skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Do you have it applied to PS4S's?

I haven't applied it to mine as I tend to stick to OG Tire, which seems to work very well with PS4S.
I do not personally but I applied to my friend's Bullitt which had them, he has put on Continentals now. It was a good experience, it is a little grabby going on, I use a hexagon shaped foam applicator. I have NItto tires on my Mustang (UGH, gotta remedy that soon they SUCK), I have BF Goodrich on my Mazda. They have some smooth sections, it looks really good on them.

THis is on my Mazda before the final wipe off. These tires have a smooth sidewall as well.

IMG_0760.jpeg
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
No offense, Alex, but that's a bit shinier than my preference.
True. But this is before the final wipe. I didn't get a picture afterward. I am bad on follow up pics lOL. I will take a picture of how my Mustang currently sits later today when it gets daylight. It has had Darkside applied for a couple weeks now in the garage and looks perfect to me.. Here is a picture of my Mazda the next day, a shot a few feet away but the sheen is knocked back quite a bit.
IMG_0774.jpeg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
But this is before the final wipe.
Ahh..roger on the missing wipe down, Alex, that changes things. Standing by for photos of the wiped version.

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Ahh..roger on the missing wipe down, Alex, that changes things. Standing by for photos of the wiped version.
I tried to take a Pic before I left for work but the light wasn't great. Really cloudy outside and a flashlight wouldn't give a great representation. I will back it outside when I get home from work and take a few pictures.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I really like Perl. At full strength and before any kind of wipe down, it does have a glossy wet look. If you prefer not to wipe it down, the gloss does dissipate after a couple days. This is after a couple days of driving around. Sorry for the bad lighting, I had to keep the garage door closed as itā€™s raining pretty hard here

IMG_2045.jpeg

IMG_2046.jpeg

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
@kilobravo , OK here goes. I backed the car out this afternoon and took a picture of the 2 on the passenger side in the sun (right side for us US folk :) ) . Here are pics of the front and then the rear treated with Darkside after 2 weeks and a couple of short drives, 150 miles maybe in total in sunny no rain weather. Still a nice dark tire, very little sheen and pretty clean overall. Just the way I like it. Wheels are a little dusty, damn those factory pads and the Brembo's.

IMG_0833.jpeg

IMG_0834.jpeg

OK so to give a fair comparison, I took a microfiber and some KCx Green Star diluted 10:1 and wiped them down. Then I reapplied a light coat of Darkside with a microfiber applicator, waited a few minutes (probably 30 or so) and went around one circular wipe with an old terry dish towel I keep in the garage just for that purpose. Here is the result. Maybe a touch more sheen, a little darker. Still a nice clean natural look to me.

IMG_0836.jpeg

IMG_0837.jpeg

Same right front tire after pulling in the garage. My right front is right by a door with windows in it. Definitely shows the darkness and a little bit of gloss... A little streaky cause I did a quick crappy job wiping off the excess but you get the idea ;)

IMG_0840.jpeg

As I have mentioned before I am definitely not a fan of the glazed donut look (sorry I showed the picture of my glazed Mazda tire before I knocked it back), I like a nice natural looking tire and I think Darkside gives that and it being solvent based it tends to stay that way for a while. If you drive it in the rain, I have found on my first couple of weekly washes, I just wipe the tire with my wheel wash mit and Reset after I have cleaned the wheel, it knocks off the outer layer of grime and tire is still fairly clean underneath. Usually by the third wash however I take Retyre and scrub it off and start over as it starts to brown up a bit.

Also I have used Perl quite a bit as well, it looks very similar especially after you knock it back, just fades really fast and if you try to wash it at all being water based it's gone.

Last edited:

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I really like Perl. At full strength and before any kind of wipe down, it does have a glossy wet look. If you prefer not to wipe it down, the gloss does dissipate after a couple days. This is after a couple days of driving around. Sorry for the bad lighting, I had to keep the garage door closed as itā€™s raining pretty hard here

IMG_2045.jpeg

IMG_2046.jpeg
I concur, I really like Perl as well however I always knock it back. I like a simple black clean tire look, zero to little shine..

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I concur, I really like Perl as well however I always knock it back. I like a simple black clean tire look, zero to little shine..
Yeah I typically give it a wipe down to knock some of the gloss down but figured Iā€™d give it a try without a wipe down and see what I thought. Iā€™m undecided but probably leaning towards the wipe down to knock the gloss down a bit. They way it sits now after a few days of driving is good, has a bit of sheen to it but not blinding gloss.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Still a nice clean natural look to me.
NOW, we're talkin', Alex!

just fades really fast
THAT has been the one thing about Perl that I do not like. My Darkside showed up yesterday so when I have an afternoon free in the next week or so, I'll give Sarah a bath and check it out.

The thing is, I get rather angry after a couple days of driving. The paint still looks great but the tires, not so much.

Thanks again, Alex and I will let y'all know. Gotta get this new deck project behind me first.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
NOW, we're talkin', Alex!

THAT has been the one thing about Perl that I do not like. My Darkside showed up yesterday so when I have an afternoon free in the next week or so, I'll give Sarah a bath and check it out.

The thing is, I get rather angry after a couple days of driving. The paint still looks great but the tires, not so much.

Thanks again, Alex and I will let y'all know. Gotta get this new deck project behind me first.
Hope you like it. I sure do. Yes it gets dirty but just some soap and water and it looks good again. For a couple washes for me at least. And it a smells good too šŸ˜. Bonus...

Last edited:

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Sooo, I received a new shipment this week. I have got to say, although I love Perl and Darkside, those up to this point are the only dressings I have used besides CG VRP and Meguiars Endurance Gel. I like VRP OK, its longevity is nonexistent nowever and Meguiars slings terrible, WAY too shiny glazed donut look and attracts dust like crazy..

I got some KCx Plast Star this week and holy cow, I LOVE this stuff. Has to be the easiest dressing I have ever applied. Very thin liquid, just glides on with a Microfiber applicator. Dries almost instantly. The sheen is a little glossy at first but looks better in a few minutes. No need to knock back as it dries and is there almost instantly. I put it on my daily driver, will see how it lasts soon enough as I drive almost 1k miles a week. I know Perl and even Darkside gets nasty really quickly, darkside at least you can clean the tire and it is still present somewhat for at least a couple of cleanings, Perl not so much....

Gonna get some Gyeon Tire Express at some point to try, I have seen good reviews on it..

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Sooo, I received a new shipment this week. I have got to say, although I love Perl and Darkside, those up to this point are the only dressings I have used besides CG VRP and Meguiars Endurance Gel. I like VRP OK, its longevity is nonexistent nowever and Meguiars slings terrible, WAY too shiny glazed donut look and attracts dust like crazy..

I got some KCx Plast Star this week and holy cow, I LOVE this stuff. Has to be the easiest dressing I have ever applied. Very thin liquid, just glides on with a Microfiber applicator. Dries almost instantly. The sheen is a little glossy at first but looks better in a few minutes. No need to knock back as it dries and is there almost instantly. I put it on my daily driver, will see how it lasts soon enough as I drive almost 1k miles a week. I know Perl and even Darkside gets nasty really quickly, darkside at least you can clean the tire and it is still present somewhat for at least a couple of cleanings, Perl not so much....

Gonna get some Gyeon Tire Express at some point to try, I have seen good reviews on it..
Got some pics to share with the class?