The Trinity fits (Dave Perciak)

OP
OP

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
The "floor pan" and everything else has a new part number, but it came from the S197 (which came from the DEW, where expensive parts like the floorpan and gas tank were carried over to save considerable development costs). The basis for the S550 is the S197 CAD. That's where they started.
"All new" is a very gray term... but the starting basis is the S197. I was at the press briefing and this was a major topic. The Ford people had been prepped thoroughly to use only certain terms here. But clearly the S197 is where this came from.
And it doesn't matter... too much has been made of this. It's actually a good thing because the Mustang cannot warrant a totally new brand new platform. Reusing the old one was the only way to get to the point of the S550. And it allowed Ford to use what money they did have for this budget to put it into the right places. And "right places" is the bottom line here.
Sponsored

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
His comment that the Trinity will fit inside the S550 doesn't mean Ford is going to put it there.

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue
His comment that the Trinity will fit inside the S550 doesn't mean Ford is going to put it there.
More insightfull as to possible future plans is his comment "We’ve not excluded it from fitting", removing the double negative, the logical extrapolation of which is "we have ensured it fits"...or ..."we have included it as an option for fittment"

Sponsored

86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Personally I don't want to see the Trinity in there. It's old tech and imho doesn't fit with the new image of the car or Fords goals for the car. I'd prefer to see the supposed N/A Voodoo as opposed to boost right off the bat.

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
Personally I don't want to see the Trinity in there. It's old tech and imho doesn't fit with the new image of the car or Fords goals for the car. I'd prefer to see the supposed N/A Voodoo as opposed to boost right off the bat.
You will see a halo n/a car.
But, im curious as to what you classify as old tech about the condor family?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
A halo car? Could there also be a FI halo car, too?

We did have the Boss 302 and GT500 at the same time previously.......

:)

OP
OP

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
Lighter? Maybe not. At the press briefing, the Ford people were all told to not mention weight at all. When pressed, they said they "met their goals" for the project, and those goals were the driving character of the car - not weight specifically. So weight is not being discussed. And all the electronic accessories and the cooled seats will just add more weight.
And they are still figuring out option mix, so an exact final weight is not available yet. When pressed for a weight of just the body shell, they wouldn't talk. The operative message is that it doesn't matter.
Which is a shame, because the next Camaro is going to a far more chassis. Whatever they do, it *will* weight less than it does now, and a lot less.

Sponsored

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
They have said "weight goals"... Whatever that means. I've seen it more then once.
-When asked if the 2015 Mustang is lighter, the engineers told us “it is within our goals for weight.”-
http://www.bbkperformance.com/blog/?p=1176

Either they are holding out a pleasant surprise, or they want to demonstrate the performance capabilities before admitting it hasn't lightened up.

86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Just the modular design in general, notably the long stroke that limits it's rpm. I know they have the current GT500 listed at 7,000rpm but it's really an "over rev" feature they created by reducing the weight of the pistons/rings. I don't think it's bad by any means, and think it could deserve a place in a bruiser like the Mach 1. I'd also prefer to see a set of turbos on the 5.0 rather than the supercharge on a 5.8. Overall I do believe the 5.0 is a more capable motor to work off of.

I'm glad we're seeing an N/A halo car. I loved the 96-01 4V Cobra's and the 03-04 Mach 1s.

C00KIE M0NSTER

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Lighter? Maybe not. At the press briefing, the Ford people were all told to not mention weight at all. When pressed, they said they "met their goals" for the project, and those goals were the driving character of the car - not weight specifically. So weight is not being discussed. And all the electronic accessories and the cooled seats will just add more weight.
And they are still figuring out option mix, so an exact final weight is not available yet. When pressed for a weight of just the body shell, they wouldn't talk. The operative message is that it doesn't matter.
Which is a shame, because the next Camaro is going to a far more chassis. Whatever they do, it *will* weight less than it does now, and a lot less.
From a Q&A with Ford Project Lead Prakash Patel...
CarCrazyJay said:
Is the wheelbase length the same as the previous generation. And how much will the car weigh? Can we expect an updated version of the coyote? These are all need to know questions for us
Wheelbase is same as today's car. The 5.0L engine has been significantly updated including 420+ HP and 390+ ft-lbs of torque. As far as the weight is concerned, we are still in midst of confirming our final weight but the team has set very aggressive targets and we are on track to achieve those.
Now if gaining weight is considered very aggressive, then I want some of the stuff the Mustang team is smoking. :headbonk: