaller Marolex Ergo, which is nicely sized and eliminates the chemical interacting with the components that make it spray. Been running Wise Guy like this for a couple of years now with no issue.

Marolex Industry Ergo | Hand Pump Foam Sprayer | Obsessed Garage

IMG-0037.jpg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
One thing to check is the condition of the weighted filter on the end of the pickup tube
As always, thanks for the in-depth reply, my friend. Ordered some Tolco's as I am completely out of heads. As for the alkalinity issues, I hadn't thought to check the pick up chingasso but I will, that could easily be my problem with the Mercury's. MOF, I need to order more of those.

I've had a couple of the Marolex sprayers for quite some time but 1) I didn't like how often pumping was required and 2) I wasn't entirely happy with the spray pattern. But, since you like them, I'll have to dig one out and give it another try.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
As always, thanks for the in-depth reply, my friend. Ordered some Tolco's as I am completely out of heads. As for the alkalinity issues, I hadn't thought to check the pick up chingasso but I will, that could easily be my problem with the Mercury's. MOF, I need to order more of those.

I've had a couple of the Marolex sprayers for quite some time but 1) I didn't like how often pumping was required and 2) I wasn't entirely happy with the spray pattern. But, since you like them, I'll have to dig one out and give it another try.
I've never really liked pump action sprayers either, I hate the lack of consistency they deliver. I only went with one here because I really like Wise Guy, but wanted some that actually worked with the product.

You can now get battery powered sprayers like this, taking the pump action out of the equation and delivering a consistent spray output.

The SOLO and Big Boi battery powered sprayers would work here too.

BIGBOI ELECTRIC SPRAYER – ibigboi.com
Solo Hand-Held Battery Powered Sprayer | Obsessed Garage

iK now produce one with a valve so you can pressurize the bottle with a compressor.

iK Foam Pro 2+ Sprayer | The Rag Company

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Johnny on the spot are you my Down Under friend. <grin>

Sadly, I did try one of the IK sprayers before the Marolex D but I was very disappointed with the results, and I threw it in the trash. Now, if Marolex would sell a model that could be pre-charged with a compressor, I'd be interested with the only caveat being the irregular spray pattern.

Do you have any experience with the BigBoi unit? I'm hesitant right off the bat with anything that requires battery charging and, sixty bones is a wee bit steep. I have already switched (or nearly so,) from Dewalt cordless tools to Milwaukee and the last thing I need is yet another proprietary model and the respective charger.

BUT, if it WORKS, I pretty much don't care about the price.

The thing is, I LOVE the Mercury's the best by far in terms of pumping and spray pattern plus, because of it's center of gravity, I can hang it from the pocket in my shorts while buffing and not have to set it down and pick it up again fifty times. :cool:

Now...if THEY made a model you could pre-charge with air, I'd be in heaven. <smiling>

Sleep well, mi amigo.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Johnny on the spot are you my Down Under friend. <grin>

Sadly, I did try one of the IK sprayers before the Marolex D but I was very disappointed with the results, and I threw it in the trash. Now, if Marolex would sell a model that could be pre-charged with a compressor, I'd be interested with the only caveat being the irregular spray pattern.

Do you have any experience with the BigBoi unit? I'm hesitant right off the bat with anything that requires battery charging and, sixty bones is a wee bit steep. I have already switched (or nearly so,) from Dewalt cordless tools to Milwaukee and the last thing I need is yet another proprietary model and the respective charger.

BUT, if it WORKS, I pretty much don't care about the price.

The thing is, I LOVE the Mercury's the best by far in terms of pumping and spray pattern plus, because of it's center of gravity, I can hang it from the pocket in my shorts while buffing and not have to set it down and pick it up again fifty times. :cool:

Now...if THEY made a model you could pre-charge with air, I'd be in heaven. <smiling>

Sleep well, mi amigo.
I too absolutely love the Kwazar Mercury's, I now have a mixture of both those and the Pressol equivalent, but...........................the build quality on the Kwazar is on another page.

IMG_6143.jpg

Kwazar also make a pump action sprayer, but not battery powered or able to be pressurized like the iK. It sits at the back of the cabinet to be honest. If I want foam, thats what I have a pressure washer and foam cannon for.

may54.jpg

may55.jpg

may56.jpg

I do have a iK, which I mainly use for rinse-less washing to get sufficient volume and coverage. Its ok and functionally well designed. But again, its the lack of spray consistency that lets it down for me personally. I think iK have sort of rested on their laurels in recent times, with no real innovation compared to what others are doing.

IMG_6557.jpg

I don't have any experience with the Big Boi, but have used the Solo extensively. In this case, the battery is integrated and charged with a USB cable, so no separate battery system. It also has a weighted pickup for 360 degree spraying.

The design has changed sinse I bought mine, but they function the same.

IMG-4618.jpg

IMG-4857.jpg

IMG-5182.jpg

And.............the Solo head will fit on the Kwazar and Pressol bottles.

IMG-5211.jpg
Sponsored