Sponsored

The best TIRE DRESSING? for the wettest look.........

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I do like the wet look but the Mequiars was not for me.

If you want the sloppiest, shiny, glossy, wettest of wet tire look, go with the Meguiar’s Endurance Tire Gel…. It’s definitely “wet” in appearance…

1657853635127.jpeg

I used it a few years back - it’s not for me… but if that’s what you are seeking, that product will give you “that look”.

——
I have used many tire sheen products, but settled on Croftgate Tire Shine. It’s not wet, it’s not glossy, it gives the tire a nice deep & clean black sidewall look… it doesn’t fling off onto the sides of the vehicle. It’s like a matte finish, but with minimal sheen…

1657853891797.jpeg
Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Please forgive this likely dumb question- I’ve been reading through some of these detailing threads and came across the idea of “knocking back” or “knocking down” in regards to tire products. I can’t say I’ve heard this term before, but I am guessing it means to wipe off any excess after it has a chance to work into the rubber. Am I on the right track here?

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
I've never heard the term...then again I don't need to know what it is supposed to mean. Bottom line is when you put gobs of shit shine on a dirty tire, guess what happens.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've never heard the term...then again I don't need to know what it is supposed to mean. Bottom line is when you put gobs of shit shine on a dirty tire, guess what happens.
We get it, you don't like tire shine. :crackup::crackup:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Please forgive this likely dumb question- I’ve been reading through some of these detailing threads and came across the idea of “knocking back” or “knocking down” in regards to tire products. I can’t say I’ve heard this term before, but I am guessing it means to wipe off any excess after it has a chance to work into the rubber. Am I on the right track here?
Not a dumb question at all.

"Knocking back" is the detailing term for removing excess tire dressing.

For solvent-based tire dressings, knocking back won't remove much of the gloss, just reduce the chases of sling. I consider this step essential for these dressings. This would include Meguiars Endurance, Meguiars Hot Shine, Gyeon Q2 Tire and Autoglym High Performance Gel.

For water-based tire dressings, I consider knocking back optional. I personally don't bother but I do understand that people like a more subtle look. Water based dressings tend to offer less gloss, are easier to apply and are easier to remove when desired. The drawback is they don't last as long, for someone like me who dresses tires after each wash, that is not a problem. Examples include Carpro Perl, NV Onyx, Autoglym Instant Tire and Gyeon Tire Express.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The mention of having CLEAN tires before applying a dressing is also a good practice.

In general, cleaning tires increases dressing durability, reduces the chance of sling, makes application of dressings easier and crucially, looks better.

My go to is P&S Brake Buster at FULL strength. While you can dilute this product for wheel cleaning, for rubber cleaning it needs to be undiluted.

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

P&S Undressed is another good option -

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

Shine Supply Wise Guy would have to be probably the strongest tire cleaner. This stuff does need to be diluted!

IMG-0037.jpg

IMG-1642.jpg

With any of these products, you want to keep applying, scrubbing and rinsing until no more brown appears. This is what a "clean" tire looks like with regular cleaning, the product will turn white and not brown.

IMG-1551.jpg

For brushes, you absolutely want the new Detail Factory Tire Scrub Brush, the best on the market!

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

If you want to go ballistic on tires, get yourself some Stoners Tarminator. This is a strong solvent that deep cleans tires. Apply to a towel and rub aggressively.

IMG_3801.jpg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
D: I know I have never used Brake Buster at 100 percent on any wheels/tires. Also pretty sure the new rubber on the car is ultra clean but...I'm gonna use your trick on her car's tires and the big PITA tires on the truck. I keep 'em pretty clean but I bet I'll see brown with BB at 100. BTW, love that brush and use it every time..thanks again amigo.

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
I have used cover all on my tires. Tires look like they were just clear coated. Doesnt sling, asts a while but its a aerosol.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
D: I know I have never used Brake Buster at 100 percent on any wheels/tires. Also pretty sure the new rubber on the car is ultra clean but...I'm gonna use your trick on her car's tires and the big PITA tires on the truck. I keep 'em pretty clean but I bet I'll see brown with BB at 100. BTW, love that brush and use it every time..thanks again amigo.
Brake Buster at 100% is pretty strong, for tires that is fine, on wheels you would only use it like that if you were dealing with stubborn brake dust.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Copy that, D and yep, I was talking about using it on the other vehicles' tires. I know "brown" very well but have never been able to make it all go bye bye, now I know how. :-)

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Copy that, D and yep, I was talking about using it on the other vehicles' tires. I know "brown" very well but have never been able to make it all go bye bye, now I know how. :-)
I'm a member of the Autogeek forum, I often get people posting about how crap Brake Buster is and that it's only good for light maintenance washes. When I ask how they are using the product, the response is almost always "I diluted it at..........". When I show it's ability at full strength and ask that they at least give it a try, the story changes. It's not like the product is especially expensive.

While Brake Buster can be diluted, and probably should be for maintenance washes, it doesn't mean is should always be. In fact, P&S don't mention dilution or dilution ratios in their product description -

Brake Buster Total Wheel Cleaner – P & S Detail Products (psdetailproducts.com)

luke1333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sierra
Ammo Mud, one coat for deep black, two or more for shiny